Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Buying my first pistol, HK P30 or HK45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck204 View Post
Well, I'm ready to buy my first pistol for self/home defense. I have a rifle and a shotgun, shot several different pistols before and I'm pretty comfortable with both 9mm and .45.

The two pistols I'm considering right now are HK P30 and HK45. The P30 is 9mm with 15rd, and HK45 is .45 with 10rd.
If you can find one, then this is was my choice. (USP Elite in .45)
Don't worry about recoil, they have a recoil attenuation device built in, (it feels more like a shove than a sharp kick).
Higher capacity mags are available.
They can also operate DA/SA like a Sig or single action, like a 1911 type.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the 9mm P30v3 and enjoy it. It is fairly accurate, but the trigger feels a little "squishy". The recoil and follow up shots are very good. Given the choice again, I probably would still buy one, but get the P30L long slide version. But my need is not a carry weapon, it is just a range gun for me.

My purchase was based on a few outstanding reviews, by qualified individuals. Currently I would say that the gun has better accuracy then I am capable of making use of.

Of my friends that have shot it, the one thing that everyone says is how well it fits their hand. Finding a pistol with the perfect grip is a win in itself.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
any reason why you want the polymer HK pistols?

If I had to buy an HK, I would go with the USP9 or USP45 (Tactical versions if available)

It's a little more pricey than their polymer pistols, but I haven't heard any real good things about the HK45 and P30.

and anyway, if do decide to go Polymer, there's only one handgun you should be buying, I won't say it because I don't wanna start a thread war. but let's just say it rhymes with something you put on your feet.
Just to note that the USP's are also polymer. In fact, virtually all of HK's current pistol line ups are polymer since HK's main target market is military and LE; not a lot of 'em carry heavy steel sidearms anymore.

The HK45, as someone else mentioned, is pretty much a "next gen" USP and the intention was to submit it for the US Military's Joint Combat Pistol program for appraisal and testing towards the next approved standard issue sidearm. Unfortunately the US military scrapped the program before evaluation could begin.

The P30 and its variants are aimed at the police market, hence the "P" designation, but for all intents and purposes it too is based on the USP platform. It was supposed to be an upgrade to the P2000 (which also is engineered around the USP platform) and was originally be to called the P3000.

However, the P30/L/LS do not use the HK recoil reduction spring system like full-sized USP's. Instead, it uses a synthetic (i.e. nylon) recoil buffer.

If you've never held one you have to...wow! The best description I have heard is that it just melts into your hand and, yeah, I gotta agree!

The advantage of going HK45, or P30/L/LS over the USP is that they have the new features of modular grips. In addition, the OP may want to mount a tactical flashlight and the newer HK's use standard picatinny rails whereas the USP's still use HK's proprietary rail system from the early 90's so you either have to use expensive LAM's and lights designed for the USP or buy a picatinny rail adaptor --Why don't they offer USP's with a picatinny rail as standard instead now that we're in the 21st century? Who knows?

To answer the OP's question, the caliber is personal preference. I highly doubt 9mm is a wimpy round for defence as some have made it out to be. I certainly wouldn't want to stand down range with an apple on my head and let anyone shoot at me with a 9mm! Would you?

Not to mention if you're in a civilian self-defence scenario you'll probably going to be shooting at less than 20 feet or less and you better be damn sure what/who you're about to take down.

If you're concerned about 9mm stopping power you can, as others have suggested, load it ready with +P JHP's (if legal in your locality), instead of FMJ's. Not to mention JHP's might better avoid dangerous ricochets and strays from hitting innocent bystanders while you defend yourself, loved ones, or your property from a criminal.

Also as many others have pointed you're more prone to practice shooting more the less it costs you and 9mm is A LOT cheaper to shoot with than 45 ACP.

However, if you want the best of both worlds (larger caliber and increased capacity) then consider the P30/L/LS in .40 S&W.

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-07-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: correction for typos