Can someone explain 10mm to me? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Can someone explain 10mm to me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
Well, JonM I am going to try. I've got a Lone Wolf barrel due to arrive any day now to drop into my Glock 29 SF. 4.6 " barrel. I'm figuring the longer barrel increases accuracy along with increased muzzle velocity. I know the LW is recommended for hard cast , various hand loads etc., but I do not have my own loading equipment yet. So I'm stuck, for now, with buying factory ammo. Not wanting to steal the thread could someone reply if they have a favorite brand in 10mm factory loads, is it a hot load, what kind of velocity, energy, etc?
I mean in terms of self defense accurate and fast means shooting very quickly and still hitting your target. Not in how tight a group is. Quick rapid fast multiple hits are what stops aggressors.

10mm is a very good round dont get me wrong on that

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So 10mm has too much kick for fast shooting, what's wrong with 40 S&W?

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
So 10mm has too much kick for fast shooting, what's wrong with 40 S&W?
you can shoot fast with it it just isnt as easy and takes a lot more practice. 40 has more muzzle flip than a 45acp does. thats why along with cost you dont see 10mm as common police issue. typical police officers spend very very little time practicing gun skills. fbi included.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I suppose I should ask if there's a good caliber that has small muzzle flip, good stopping power AND good capacity.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I suppose I should ask if there's a good caliber that has small muzzle flip, good stopping power AND good capacity.
This is where I can jump back in. Personal observation - I bought my Glock 29 SF after seeing Hickock45 shooting the Glock 20 - noticed relatively little muzzle flip. Reckon its because the way the gun is built. Also, the LW barrel I'm getting is ported. With this set up I should be able to get back on target rather quickly. 29's can use the 20 magazine - holds 15 rounds of 10mm.

Also, somoeone asked what does range ammo cost? Well, NRA Range in Fairfax sells 50 rounds A&E FMJ for about 30.00 give or take a couple dollars, I think. And most places I've checked, that's the going rate, so we're talkin about 60 cents per round. And I know I could invest in reloading equipment and recover the inital investment after 1,000 rounds, but I do not have the room in my townhouse to set it up.

So, I'm looking at Cor Bon, Underwood, Double Tap and wondering if anyone has experience with these brands? I'd like to hit a pie plate rapid fire at 21 feet and would like to hit a silohuette target at 40 feet - at least get all the shots on the paper. I know it takes practice- especially for a Glock - I'm reading everywhere you have to practice with this gun...

Last edited by NOVA; 03-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Except capacity. 13 rounds are always better than eight.
My XD45 holds 13+1, and there is a mag extension available for an extra round or two (haven't tried it). It kicks, but more straight back than up. I wouldn't want to carry it inside the waistband, but i am not skinny anymore.

I want a 10mm, preferably one of the Colt Delta Elites, but more for fun and hunting backup than SD.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-30-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Please research the 10mm threads as I remember a member giving out an on line source for cheaper 10mm rounds and I believe it was an Elk aftermarket recoil spring that reduced felt recoil.

10 mm is a monster and best suited to hunting. Glock sells a 4.6" model that you can stick a 6" barrel into but it just hangs out the front and does not increase the sight radius. EAA has an impressive 6" model but it's $999 plus but still less than a Colt or Dan Wesson. Sig does not make a 10 mm, not sure why and speculation only brings the nutz out of the woodwork.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

This covers the origins pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_mm_auto

I've been thinking of ordering the conversion kit for my Witness.
You don't have to reload to enjoy the 10 mm, but it certainly helps.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Can someone explain 10mm to me?
Cal: .40
Bullet Weight: 150-220gr
Velocity: 1100-1600 fps

Does that explain it?

Of course that's provided you load or buy your ammo accordingly (many vanilla 10mm loads are little more than overpriced 40sw). I'm not really a Glock guy myself. But this is why I think a G20 is a pretty damn great option for a woods pistol.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #20

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

There are many stories about the 10mm. The Secret service was looking for a round that would be not a compramize, but far superior to the 9x19 and .45acp.
Testing on the round/pistols started in 1979. The Bren Ten was the 1st. The U.S. decided it would be what they wanted in 1981. In 1982 testing started. In 1984 a suitable platform was found, but in testing it was found that a full power cartridge over penetrated and was hard for most agents to handle. If you line up 3 people, it will go through all 3. No good in hostage situations. I can say out of a 1911 Gov't it will shatter cinder blocks.
The 10mm is not hard to shoot, not bad at all w/ follow up shots. You can load down for cast lead, or come close to .41 mag on the upside. This was the test bed for the Secret service. Auto ordnance 1911a1. It is very heavy!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.