Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Can anyone tell me about the Browning FN?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6741 Times on 4072 Posts
Likes Given: 8037

Default Can anyone tell me about the Browning FN?

My Dad has one of these and it will eventually be mine. I know it's an old gun. I believe it shoots .32 caliber. Can anyone tell me more about this gun?

Google Image Result for http://www.olarmyjoel.com/images/browning1922/Browning%201911%20380FN........JPG

Also, because it is an old gun and was my Grampa's gun before it was my Dad's gun, it's never been registered. It was bought and handed down before it was required to register guns. How would I go about registering this gun under my name when it becomes mine? By the way, my Dad is 81 years old. I believe this gun is more than 50 years old.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-07-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Not a lawyer, so legal advice from me is worth exactly what you are paying me- but IIRC, Illinois does not have registration of handguns. YOU must have a Firearm Owner's ID Card. Chicago is another matter. Se link: What are the Gun Laws in Illinois?

You already have some good info on the site that the photo was from. Brownings (with the POSSIBLE exceptiion of stuff made under Nazi occupation) have always had great guns. I love mine. FN is shorthand for Fabrique Nationale (National Factory) in Belgium. Your pistol was made in both .32 ACP and .380, but would be marked with the metric equivalent (7.65 or 9mm Kurz)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You have already found a good link to the pistol in question. The rest I would get from your Dad, the history of the pistol in your family will be worth more than the pistol it self.

Can't help with the legal part, like many here of FTF I flunked the bar exam.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Memories fade over time. Write down the background that you know to date. Your kids might appreciate it later.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
You have already found a good link to the pistol in question. The rest I would get from your Dad, the history of the pistol in your family will be worth more than the pistol it self.

Can't help with the legal part, like many here of FTF I flunked the bar exam.

Thanks, everyone. My Dad just tells me it was his Dad's before him. I'll have to see if he knows any more detail than that. He's 81 years old and had a stroke about 5-6 years ago so he certainly isn't as sharp as he used to be but he seems to be affected more physically than mentally from his stroke. I'll pursue it further with my Dad.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not a lawyer, so legal advice from me is worth exactly what you are paying me- but IIRC, Illinois does not have registration of handguns. YOU must have a Firearm Owner's ID Card. Chicago is another matter. Se link: What are the Gun Laws in Illinois?

You already have some good info on the site that the photo was from. Brownings (with the POSSIBLE exceptiion of stuff made under Nazi occupation) have always had great guns. I love mine. FN is shorthand for Fabrique Nationale (National Factory) in Belgium. Your pistol was made in both .32 ACP and .380, but would be marked with the metric equivalent (7.65 or 9mm Kurz)

I don't live in Chicago and I do have a FOID card. I only own one gun that I bought about 3 weeks ago. I thought each gun had to be registered to the owner under the FOID card number but I don't really know. I just know when I bought my gun they filled out paperwork and I thought it was linking that gun directly to me as the owner. I'm sure I can get more information by looking around on the Illinois DOJ website.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 197

If the picture is the actual gun, then it is a .380. The magazine (if correct for the gun) is stamped 9mm. That would be 9mm Browning AKA .380 ACP, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, 9mm Corto.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

That is not a picture of the actual gun but that is definitely the gun my Dad has. Thanks for the info.