Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Buying this weekend - last minute opinions XD45 or G21 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/buying-weekend-last-minute-opinions-xd45-g21-34486/)

SouthPhilly 11-17-2010 12:01 PM

Buying this weekend - last minute opinions XD45 or G21
 
Hey guys, for the past few weeks I've been trying out various handguns, out of everything, the .45 acp was my favorite caliber by far.

Of the 1911's, I narrowed it down to the sig and Springfield
Of the doublestacks, the XD45 4" and the Glock 21 were my two favorites.

I decided I like the doublestacks more, they felt much more comfortable, as I have big hands and I felt more secure with the extra grip surface area.

I plan to conceal carry with IWB holsters. I know many will say it's a challenge to conceal these size guns, but I've tried both using the crossbreed supertuck and the desantis prostealth and I found them to be very comfortable. My range let me wear each, one while using the other on the range. I've sat, bent, repeatedly walked up and downstairs, etc and neither felt uncomfortable or bulky.

I'm stuck between the XD .45 4", the Glock 21, or the XDm .45 if the price difference is worth it from the XD 4".

I tried finding things I don't like, but I love both. I like the extra features and safety on the XD, but I really like the aggressive grip of the Glock also. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

JonM 11-17-2010 12:25 PM

ive tried em and personally didnt care for them myself my pref is for the 1911. but if i had tochoose i think the springfield XD(m) series have a better feel and the sights were more intuitive as well as the quality of the springfields seem higher to me. so my pref if i had to pick would be the springfield.

lonyaeger 11-17-2010 12:26 PM

I would go with whichever one points and feels best for you. Sounds like you prefer the Glock in that case.

SouthPhilly 11-17-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 388044)
I would go with whichever one points and feels best for you. Sounds like you prefer the Glock in that case.

I really liked the feel of both, not one more other than to say "this is the winner"

I liked the trigger pull on the XD more however I've been told that making the glocks trigger pull smoother is very easy to do?

spittinfire 11-17-2010 12:36 PM

I know I would pick the XD, hands down but what fits me may not fit you. I will say the XD will point a lot like the 1911 where as the glock won't.

lonyaeger 11-17-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPhilly (Post 388048)
I really liked the feel of both, not one more other than to say "this is the winner"

I liked the trigger pull on the XD more however I've been told that making the glocks trigger pull smoother is very easy to do?

Hm, I thought you said you preferred the Glock's aggressive grip.

All things being the same, if you DON'T prefer the point and grip of the Glock, I would pick the XD, and I've owned or presently own both. As others have said, the XD just sets up better. The additional safety feature(s) is not a big deal to me.

SouthPhilly 11-17-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 388050)
Hm, I thought you said you preferred the Glock's aggressive grip.

All things being the same, if you DON'T prefer the point and grip of the Glock, I would pick the XD, and I've owned or presently own both. As others have said, the XD just sets up better. The additional safety feature(s) is not a big deal to me.

Oh yeah I do like the grip more, but I was saying it's not like I don't like the XD grip, I just liked the glocks grip more.

When pointing and firing, the XD feels 'thinner' like I'm pointing with a pinpoint, but with the Glock I feel like I'm pointing with a much larger gun even though it's not.

I think I may go with the XD for my .45 acp choice and then go with the glock 23 down the road, as it's a compact but not too small and a simple barrel swap allows for 9mm or .40. As for now and money available I want the .45 as a first choice.

How about the XD 4" vs XDm? Is there anything I will notice when concealing between those 2? I know the overall length is 0.7 longer on the xdm

orangello 11-17-2010 01:08 PM

I have been very happy with my XD45 (geezer 5" barrel), but i don't carry. The grip feels good to me, and the XD seems to balance well in my mitt.

The only thing i don't like about .45ACP is the cost of target practice.

Pick whichever is more comfortable; i doubt anyone here considers either to be unreliable.

lonyaeger 11-17-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPhilly (Post 388052)

How about the XD 4" vs XDm? Is there anything I will notice when concealing between those 2? I know the overall length is 0.7 longer on the xdm

I think that is such a personal preference decision that only you can make it through handling them both. But for your purposes, I'm not sure if the (m) version would be of that much benefit to you.

sweeper22 11-17-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPhilly (Post 388037)
I'm stuck between the XD .45 4", the Glock 21, or the XDm .45 if the price difference is worth it from the XD 4".

I have both the 4" XD45 compact and the XDm45. While I like my $700 XDm, I find my $450 XD to be more useful and no less accurate. If I ever end up unloading one of them, it'll be the XDm that goes first.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.