Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Gun cleaning should be second-nature to you. I enjoy gun cleaning as much as gun shooting... I must be nuts! I love the smell of nitro solvent...

Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
cbw

Default Warning on my experience with Hoppes Gun Grease

Hi,

Broke down my HP 9MM Browning today which I had cleaned and put away about six months ago. I had used Hoppes Gun Grease on this one which is suppose to be for long term storage. Well it was almost seized up! The grease had hardened to the point of making the slide stick and I doubt if my wife could have pulled the slide back at all. I like Hoppes products in fact I used quite a bit of #9 to clean the grease off. After some serious scrubbing with a toothbrush covered with #9, some 6" swab sticks to pick it out of the slide groves I got it clean. The gun was kept inside, in a safe so the environment was not a factor. The grease was like a hard candle wax, which does not promote smooth sliding action of mechanical parts.

My lesson learned Hoppes gun grease;
- Has a limited shelf life (as this was an older tube)
- Gets hard in six months and could make your gun inoperable
- Should be provide to local gangs free of charge

Old 10-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've never had that happen. But I don't use grease either. You may want to re-think the grease...

Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #24

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Sounds like one of those people that say, "You don't need to change your engine oil! Just change the filter and it [the filter] will change it!"

I always clean my guns after I shoot them and I've never wore out a gun by doing that. It sounds like he was trying to sell you something.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #25

My routine now is a bore snake after every range session(usually about 200 rounds) and then a field strip and clean every 400 -500 rounds. All I do is pull the grips off, field strip, and soak the entire gun with Shooter's Choice Foaming Bore Cleaner. Let it soak for about 15 min. or so, brush the entire slide with an old toothbrush, run a bore brush through the barrel,then hose the whole sucker down with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It usually takes about 30 min total. Stubborn fouling on the breechface etc I'll break out the brass brushes.

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #26
cbw

Oh yeah no more grease for me, just letting others know so they can check there gear.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #27

A few tips:

a) Most cleaning lubricants are made to "sweat" the carbon buildup over time. That means that when you clean your weapon, take it apart about a week later and give it a good wipe-down. You will pick up a lot of buildup that way.

b) Do NOT over-lubricate. All you are doing is picking up dust and debris inside your weapon. Unless you are in extreme humid environments you want your gun to have a nice finish on it, not look like it just came out of a Domino's pizza.

c) ALWAYS function check your weapon after cleaning it. If grandpa's clock taught me anything growing up is that there should never be any "extra" parts on the table after I'm done.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #28
cbw

NickoD,

I'm not sure what you mean by "sweat" the carbon buildup overtime? But I may be guilty of over-lubricating and your idea of a week later tear down sounds like a good one. As I have even after wiping them off good, seen a little extra lube on the gun when I take it to the range. Thanx

Wonder what they used the old west to lube their guns, anyone know? Buffalo fat?

Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #29

Liked 271 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Re Hoppes Elite : I think it discolored my brass cleaning rod .
I find that 1911s get " gummy" after 50 rounds or so . A couple drops of oil on the rails helps at this point .
For quick cleaning, I use a combination product ( Break-free, G96 Gun Treatment or Kleenbore . Apply, let soak, Patch/brush/patch the barrel , wipe off everything else and reassemble .
Rentacop

Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #30
cbw

Break-free is good, I'm also using Slicker now which sprays on liquid and turns into a light grease in about 20 seconds. You can really tell the difference after using Slicker when you pull the slide back a few times, it slides so easy.