Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Can i convert my Beretta 96 to 9mm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/can-i-convert-my-beretta-96-9mm-55738/)

sputnik1988 01-18-2012 01:33 PM

Can i convert my Beretta 96 to 9mm?
 
Ive read all over the internet that you can drop a 92 barrel in and go, I've also read that its not possible, so if someone that has both standard type models could check and relay the info, that would be awesome. Thanks ahead of time.

JTJ 01-18-2012 01:42 PM

I doubt if the .40 mags would work. I wonder if it could be converted to 357 sig which would use the .40 mags.

sputnik1988 01-18-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 680633)
I doubt if the .40 mags would work. I wonder if it could be converted to 357 sig which would use the .40 mags.

That's one reason I want to swap it, .40 mags are like $30-$40. Surplus 9mm mags are dirt cheap, on top of that, I'm always for any multi-caliber firearm, especially since I could change the barrel out in about 10 seconds.

007BondJamesBond007 01-18-2012 01:53 PM

I think you will need to swap the slide also.

sputnik1988 01-18-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 (Post 680641)
I think you will need to swap the slide also.

I'm afraid of that, I really hope not, but its likely I would say.

mondo223 03-18-2012 08:50 PM

I don't know why everyone is so confused on this subject. The 9mm barrel has the same dimensions on the outside as the .40 barrel. The .40 cal magazines are same dimensionally as well, and I feed 9mm through .40 magazines and no malfunctions so far. So just drop in your 9mm barrel into your beretta 96 and either use your 40 magazines or use a 9mm magazine if you want. I even called beretta and they told me this was okay. I've had zero malfunctions in this set up. The only thing to note is that because the extractor is different, the brass initially flung right into my forehead. So I had my gunsmith tweek it so it flies off to the side.

Chainfire 03-18-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondo223 (Post 744307)
I don't know why everyone is so confused on this subject. The 9mm barrel has the same dimensions on the outside as the .40 barrel. The .40 cal magazines are same dimensionally as well, and I feed 9mm through .40 magazines and no malfunctions so far. So just drop in your 9mm barrel into your beretta 96 and either use your 40 magazines or use a 9mm magazine if you want. I even called beretta and they told me this was okay. I've had zero malfunctions in this set up. The only thing to note is that because the extractor is different, the brass initially flung right into my forehead. So I had my gunsmith tweek it so it flies off to the side.


If that is indeed the case, can I go in the other direction and drop a .40 barrel in my 92SF and shoot?

mondo223 03-19-2012 06:13 AM

Probably not, because the 9mm fits in the larger bolt face that is meant for the 40. But the 9mm bolt face may not be large enough for the .40. Other than that, I don't know if 9mm slides are built....weaker.

Axxe55 03-19-2012 08:28 AM

i believe the slide would also have to be changed as the headcase diameter is different from a 9mm to a 40 caliber. extractor and firing pin are not going to be in the same place. also external dimensions of the magazines are probably the same, but the feed lips of the magazine are probably different also. probably if you have to buy a slide, barrel and magazines, for the amount of money spent, you could probably buy another complete pistol for not much more.

clr8ter 03-20-2012 12:08 AM

Go over to the Beretta forum, there has been extensive discussion about this there. It seems to me that any one of these combinations MIGHT work, it depends on your gun. Go to BeretttaUSA.com, and you'll see that they sell one mag, listed for the 92 AND 96. HOWEVER, I switched a 92 mag over to a 96 mag, for my CX4, and the only thing that made it work was using the 40 cal follower, and opening up the feed lips about .020". Not hard to do. On the Beretta forum, you can buy complete slides for 1/2 the cost of the whole gun, and the complete slide WILL fit on either frame. Seems to be the easiest way to do it, realistically....and with 9mm 1/2 the cost of the 40, not too long to pay it back, either.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.