Can someone explain 10mm to me? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Can someone explain 10mm to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
I suppose I should ask if there's a good caliber that has small muzzle flip, good stopping power AND good capacity.
9mm and 40S&W in the right loads...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

And so it is that the old man, Me, steps in to say his 2 cents worth. I have a Stoerger Cougar 40 S&W, it has a 3.6" barrel, 11 round magazines and rotary lock up breach system. It is the most accurate semi-auto I have ever owned and due to the rotary lock up it has almost no barrel flip, it mainly pushes straight back and stays on target for follow up shots. It will penetrate through eleven layers of dry 1/2" sheet rock at about eight feet away. When you look at the gel block tests the round is no slouch. As to having a 10mm pistol, I'd own one but ammo is not readily found locally and when it is it's quite a bit more expensive then 40 S&W, kind of like 357 Sig for availability and cost.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #23

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well, I'm sure your answer is in there somewhere-
Don't think i've ever heard that many different answers to one question is such a short thread

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Well, I'm sure your answer is in there somewhere-
Don't think i've ever heard that many different answers to one question is such a short thread
I guess it was just my reply to the mention of a downgrade to 40 S&W from 10mm and someones mention of muzzle flip and Short & Weak. As far as the answer to "Can someone explain 10mm to me?", a couple of guys have pretty much given the necessary info and we can all just as well say we don't have to comment any further, but then being as the weather is crappy and I can't go outside to shoot, build anything or plant a garden then that doesn't leave a lot for me to do other than read interesting posts and give my next to worthless 2 cent comments. But hey I have an excuse, I'm just a crotchety old guy with nothing else to do and I'm used to doing something and this seemed like a pretty good place to be in the meanwhile.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I have two comparably sized handguns.
One in .45ACP, the other in 10mm.

There is a difference in felt recoil, but not that much that concerns me.

Depending on my plans, I will carry one or the other. Commercial ammo for the 10mm is a little more expensive than .45, but reloads cost about the same.

The 10mm has a flatter trajectory than the .45 and delivers more "punch" at 75 yards, and is a nice caliber to have when hog hunting.

Reloading allowed me to use it in competition and still safely make "Major" power factor. Recoil was different and I got on target faster than a .45.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 708 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 4044

Well, as for the questions regarding muzzle flip for the 10mm glocks.... get a SS guide rod and spring. They are heavier than the stock ones, and have helped reduce my muzzle flip.

When I go to the range, I take my time, and I can get really nice grouping. When I pick up the pace, and shoot as fast as I can safely, I still get all my shots center mass - which is what matters most in a SD situation, not grouping.

As far as cost goes, it will differ, depending on where you go. There are a few websites that have decent prices. If you reload, it's worth it.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The 10mm as a woods gun makes a lot of sense. Never really considered that. Now I think I need a 10mm. :-D

Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Me too as my 44 only holds 6 but if it takes all 6, it might be time to head for home.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 694 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I guess it was just my reply to the mention of a downgrade to 40 S&W from 10mm and someones mention of muzzle flip and Short & Weak. As far as the answer to "Can someone explain 10mm to me?", a couple of guys have pretty much given the necessary info and we can all just as well say we don't have to comment any further, but then being as the weather is crappy and I can't go outside to shoot, build anything or plant a garden then that doesn't leave a lot for me to do other than read interesting posts and give my next to worthless 2 cent comments. But hey I have an excuse, I'm just a crotchety old guy with nothing else to do and I'm used to doing something and this seemed like a pretty good place to be in the meanwhile.
Don't be so hard on yourself,Viking. Many times I open a thread because I see your name and I know your comment is likely to be interesting and informative. The rain will pass and it's almost time to plant the tomatoes.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I wish there were more models to choose from. Other than Glock, which makes a hunter model w 4.6 & 6" barrels for $7-8, CZ makes a sweet hunter model w 6" barrel, adj sights etc but it's $999 & up.

Dan Wesson & Colt are over $1K plus. If you don't hand load or use a variety of shells, then adj sights are a blessing. You can also adj for a 50 yd zero.

With close to 41 Mag performance and 15 rd mag cap is a whole lotta protection. But if Brn Bar is the issue, I w stick with a real 41 Mag or better 44 mag w Garret loads & best -454 C.