Capacity - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Capacity

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 899
Liked 162 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Lol. Haven't had too many zombies in my area but you're Absolutely right from the reports I've seen.

Nothing like trying to keep your head on straight when someone is trying to take it off. The closest you can come to training for it (on a standard range) is to sprint around a bit and then bang out 50 pushups, grab your gun and shoot. It's amazing what heavy breathing and shaking arms will do to your accuracy.
Even more of a case for high capacity!! Lol I love the language-
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 11,054
Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Default

I have seen people miss targets at 10 feet!

Granted the range does not allow for targets to shoot back, but just the pressure of a competition can rattle someone.

(How many take a brief run up and down the range and try to hit targets when out of breath?)
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

I don't fault anyone for wanting higher capacity guns. I can perfectly understand the argument.

For myself, however, later on I might bank on statistics being in my favor. IF I ever have to use my gun, presenting it will probably be enough. IF I do have to pull the trigger, one time will prolly be enough to scare him off. IF he doesn't scare easily, 1-3 hits should be enough to stop the threat.

IF multiple bad guys come after me, I'll adjust my shots accordingly.

I'd rather be comforted knowing that the wheel gun in my belt will definitely fire six times, than worry that the semi-auto in my belt might misfire one too many times.

Plus, I'll take the stopping power of .357 Magnum all day, every day over 9mm.

I do love my 9mms, though. And if I had to, I'd trust my life on either of my M&Ps.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 899
Liked 162 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
I don't fault anyone for wanting higher capacity guns. I can perfectly understand the argument.

For myself, however, later on I might bank on statistics being in my favor. IF I ever have to use my gun, presenting it will probably be enough. IF I do have to pull the trigger, one time will prolly be enough to scare him off. IF he doesn't scare easily, 1-3 hits should be enough to stop the threat.

IF multiple bad guys come after me, I'll adjust my shots accordingly.

I'd rather be comforted knowing that the wheel gun in my belt will definitely fire six times, than worry that the semi-auto in my belt might misfire one too many times.

Plus, I'll take the stopping power of .357 Magnum all day, every day over 9mm.

I do love my 9mms, though. And if I had to, I'd trust my life on either of my M&Ps.
357 mag is awesome caliber!! If I could carry anything in 4" comfortably I probably would!!
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,173
Liked 6729 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Default

Don't worry revolvers aren't jam free and do malfunction just like semis. Only when a revolver goes to hell it usually takes tools to get it working again.

Revolvers can suffer from lint dirt debris in the cylinder pawl area, overlong ammo not letting the cylinder turn , high primers or thick rims sticking the cylinder. I see it happen ALL the time in cowboy action shooting. Incident rates about the same as semis.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Don't worry revolvers aren't jam free and do malfunction just like semis. Only when a revolver goes to hell it usually takes tools to get it working again.

Revolvers can suffer from lint dirt debris in the cylinder pawl area, overlong ammo not letting the cylinder turn , high primers or thick rims sticking the cylinder. I see it happen ALL the time in cowboy action shooting. Incident rates about the same as semis.
I know. But I'll be using factory ammo so the ammo/cases won't be an issue. And I shoot my guns often enough, and clean often enough, that I'll know about it before he issue comes up.

Ideally.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jjones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 592
Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

Default

Give me the 10 of .45 acp, unless I have more than 3 threats, then I will take my m&p9. If its life and death with a big bear, say a Kodiak bear the .357 is a must
jjones45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 899
Liked 162 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45
Give me the 10 of .45 acp, unless I have more than 3 threats, then I will take my m&p9. If its life and death with a big bear, say a Kodiak bear the .357 is a must
Sounds like you want all 3!! That's the whole point!! Power or capacity??
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 3,370
Liked 3198 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 2962

Default

I don't think I've ever seen it reported that someone needed to use all 15, 17 or 8 rounds for that matter to resolve a self defense situation. Police and military not included. I'll take 8 or 9 slow and heavy bullets, if for no other reason than to hold collateral damage to a minimum. If I need more I have another mag. Personally I'd feel just fine carrying a SAA in 45 colt with 6 300 grain bullets.
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Glock Certified Armorer In Occupied USA
Posts: 2,268
Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

In the past, I was all about high capacity to put.me at ease. I am rethinking that. First I went from a Glock 20 with plus five on the mag, to a Glock 19 with a plus two, now I ordered a special mag that only holds eight, tops.

Mag has a lock built in, to shut the gun down. Mag shows up next week, I will do a review of it.
AR10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Tube fed Capacity. dteed4094 Legal and Activism 3 01-16-2013 01:48 AM
What exactly is a Hi capacity magazine? gunnut07 The Club House 21 08-10-2012 09:18 PM
Round capacity Subcomp9 XD Forum 11 04-29-2012 07:06 PM
Mag Capacity and Hunting? TLuker General Rifle Discussion 11 12-15-2011 10:45 PM
Novel Question: Round Capacity SDJonathan Ammunition & Reloading 25 12-17-2010 10:04 AM



Newest Threads