Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
cbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can you over clean your gun? Wear it out?

While at the indoor range today, after running another 100 rounds through the Springfield EMP 40 (this time no issues, no stovepipes). I was talking to the range owner about going home and tearing her down and cleaning her and he said why? I responded that I was raised that you clean every time after you shoot and cleaning a pistol mandates tear down. He said that was old school and that all you need to do is spray some "Slicker" (new lube introduced at this years SHOT show) work the slide a few times, which he did while I watched, maybe run a Bore Snake and your good to go. I said No-Way, you have to take it apart to get the nasty out, the response was that you would wear a gun out by constantly unnecessarily taking it apart. (SGT Miller counting out you here!) I went home and took it apart and yes the internals still needed to be brushed with Hoppes #9 to remove the powder residue. After running the Bore Snake through the barrel (these are freaking magic-they also say no need to tear down, yeah your barrel will be clean butt..) Anyway what do you all do? Maybe I'm just old school. The range owner does shoot every day so I understand why he may not do a tear down, just run a snake, slick it and fire another 500 rounds through it. But I cannot afford to shoot that often, I'll probably at the range in about a month, and this is one of my at the ready weapons. Lets here what you do and can you wear a gun out by taking it apart to clean it....

[The odds are always 50/50

Last edited by cbw; 10-14-2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: flow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You aren't going to wear a gun out by dis-assembling and cleaning it. I completely clean and inspect my guns after every shooting session, without exception. Your guns really need to be cleaned and properly lubed if you expect them to be trouble-free and last a life-time.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #3

If that was the case then all of the M-16's used at basic training posts would fall apart when you picked them up. They get cleaned after every range day and sometimes just for good measure. Those rifles are OLD too. They've been cleaned by hundreds, maybe thousands, of privates over their lifespans.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a question that will answer your question.

Would you trust your life to a dirty weapon?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 AM   #5

My past weekend may offer some insight to your query.

I was the assistant to a great shooter (my father-in-law) at a Benchrest match. He's very mature and can use the help moving gear.

The folks at this match all shoot custom built weapons. From actions to stocks to the handloaded rounds, everything is one off.

That said, they clean the bejesus out of everything. Between rounds, they scrub and clean and lube, then dry and shoot, and it all starts all over again. The only thing that may be a factor is the fact that the barrels are especially built for competition and may hold up better to the abuse of constant cleaning?

The folks at this match were shooting pieces worth thousands of dollars. Every detail is a concern to them.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 AM   #6

For something like a semiauto pistol you've only fired a few hundred rounds through I wouldn't get fanatical and detail strip it .

For my pistols after a range trip I usually field strip , hose them down with GunScrubber wipe off the surfaces clean with a soft cloth to remove residue , run a clean patch down the barrel a few times , spray with Breakfree and reassemble .

After about three trips I will scrub the frame , slide and inside of the barrel with a brush for a few seconds . If just sitting in safe I pull them out about once every six months for spot cleaning and about every two months to shoot with some Breakfree and work the actions .

Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

There are gas guns out there that will function better with a little bit of carbon in the gas system, but your average pistol will function much better when sparkling clean. Regardless of what sort of garbage this guy is trying to sell or was fed at SHOT, he's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
For something like a semiauto pistol you've only fired a few hundred rounds through I wouldn't get fanatical and detail strip it .

For my pistols after a range trip I usually field strip , hose them down with GunScrubber wipe off the surfaces clean with a soft cloth to remove residue , run a clean patch down the barrel a few times , spray with Breakfree and reassemble .

After about three trips I will scrub the frame , slide and inside of the barrel with a brush for a few seconds . If just sitting in safe I pull them out about once every six months for spot cleaning and about every two months to shoot with some Breakfree and work the actions .
Don't you shoot well enough to notice a loss in accuracy, or shoot enough to notice the loss of crispness in the action? What sort of pieces are they that you can do this and not notice?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 10-14-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Overclean....wear it out? That's sort of a silly notion don't you think?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Don't you shoot well enough to notice a loss in accuracy, or shoot enough to notice the loss of crispness in the action? What sort of pieces are they that you can do this and not notice?

It doesn't sound like you're familar with what a high quality product GunScrubber is Matt , the weapons ARE clean doing this .

Now when I shoot many 200 Gr LSWC I will hit the inside of the barrel while still wet with a brush for a few minutes .

Loss of accuracy and crispness , no why should there be ?

Despite shooting many Lead SWC's my barrels have no buildup at all in them but then when I do use a brush I always use one that is oversized for all calibers to get into the lands and groves .

As far as how well I shoot , I rarely shoot paper anymore and instead opt for 4 inch DX Iron swingers on my target stand and empty 20 oz soda bottles on a hill out to 25 yards , I don't have a problem regularly hitting them and that is good enough for me .

The guns are Charles Daly 1911's and a Taurus 40 S&W , but it takes a bit more time to clean the revolvers I own .

I did the same basic thing with a Colt 1911 I owned years ago and never saw a loss of accuracy or reliability as the gun never malfunctioned despite thousands of rounds of mixed loads factory and handloads .

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #10

I have always been hounded to get break my gun down, and clean it after every shoot, but I'm new to the game...