Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
It doesn't sound like you're familar with what a high quality product GunScrubber is Matt , the weapons ARE clean doing this .

Now when I shoot many 200 Gr LSWC I will hit the inside of the barrel while still wet with a brush for a few minutes .

Loss of accuracy and crispness , no why should there be ?

Despite shooting many Lead SWC's my barrels have no buildup at all in them but then when I do use a brush I always use one that is oversized for all calibers to get into the lands and groves .

As far as how well I shoot , I rarely shoot paper anymore and instead opt for 4 inch DX Iron swingers on my target stand and empty 20 oz soda bottles on a hill out to 25 yards , I don't have a problem regularly hitting them and that is good enough for me .

The guns are Charles Daly 1911's and a Taurus 40 S&W , but it takes a bit more time to clean the revolvers I own .

I did the same basic thing with a Colt 1911 I owned years ago and never saw a loss of accuracy or reliability as the gun never malfunctioned despite thousands of rounds of mixed loads factory and handloads .
I've never used Gun Scrubber, but after your testimony, I'll be buying a can. Hoppe's and a metal brush isn't eating the copper out of my barrel very well and if the Gun Scrubber clears lead like you say, it's got to be good stuff.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3585 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I do not think you can "over clean" a gun. You could "under lube" it, but not over clean. If you ran an oversize brass/bronze brush through the bore a few hundred thousand times it MIGHT cause some wear. I think your shoulder would wear out first.

Gun scrubber is good. If you are getting lead or copper residue left in the barrel w/Hoppes #9, try Shooters Choice bore solvent. It cleans out both as well as plastic wad fouling from shotgun barrels. It is the only bore solvent I use.

Don't forget to clean the magazines after every use. Mags are often times neglected and the most delicate part of a self loading pistol. Kleen Bore makes a good mag brush for single stack pistols, double stack pistols and AR/AK mags. Three brushes at $5 each would be enough for anyone's inventory of guns.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
cbw

Ramrod,

I thought so, but this guy tends to know his $%^t, so I brought the question to the forum. I will do complete tear downs use hoppes, gun scrubber, bore snakes, break free, and slicker. Is this over kill maybe, but I plan on my weapons working every time I ask them to. That's why I asked SGT Miller for input as I know that the servicemen clean their weapon all the time.
Case in point one article talked about bringing a spare gun with you to the range as some individuals had be approached by others after they were empty. I had my Beretta 25 with me in the gun bag. After shooting the 40, and having the range to myself, I took it out and figured I might as well fire some rounds through it as it had not been cleaned or fired in over two years. It was kept in a case and still looked clean, but the bullets would not come out of the magazine. After removing a stubborn stovepipe and field stripping the gun I was able to get the mag out. The little suckers had found a home and would not slide up-down or pop out. I got them worked out, used some of the break free that was running off the slides of the 40 and lubed everything up. Put er back together and she fired like new. When I got home to clean there was a considerable amount nasty that came out of the mag, after some hoppes, patches, and slicker it really slides nice now. Unfortunately this cost me some range time as you pay by the hour and I played fiddle $%^& for about 10 minutes with this little beauty.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've cleaned my M4 rifle and M9 pistol hundreds upon hundreds of times. They are just fine. My accuracy is still good, and the parts show no signs of wear from cleaning.

Continue to do what you are doing. You are right for cleaning your weapon and you have a good routine in place. Don't chage it. Keep your pistol clean, and it'll run good for you. Don't worry about that guy. He may be smart, but that is one area he needs a little refresher education in.

Like I said before in an earlier post. If it comes down to using your weapon to defend your life or your loved one's life, would you rather it be clean and oiled or dirty?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #15

Guys I ran into a similar discussion a few years back on a board and if you've noticed the original Hoppe's #9 isn't doing as good a jobs as bygone days it isn't your imagination .

Seems with all the EPA stuff they changed the formula a long time ago because some of the ingredients were carcinogens .

Another good cleaner is Hoppe's Elite , it is a water based cleaner without the smell you and I like but the wives seem to hate in their house but it isn't cheap running about $5 for a little spray bottle at Walmart if they have it .

If you're so inclined to buy a big bottle "$28 at MidwayUSA" as I did a few years ago here is a tip I stumbled on to after I knocked the bottle over and broke the top .

Find a household product with a foaming spray head and put it on the bottle and when you start to clean your auto pistol first fill up the barrel with Elite "Foam" and let it sit while you clean the frame and slide etc . then hit the barrel a few times with a brush then a patch it should come clean fast .

Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rather than keep trying out different saddles on this horse, I ask the folks who own a good sized part of the barn.

I sent this e-mail to Smith and Wesson.......

Quote:
There has been some local discussion about cleaning firearms "every now and then" vs. cleaning firearms too often, and possibly causing premature wear. For a shooter who shoots 10,000 rounds a year, how often would S&W suggest that the firearm be cleaned, to best care for the firearm.

Regards, Jay
I received this reply... from pgazda@smith-wesson.com

Quote:
Every 500 to 700 rounds should be fine.

PG
I don't agree, but I'm old........

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 10-14-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #17

When I shot High Power in the late 80's and early 90's it was with an old H&R M14. I was under the impression that cleaning it thoroughly after every match or practice was the way to go. It would get stripped down with the action removed from the stock, op rod and bolt removed. After an Old-Shooter heard this he set me on the straight and narrow. Only remove the stock if it is absolutely needed. Run a saturated patch or 2 through the barrel just to say you did. If your accuracy didn't suffer then there would be no need to do the full barrel cleaning.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
When I shot High Power in the late 80's and early 90's it was with an old H&R M14. I was under the impression that cleaning it thoroughly after every match or practice was the way to go. It would get stripped down with the action removed from the stock, op rod and bolt removed. After an Old-Shooter heard this he set me on the straight and narrow. Only remove the stock if it is absolutely needed. Run a saturated patch or 2 through the barrel just to say you did. If your accuracy didn't suffer then there would be no need to do the full barrel cleaning.
Like I said earlier, some gas guns are different.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #19

Maybe I have a touch of ocd, but thinking about just running a bore snake down the barrel and calling it good after a range trip makes me twitch.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #20
cbw

I can't believe what Smith & Wesson said but I'm older too. I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing. There has been some great advice and lots of opinions on this topic. I think I'll research the corrosive properties of gunpowder, copper and lead and submit it as an article. That is as long as complete plagiarism is alright.