Buying my first pistol, HK P30 or HK45?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Buying my first pistol, HK P30 or HK45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying my first pistol, HK P30 or HK45?

Well, I'm ready to buy my first pistol for self/home defense. I have a rifle and a shotgun, shot several different pistols before and I'm pretty comfortable with both 9mm and .45.

The two pistols I'm considering right now are HK P30 and HK45. The P30 is 9mm with 15rd, and HK45 is .45 with 10rd.

I don't have tons of experiences with pistols(will be doing a lot of practice after I get the gun) and I don't expect myself to be very accurate in a situation where I have to protect myself or someone else with the pistol.

I do think the .45 is more powerful than 9mm but can't ignore the fact that I will get 5 more rds with the 9mm.

Do you guys think I should go with less powerful and more quantity or more powerful less quantity? (And ammo price is not a deciding factor here)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #2

Default HK 9mm vs 45acp

This is a very personal decision. Statistically in the USA, it's about a 50-50 split (much more toward 9mm in Europe). If you can try both pistols, I would take the one that you shoot better under rapid fire -- you may for example find the 45's grip is really too large to keep control based on your hand size, or find that the 9mm is too light and has too much muzzle flip to come back on target for follow-up shots. Run this test with what you are going to shoot in terms of energy/recoil -- most people load their 9mm SD guns with 9mm+P ammo. Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 9mm. Especially in the H&K platform.
9mm ammo is much cheaper than .45,even +P. Which, means more time at the range. And,when it comes right down to it,some dirt bag won't care one bit whether its a 9 or a .45 that just put two in the chest and one in the head. Shot placement is everything.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

any reason why you want the polymer HK pistols?

If I had to buy an HK, I would go with the USP9 or USP45 (Tactical versions if available)

It's a little more pricey than their polymer pistols, but I haven't heard any real good things about the HK45 and P30.

and anyway, if do decide to go Polymer, there's only one handgun you should be buying, I won't say it because I don't wanna start a thread war. but let's just say it rhymes with something you put on your feet.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are choosing handguns for personal/home defense look at every quality gun made, Sig, HK, Glock, Para Ord, Taurus, ect...

Guns fit people differently. I have shot and carried guns of different companies and calibers over the years. I have a Para Ordnance P14-45 LDA beside my bed for night time duty at home, and a Kahr CW9 for off duty, at home carry. I like the Kahr CW9 better because I can stack rounds easier with it because of lack of recoil. The Para is really just for me when i go checking strange noises. I can tear you apart with it but still love my 9mm.
Don't settle for a gun because of name or what a friend says. You are gonna have to go and really give every gun a fair shake. if you have already played with the HK then do a sie-by-side compare with it and other pistols.
Anyway, goodluck in your search! I hope you get a tack-driver.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

If I had to buy an HK, I would go with the USP9 or USP45 (Tactical versions if available)

It's a little more pricey than their polymer pistols, but I haven't heard any real good things about the HK45 and P30.

and anyway, if do decide to go Polymer, there's only one handgun you should be buying, I won't say it because I don't wanna start a thread war. but let's just say it rhymes with something you put on your feet.
The HK45 is the USP45 with some additional features, such as a larger magazine release and different grip sizes--it is the top of the line in HK. However, if you like the USP grip, you can get basically the same pistol in the USP 45 and it holds 2 more rounds (12) of .45 ACP in the magazine. The P30 is the latest and greatest 9mm from HK--better ergonimics in the grip. I'd love to have one and it's on my wish list. You can not go wrong with any of these choices!! My choice with be either the USP45 or HK45 if size doesn't matter, or the P30 if you like something smaller to handle/carry. Good luck.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My personal preference would be the 45, but like i say that is a personal preference. Shoot the one you are the most comfortable with and can get the best results with. As for the amount of rounds, most combat situations unless you are facing 2 or more shooters will be decided within 2 to 4 shots so what real difference if your magazine holds 8 rounds for 20?

You always here shot placement is critical, well, that is true. And the smaller the round, the more critical it is. A 45 in the shoulder will do a heck of a lot more damage than a 9 mm in the same place, but a 22 in the eye will do even more damage....

Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

I personally believe that you cannot go wrong with either choice. I lean towards the 9mm because of the cheaper ammo and softer recoil. If you want really good information on either gun go to pistaltraining.com. Todd G. tested the P30 last year (extreme test) and is doing the HK45 this year. It is a very interesting read. The HK P30 had over 90,000 rounds through it and was only cleaned ~12-13x. The HK45 has over 40,000 rounds down range in a short period of time. Both guns he tested are LEM V4 (converted from V2).

Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Get the best of both worlds,15 rounds of 45 in a FNP45 tactical with Doctor red dot sights,ideal home defense piece,and with threaded barrel,a silencer ,you won't even wake the neighbors!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have thought a while further. Go all out and get a Barrett M82A1.