Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Can't trade my Kimber! Is the 1911 on the way out? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/cant-trade-my-kimber-1911-way-out-74558/)

DodgerBlue 10-18-2012 02:36 AM

Traded the Kimber!

Since I bought my Nano and Have a 2nd Kimber I decided to trade my full size match grade Kimber Custom II. All I was asking for was a Beretta Inox or a PX4sc and like 150. 200 hundy cash.

Hardly a few nibbles is all. I can't believe it. I mean plenty of offers but only 2 real offers I would do. two!

And I ask why?

Must a person choose? Plastic compact or 1911. no middle ground? is the 1911 on the way out?

Before I was able to come into my first Kimber I would have traded every firearm I had to get one.

I don't get it

bigjim 10-18-2012 02:54 AM

You have many of the popular models (XDm, PX4c, Stoeger, and others) coming out with larger round numbers in their magazines than the standard single stack 1911 mag.

If they could increase the mag to 10 rounds the 1911 might fly eventhough it is a SA pistol.

Even the Glock in 45 ACP holds more than the 1911, Model 21 (13 rounds) or a FNP-45 Tac (15 rounds).

A lot of people still like the 1911 frame and trigger, but it might see less and less sales because of the high price and low round count.

Jim

DodgerBlue 10-18-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjim (Post 980955)
You have many of the popular models (XDm, PX4c, Stoeger, and others) coming out with larger round numbers in their magazines than the standard single stack 1911 mag.

If they could increase the mag to 10 rounds the 1911 might fly eventhough it is a SA pistol.

Even the Glock in 45 ACP holds more than the 1911, Model 21 (13 rounds) or a FNP-45 Tac (15 rounds).

A lot of people still like the 1911 frame and trigger, but it might see less and less sales because of the high price and low round count.

Jim

Bigjim, that was a hella good response! No fanboy b.s. or this gun sucks and that rules.

Good post brother! Thanks. I never looked it how you broke it down.

Olympus 10-18-2012 03:02 AM

Just have to consider that the Custom II is Kimber's base model. There are a lot of competitors in that price range that have a better warranty and fewer MIM parts. And used Custom IIs aren't exactly hard to find either, so you have those to compete with as well.

Just something to consider.

Dillinger 10-18-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 980959)
Just have to consider that the Custom II is Kimber's base model. There are a lot of competitors in that price range that have a better warranty and fewer MIM parts. And used Custom IIs aren't exactly hard to find either, so you have those to compete with as well.

Just something to consider.

Save your breath. This one is a lost cause.

Axxe55 10-18-2012 03:14 AM

Dodger, personally i don't think the 1911 will ever fade away. i do agree with BigJim's assessment of what is going on with magazine capacity. lot of it's just plain economics and what people are able to afford. the 1911 has a loyal following of enthusiasts who will always buy them.

polymer pistols are here to stay and have found a market that sustains it. just about every pistol manufacterer now makes a pistol in polymer now. people like the lighter weight, higher ammo capacity and the reliability of them. they come in most all of the popular pistol calibers, come in different sizes to suit a persons needs and simply put, most of them are pretty dang accurate. could be why i like my XDm40!

now 1911's are classic, and timeless in design and function. they are still one of the most popular and iconic pistols designs ever. people love them.

so for me, i like both types and own both types. nobody says you can't have different pistols for different purposes. more the merrier!

Rick1967 10-18-2012 03:22 AM

I dont think the 1911 will ever dissapear. I have nothing against other types of guns. I own losts of different types of weapons. I am not going to bash anybody else. If somebody loves Glock...hey thats fine with me. But there is a cult like following of the 1911. And some of the ones being built are complete works of art. But you have to think about the economy. Some people simply dont have any cash to add to a deal. I think a lot of people that are selling or trading guns are doing so because they have no choice. The guy with the cash gets to name the deal these days.

SSGN_Doc 10-18-2012 03:33 AM

What is the round count on your Kimber? We're you looking at used guns as well?

1911s have their fans. Of those fans some folks are brand loyal. Kimber has their fans and those who don't like them. I am a fan of the pre-series II guns from Kimber. The guns I've seen after they went with the Schwartz firing pin safety have had some issues. I also noticed a lot if Kimber barrels get rust even straight out of the box. Not huge flakey rust or pits, but for a stainless barrel to come out of the box with rust on a barrel makes it hard for me to want to carry it.

I don't know what kind of offers you got but by the time you figure in shipping cost, ffl fees, etc. (if you are not doing face to face in the same state), then a trade can seem less attractive also.

Just some other factors to consider.

If you find a Kimber 1911 fan then you may get a good deal but with so many 1911 manufacturers saturating the market right now used 1911s have a lot to compete against.

Eturnsdale 10-18-2012 06:54 AM

While I do like how Jim put it, I don't entirely agree. Yes round count does seem to matter to a lot of folks. But I wouldn't say that you are having a hard time selling your Kimber because of these newer guns. But rather because you can buy new 1911s out there at a much lower cost now a days without sacrificing reliability.

Or maybe you're just asking too much for it.

CHLChris 10-18-2012 08:16 AM

The issue is used. Kimber's warranty doesn't transfer to a new buyer like Springfield's, STI's, or even Taurus:eek:

Personally, I don't think I'd pick up a used Kimber except under certain rare circumstances.