Buying this weekend - last minute opinions XD45 or G21 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Buying this weekend - last minute opinions XD45 or G21

View Poll Results: Which gun would you choose?
The XD or XDm 9 52.94%
The Glock 21 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Yo South Philly...how yous doin?

I prefer the Springer 1911 myself...which model GI, Mil-Spec or Loaded? Where are you looking, Firing Line? Since you are in PA check out Miller's in Chichester or Targetmaster in Chadds Ford...might have a better selection and better pricing than in the city.

P.S. If you decide on the XD check out the XD 45 Compact as well. It's a bit different than the standard 4" XD It comes with both a 10 and 13 rnd mag and a shorter grip that makes it easy to conceal. Add a couple of backup mags to your belt and you get up to 37 rounds of .45 ACP power, if needed.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Yo South Philly...how yous doin?

I prefer the Springer 1911 myself...which model GI, Mil-Spec or Loaded? Where are you looking, Firing Line? Since you are in PA check out Miller's in Chichester or Targetmaster in Chadds Ford...might have a better selection and better pricing than in the city.

P.S. If you decide on the XD check out the XD 45 Compact as well. It's a bit different than the standard 4" XD It comes with both a 10 and 13 rnd mag and a shorter grip that makes it easy to conceal. Add a couple of backup mags to your belt and you get up to 37 rounds of .45 ACP power, if needed.
Oh man...Sewell!? A township guy!

Haha I was gonna look at Hague's in Deptford, Philly Archery and Gun Club on 8th and Ellsworth near Genos too

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
Oh man...Sewell!? A township guy!

Haha I was gonna look at Hague's in Deptford, Philly Archery and Gun Club on 8th and Ellsworth near Genos too
South Philly born and raised... Hague's is ok (I've bought a few guns there and shoot their range) but the transfer fees back to PA would cost you and their prices are a bit high. If you are looking out of state, x-ring in Newark, DE has a lot to choose from...last time I was there I felt like a kid in a candy store...it's what a gun shop should be, not the sorry azz things we have in jersey.

You should have been around a month ago when the great Philly cheesesteak debate was going on.

Good luck in making a choice...lot of good folks on here, lot's of knowledge but we could use a bit more Philly addatude...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-17-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not really understanding the reason of this thread

You'll get your XD fans say "XD all the way!"

and You'll get your Glock fans say "Glock for sure!"

I would get neither, have you checked out the M&P 45? Much better trigger and Ergonomics. The only downside is the 10 round magazine cap.

Also check out the FNP 45.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #15

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I'm not really understanding the reason of this thread

You'll get your XD fans say "XD all the way!"

and You'll get your Glock fans say "Glock for sure!"

I would get neither, have you checked out the M&P 45? Much better trigger and Ergonomics. The only downside is the 10 round magazine cap.

Also check out the FNP 45.
"I tried finding things I don't like, but I love both. I like the extra features and safety on the XD, but I really like the aggressive grip of the Glock also. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated." quote from the OP

THAT'S the reason for his thread! There have been objective opinions from responders; that's what he was asking for.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:53 AM   #16

Do you guys think the size difference in the XD .45 4" full size is noticeably different then the XD .45 4" compact, when concealed carry IWB? Or would be be nearly the same and be better off buying the full?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #17

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Again, a matter of personal preference. Suggest you try on both if you can. Your body type and build might determine what is best for you.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

XD for me, but you must satisfy your requirements. There is nothing worse than buying something you're not happy with just because a collection of stiffs recommended it.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Do you guys think the size difference in the XD .45 4" full size is noticeably different then the XD .45 4" compact, when concealed carry IWB? Or would be be nearly the same and be better off buying the full?
If you decide to go with the XD, I would go with the Compact. I have one and it's kind of the best of both worlds. You have the extended mag for range/HD duty, but then you've got the shortened grip for carry.

I carry mine in a Crossbreed btw. Excellent holster for the larger framed guns.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #20

Quote:
The actual difference is about .7" (The length of the mag extension shown below) doesn't seem like much but the grip is typically what causes printing with IWB carry. As other have stated it's a personal choice issue and depends on your build, among other things. The 2 models are functionally identical and the compact is dimensioned the same as the standard framed model when using the extended 13 round magazine.

The gun above in the foreground is the XD-45 Compact loaded with the 13-round magazine with grip extension. In the background is the standard full-size XD-45. Photo by Nyle Leatham

Springfield Armory XD-45 Compact

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-18-2010 at 03:30 AM.