Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Capacity

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #131
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
18 of 9mm, 10 of 45, or 6 of 357mag!! I believe these are the high end capacity of most guns in these calibers!! Choose 1 for life or death random situation! And you can use any type of ammo via HP or FMJ ect. I also believe, these are universally the most popular calibers! Just a fun thread!!
My .45acp holds 13+1. I like a little slack.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #132
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 891
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner
And thinking most BGs attack with a 6 shooter or even an 8 round mag, is at best, a coin flip chance!! Just cause they are Criminals, doesn't mean they are not educated on modern weapons!! I have to assume they(BG) are well prepared, I have to counter that assumption by being equally prepared!!

The funny thing about this statement is that you made the presumption that the bad guy at that moment was a bad guy that morning. What I am saying is that usually what separates the law abiding citizen from your common criminal is one bad decision. Thats what I tell the imates and Officers I work with.
I can only go on my own personal experience, never once have I decided that hurting innocent people would be ok, and I've made some really stupid decision!! My personal opinion, violent criminals is a flaw in character, fueled by bad advice or a poor example, via. mom and dad!! Somebody had to teach them or show them violence was ok!! Maybe the actual Act of violence is not thought up so early in the day!! But the fact that violence could be an option was created long before!!
__________________
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #133
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,238
Liked 20937 Times on 11894 Posts
Likes Given: 52503

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
You would wonder how the guy hit 14 times kept on fighting with all that blood gashing out of him from the .45 hits.
have you ever seen a person cranked up on meth, speed or PCP? when you do, then maybe you might have a better understanding of how someone can still function with multiple bullet holes in them. many of these types of situations, only a shot that dirupts thje CNS will stop them quickly. severe blood loss and trauma are not going to fast enough. the biggest problem is they may be clinically dead for the most part, they just don't realize it yet.

a normal person when shot will go into shock with massive blood loss, because their body realizes that there is massive damage to the body and is trying to protect itself. a person hyped up on drugs is a much different person. huge amounts of adrenaline are flowing, drugs are masking pain, and many other things are going on.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
Rick1967 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #134
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,470
Liked 382 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default

Quote:
have you ever seen a person cranked up on meth, speed or PCP? when you do, then maybe you might have a better understanding of how someone can still function with multiple bullet holes in them.
I was replying to the post bellow and disagreeing with it. I was and pointing out that people can take multiple hits and still fight. Is that not the same as what you are saying.

Quote:
generally you don't survive a couple 45 hits to the body
__________________
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #135
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,238
Liked 20937 Times on 11894 Posts
Likes Given: 52503

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I was replying to the post bellow and disagreeing with it. I was and pointing out that people can take multiple hits and still fight. Is that not the same as what you are saying.
but the fact i am trying to make that i tried earlier, that seemed to evade your comprehension, is in a SD shooting, you are not looking to kill your attacker. you are simply trying to stop a threat. a person not on drugs may stop with only one or two shots from a 45 or any other caliber for that matter. a person on drugs may not stop immediately even with many rounds in him.

your only objective is to stop the threat and to survive. nothing more, and nothing less. if you put 15 shots of 45's into a BG hopped up on drugs, i am pretty sure they might question your reasoning for so many shots into one person. when they do a tox screen on the BG, they will fully understand why you did so.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
JW357 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,470
Liked 382 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default

Quote:
a person not on drugs may stop with only one or two shots from a 45 or any other caliber for that matter. a person on drugs may not stop immediately even with many rounds in him.
Is that not what I said in my post below and in previous posts am I missing something it seems to be evading your comprehension.

Quote:
I was and pointing out that people can take multiple hits and still fight.
Quote:
Sgt. Timothy Gramins who fired 17 .45-cal. rounds into a hell-bent suspect before putting him down offers these lessons learned from his extraordinary fight for his life
At the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations.
Quote:
In this free-for-all, the assailant had, in fact, been struck 14 times. Any one of six of these wounds — in the (heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney) — could have produced fatal consequences…“in time,” Gramins emphasizes.
Quote:
PS This idea that some people have that they are going to put a few handgun rounds in someone and stop them is unlikely at best.
So you are basically saying the same as me eg people can take multiple hits and still fight and you can't depend on a couple of shots stopping the fight. And then disagreeing with what I said, Strange way of thinking.
__________________

Last edited by manta; 08-26-2013 at 10:20 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #137
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,724
Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

I wouldn't even consider a Glock with a 10 round magazine in it "high capacity."

In my view, someone who carries a 10 round magazine with another 15 rounder on his body hasn't fully bought into the capacity argument. He's more concerned with concealability than capacity. If capacity were the "end all, be all" for handgunning, that person with a 10 round magainze would replace it with a 15, and the extra 15 on his belt would turn into a 30 (31? 33? I have no idea what it actually is).

So, for carring 10+1 and another 15, I see little difference between that and someone that carries 8+1 and another 16 (I'm assuming two extra magazines here).

One amounts to 26 and one amounts to 25. One round difference??

Confused yet?

__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #138
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

VP Biden says that a double barreled shotgun is plenty, not much capacity.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #139
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

Look at civilian shootings where a legal gun owner stops a threat. Face it spanky, you are not a a TV CSI cop or running around Bagdad then you will not need the ammo you perceive unless you are just a horrid shot to begin with. The idea that a civilian carrying a handgun will need 50+ rounds of ammo just doesn't happen. But hey, carry it all and a back up gun and some throwing stars if you feel the need. Me I just see what happens in the real world involving other as well as my personal experience.
I'm not a uber bad operator that needs two/three 16+ round mags to get tampons for my wife at a convenient store. Maybe you have that problem. I think I'd spend my money on a moving van though. Because it does not sound like a place I'd raise my kids.

I have went out with a five shot revolver and not felt under gunned. Usually it's just a 8+1 1911 though. Because I can group at 3" at 25 yards after running around and getting my heart pumping hard.

You do understand that you are responsible for every round that leaves your weapon right? You do yourself a much better service to carry what you shoot best. I'd hate to think I needed 50 rounds of ammo to leave my house because I was not sure I could do it otherwise. And I'd be pretty much ashamed if I couldn't put the first three rounds on target while under duress. I wouldn't and didn't carry until I could. I'll be damned if I have a round fly off someplace and hurt somneone just because I thought it was better to use more ammo to remove a threat.

Unlike on TV or movies you just don't see civilians in some massive fire fight. I actually can't remember hearing about any SD situation where the CCW used over 5 rounds. I'm sure it has happened, I just have not heard of it. I'd be more than surprised if the good guy used nine rounds. The average according to most sources I've seen is three. My personal experience showed me even less was needed.

So no, it's not a crystal ball, it's doing research and training as much as I can. It's looking at the experiences of others as well as my own.
Personally I don't care how many rounds yo or anyone else wants to pack around. It's your right to carry 5, 500, or 5000 rounds if that's what you want to. I'm just wiling to bet you wont need it. The odds are pretty good that you wil never fire a round and God willing I hope that's the case. I'm just saying capacity is no replacement for training. And when we are talking about using a took that can end a life in a split second. I believe you owe it to yourself and everyone else to do so as much as you can to insure that you wont end up with your tit in a wringer because you let a round fly that missed it's intended target but hit something you didn't want to.
A lot of baaad assumptions being made here. I'll only address 2 of them.

1) If you are concealed carrying, that means automatically that you are preparing for an extremely unlikely event.

That you will have a reason to use your firearm on another human being.

If you do, you are already dipping into the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY. So why do some of you gentleman automatically decide that its LIKELY the bad guy you will meet will be the kind who dies nicely?

2) Just because I carry a lot of rounds does not mean I am not accurate. And it does not mean that I have to use them all. If the bad guy drops at 1, I am not sending my others down range. But at least I have them if he doesn't. Do I expect to NEED them? No. I don't expect to NEED to shoot someone at all. But I'm preparing for the unexpected sir, not the expected.
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
DeltaF is offline  
manta Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #140
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner

That could be true because not a 100% of handguns are 45's.
And the myth lives on.

With modern bonded hollow points there is not the huge difference that you claim.

image-603299759.jpg
(Picture found here: http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#Why%20not%20M193/M855)
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Tube fed Capacity. dteed4094 Legal and Activism 3 01-16-2013 01:48 AM
What exactly is a Hi capacity magazine? gunnut07 The Club House 21 08-10-2012 09:18 PM
Round capacity Subcomp9 XD Forum 11 04-29-2012 07:06 PM
Mag Capacity and Hunting? TLuker General Rifle Discussion 11 12-15-2011 10:45 PM
Novel Question: Round Capacity SDJonathan Ammunition & Reloading 25 12-17-2010 10:04 AM



Newest Threads