Buying a new. 45 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Buying a new. 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
See if you can find an Ed Brown Kobra Carry.
Great gun...if you're in a position to drop $2500 on one pistol.

Love those things though. The EB Kobra Carry and DW Pointman 7 initiated my "gun lust" when I first began researching pistols.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

The lovely Mrs DanF found one in the newspaper used.
We got it for $1800. Included the Ed Brown range bag, 4 mags, shoulder holster rig, IWB, and mag carrier.

Who sez it has to be new?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know everyone else likes the M&P, Sig, and XD, but I love my Ruger P345, its accurate, light wieght and I promise you the trigger is way better than the M&P, XD, or CZ, the only problem I've had with it is the mag safety, and its so easy to remove its like Ruger meant for it to be removed, and its fed everything I've ran through it

Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #14

I know the 1911 is a very popular gun, I have one myself. But im looking for a dual role .45. I want to be able to where it consealed as well. How is the handling on the sig P220? M&P? Are the easily able to handle follow up shots or is the recoil too great for rapid deployment?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you considered a Commander sized 1911, maybe something like a Kimber Pro Carry II? You might want to look at the FNP45, Sig Saurer, Springfield Champion GI 1911a1, and Springfield XDm's.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #16

Doesn't Sig have a 1911 model?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Great gun...if you're in a position to drop $2500 on one pistol.

Love those things though. The EB Kobra Carry and DW Pointman 7 initiated my "gun lust" when I first began researching pistols.
I just bought my second Ed Brown Special Forces 1911 last week. The first one was just the standard black with rosewood and I got it for $2020 on GA + $15 for shipping and my ffl's fee. Awesome pistol, I carry it daily, and I sold a nice Kimber to get it. More accurate than any other pistol I own save for my Python which is an entirely different story. I have several Glocks which I also like but the Ed Brown gets worn unless I'm going to the beach or on my Goldwing (G36).

Sure I end up wearing a T-shirt and overshirt but who ever said I was stylish in the first place? My wife would rather I look like a dweeb and carry a full size 1911 than look stylish with a 380 or 9mm on me. That 5" handles SXT 230+P all day long and I doubt there is much that would stand up to a couple of those, much less three mag's full. And as far as weight, you do get used to having that on you if you carry daily. I once almost had to draw down on a drunk and was carrying a 9mm at the time. Since then, I only carry a 45, 357SIG, or 357mag. I never felt more insecure than thinking I was about to have to fight for my wifes and my life with a 9mm.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo84 View Post
I know the 1911 is a very popular gun, I have one myself. But im looking for a dual role .45. I want to be able to where it consealed as well. How is the handling on the sig P220? M&P? Are the easily able to handle follow up shots or is the recoil too great for rapid deployment?
Not sure about the Sig but I have the M&P and it's very manageable. Follow ups aren't troublesome depending on how fast you're trying to get them out.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 2005

Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #19

Im certainly considering the M&P, especially for the price versus the Sig, but I havnt handled one yet. The closest rental place is an hour away.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #20

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

Sig most definitely makes several 1911's. I am a Sig fan (P245 P226 P239) so I am obviously pro-Sig, but only because they have all been high quality dependable firearms. Yes, they are expensive, but you can't put a $ value on yourself or family....JMHO.

Ruger also has a new 1911 that I have heard great things about from a friend that I shot with for over 20 years. If he says its good, I can take it to the bank.

Happy searching. Go to a range a shoot several and see what you like.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.