Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Can someone explain 10mm to me? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/can-someone-explain-10mm-me-61443/)

Kenney 03-30-2012 11:43 AM

Can someone explain 10mm to me?

I honestly have no idea about this round. I heard it is in one way or another related to 45acp, but that's it.

Yunus 03-30-2012 12:01 PM

About 25 years ago some people decided the .45 was to heavy and lacked range but the 9mm was to light and lacked power. So they made the 10mm in an attempt to make a compromise on the .45 and the 9mm retaining the advantages of both rounds. I'm not sure if the 10mm was then modified to become the .40S&W or if that was another project all together. In the end the FBI chose the .40S&W for their guns and in my non expert opinion that is why it became the more popular round.

7mmstw 03-30-2012 12:05 PM

The 10mm is a very nice pistol round. When loaded right it reaches 41 rem mag velocities and power. But you get 13-14 rounds in the magazine. It was dumbed down because some pistols were not taking the stress of such a potent round and that kind of made it loose the steam the cartridge had. There are some devout 10mm owners out there. I'd like a Perfect 10 but I don't want to spend that much so a Glock 20 works just fine.

don't live vicariously

robocop10mm 03-30-2012 12:14 PM

After the infamous Miami shootout, the FBI decided they needed something more powerful than 9mm. They did some testing and found a magical combination of penetration and expansion that made stopping an adversary much more likely. The .45 ACP with a 185 gr bullet at just shy of 1000fps semed to fill the bill. The 10 mm with a 180 gr bullet at a little over 1000 fps matched that with a bit more capacity. The full power ammo then available was too powerful for many of the agents to handle so they loaded it down to the "subsonic" category.

S&W and Winchester teamed up and came up with a shrter cased version of the 10mm loaded subsonic with a 180 gr bullet. Ths new round could fit in 9mm size handguns and give good capacity. This new round was dubbed the .40S&W.

To compare the 10mm to the .40 S&W is like comparing the .357 Mag to the .38 special as far as power goes.

Kenney 03-30-2012 12:15 PM

Thanks for that. Dumb question #2, do they make a sig p226 in it? Sounds like a very good round.

JonM 03-30-2012 12:17 PM

The 40 short and weak was created as a dumbed down 10mm because the fbi found that it wasnt easy to get quick follow ups and some people were having trouble with recoil of the 10mm. (Robocop beat me to it with a better explanation)

So they basically ended up where they started with a round at slightly above 9mm but weaker than 45acp with more muzzle climb than both.

45acp has more felt recoil but its more manageable. 9mm has less muzzle climb the 40 ends up being a compromise that is kinda pointless.

10mm is somewhere between 45acp and 357mag its a very very good cartridge for barrier penetration and manstopping but your not going to shoot it accurate and fast.

45acp is still the best combination of power speed and accuracy of handgun cartridges. JMB knew what he was doing when he made it. It just falls in thatsweet spot where all the factors meld together for an effective defense cartridge. Others may do one thing better or maybe two but only the 45acp does it all well

Kenney 03-30-2012 12:22 PM

Except capacity. 13 rounds are always better than eight.

Yunus 03-30-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney (Post 756545)
Thanks for that. Dumb question #2, do they make a sig p226 in it? Sounds like a very good round.

10mm is very expensive compared to 9mm, 40 or 45. I have no idea if that factors in to your purchase but it's something to consider.

NOVA 03-30-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 756547)
10mm is somewhere between 45acp and 357mag its a very very good cartridge for barrier penetration and manstopping but your not going to shoot it accurate and fast. ...

Well, JonM I am going to try. I've got a Lone Wolf barrel due to arrive any day now to drop into my Glock 29 SF. 4.6 " barrel. I'm figuring the longer barrel increases accuracy along with increased muzzle velocity. I know the LW is recommended for hard cast , various hand loads etc., but I do not have my own loading equipment yet. So I'm stuck, for now, with buying factory ammo. Not wanting to steal the thread could someone reply if they have a favorite brand in 10mm factory loads, is it a hot load, what kind of velocity, energy, etc?

Kenney 03-30-2012 12:43 PM

What does range ammo cost per round?