Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm rather new to handguns, but I've been shooting at least twice a week for the past couple of months (my shooting club has great ammo prices for members) and I've noticed a big difference in performance with clean versus dirty guns.

A gunsmith at the club told me that a light cleaning was all I needed, but I'd rather take the extra time and keep my guns as clean as I can.

Plus, I enjoy tinkering with them.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw View Post
NickoD,

I'm not sure what you mean by "sweat" the carbon buildup overtime?...
Well, it was the term I can easiest explain what happens to the gun as it sits there in plain English.

Basically the carbon that sticks on the gun parts will not come out simply by cleaning the weapon after you fire it. While that practice does indeed get most out, if you take your weapon apart about a week later you will notice that your weapon will look still dirty. That's the CLP slowly breaking down any remaining carbon. Thus "sweating".

Hope it's a bit clearer.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #33
cbw

Yes,that makes more sense to my small brain. When I tear down my 9 MM next week I'll look for some additional grim that was not there last week when I cleaned it (really well) after shooting. Thanx

Last edited by cbw; 10-20-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: sp

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #34

i think everyone is goin to have a opinion on this , mine is i clean mine after every 200 - 300 rounds, just sit at my desk and take my time ,to me its a very fun hobby to collect and shoot guns, i don,t think you can ever over clean a gun,over lube yes, not over clean. i find talking to them also helps .

Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #35

While I agree that your gun can never be too clean, I feel it is unnecessary to clean your gun after each shooting session. Unless you happen to shoot 2,000+ rounds.

If however you won't shoot again for a while (months) I would clean it.

Otherwise I clean my handguns after about 1,500 rnds, give or take a 100.

I think the cleaning your gun after each shooting session is an old habit because back in the day the powders and primers were made from different materials and could be corrosive. That is not the case so much any more.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
i find talking to them also helps .
Hooooo Kayyyyy, you're talking to your guns... And, do they talk back to you???