Capacity - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Capacity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

9mm because I suck

Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
This idea that some people have that they are going to put a few handgun rounds in someone and stop them is unlikely at best.
Tell that to the thousands upon thousands of bad guys put down with a revolver or only a few shots from a semi.

Your story is the exception, not the norm.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-25-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #73

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
The only way you will know that is if someone is shooting at you and the bullets are buzzing round your ear. Accuracy could go out the window in that situation no matter how good someone is at the range. So extra rounds could come in handy.
+1...............

Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2438 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Tell that to the thousands upon thousands of bad guys put down with a revolver or only a few shots from a semi.

Your story is the exception, not the norm.
It is more and more frequent in law enforcement for bad guys to keep fighting even after receiving fatal wounds. They are usually drunk or high. It is only a matter of time before the same situation happens to a CCP. I hope they have enough rounds and can create enough distance to stop the threat before they get hurt.

The goal when shooting the bad guy is not to kill them. It is to stop them from doing what they're doing. Death does that effectively. Sometimes they keep fighting until they bleed all the way out and their body shuts down. As I stated earlier, the fastest this will happen outside of a direct CNS (spinal cord or dome shot) hit is by severing the femoral artery. The number I heard thrown around in training was 4-6 seconds. That's still plenty of time for them to keep shooting at you, stabbing you etc. anything else including exploding the heart still leaves 30-60 seconds of bodily function and sometimes longer.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #75

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Sgt. Timothy Gramins who fired 17 .45-cal. rounds into a hell-bent suspect before putting him down offers these lessons learned from his extraordinary fight for his life
At the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations.
And the attacker lived? Fascinating...

Old 08-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #76

Liked 2763 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 2660

Quote:
Yes and statistics also show that you are very unlikely to ever need to use your firearm for defence. But that doesint stop you carrying one. So you carry a firearm just in case but not extra ammo just in case strange logic. Also hitting the target when the bullets are coming your way could be a lot harder than when you are shooting at the range.
Why is that strange logic. Using your logic we might as well carry 500 extra rounds. Where do you draw the line on what is enough. Hell if one fire extinguisher is nice why not have 30 of them in your house? If more is always better then let's get a back pack and fill it with ammo just in case. It's prudent to be prepared it's just nuts to over do it. Frankly that's how you will be portrayed in the media if you do have to use your firearm and you are carrying a lot of ammo. They'll just say you were out looking for trouble. You're going to the store not a combat zone.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #77

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282

Why is that strange logic. Using your logic we might as well carry 500 extra rounds. Where do you draw the line on what is enough. Hell if one fire extinguisher is nice why not have 30 of them in your house? If more is always better then let's get a back pack and fill it with ammo just in case. It's prudent to be prepared it's just nuts to over do it. Frankly that's how you will be portrayed in the media if you do have to use your firearm and you are carrying a lot of ammo. They'll just say you were out looking for trouble. You're going to the store not a combat zone.
In my opinion, a 15 round mag with an extra mag in the belt is enough!! If I need more Im probably in a war and I'm dead, no matter how much ammo I might be toting!!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

In my opinion, a 15 round mag with an extra mag in the belt is enough!! If I need more Im probably in a war and I'm dead, no matter how much ammo I might be toting!!
+1, when im CC off duty with a full sized sidearm, I carry 1 extra mag. With a subcompact I carry 2 extra mags. The 2 mags for one of my subcompacts take up a little less space than 1 mag for my full sized guns, so it evens out

Total rounds: About 30 with a full sized weapon. About 22 with a sub compact.

And again, if the media shows up they are going to distort the story to support their views no matter what you use to shoot the bad guy with. And no matter how many mags you happen to have on you at the time. You could shoot the guy with a single shot .22 pen gun and if they want to make a story out of it, they will.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-25-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #79

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I have to question the 11% accuracy rate in police shootings. From what I've read the average officer can expect about a 35% decrease in accuracy from their qualification scores.

That means an officer that typically qualifies at 85% will shoot with about 50% accuracy in a real life situation.

In my shooting I hit the other guy with 4 out of 7 shots which is 57% accuracy. Given that I shoot over 90% on every qualification in the past 19 years of LE I'd say the 35% estimate is pretty close.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Q
I have to question the 11% accuracy rate in police shootings. From what I've read the average officer can expect about a 35% decrease in accuracy from their qualification scores.

That means an officer that typically qualifies at 85% will shoot with about 50% accuracy in a real life situation.

In my shooting I hit the other guy with 4 out of 7 shots which is 57% accuracy. Given that I shoot over 90% on every qualification in the past 19 years of LE I'd say the 35% estimate is pretty close.
11% was the number I was told during my first POST firearms school. But that was a very long time ago. Maybe with the better training and better weapons the average has come up.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"