Buying my first pistol - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Buying my first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

lol @ mrwray....thats a great way to put it. I thought it was the over penetration of the round...but if they are a bunch of vag's then that would make sense.

Anyway, it all comes down to personal preferance. I am by no means an expert, i just know what i like. And i TRAIN with my weapons as often as i can, in an urban environment. Its an expensive hobby if you get that far in to it....but big boy toys aften are...lol

Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #22

Liked 354 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Based on the criteria, buy something in a medium to full frame, and 9mm or larger.

380 is a carry caliber. 9mm (or even 40sw) will be cheaper at the range and more suitable for home defense. 45acp won't be so different in pricing vs 380. For most people the usefulness of 380acp begins and ends with micro carry guns. Buy something that's more powerful, more affordable, and often easier to be accurate with. It might be worth exploring a 357mag revolver as well.

For $500 or so I think the best non-poly HD pistol out there is the CZ 75b, and their variations of that model.

Also worth looking at are alloy Sigs (P220, P226, P228/229, and P239). These will generally run $500-650 used, $700+ new. I've found that "like new" used Sigs are easy enough to track down at reasonable prices.

A CZ 75 compact/pcr, Sig P228/229, or Sig P239 would all be good range/HD pistols as well decent future carry guns. But note that the P239 does have a limited capacity.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all very much for your input and suggestions. I do greatly appreciate it. You all have given me a few more ideas about what to get. (Besides those who mentioned glocks just not for me) I will definitely be going with a larger caliber, atleast a .357. Hopefully, I will never have to use it on an individual but if I do, it would be good to know I won't have to dump a whole clip to get the job done. I know shot placement is a huge factor too but how many rappers have you heard being shot nine times with a .357-.45 and living to tell the story? 9mm, no thank you. Unfortunately there are no local ranges in Northeast Texas that rent out or let you try firearms because so many individuals own land where they can shoot and their wasn't a demand for it, so I am kind of fishing in the dark. I will be purchasing in a little over a week if I can make a decision and will check back to see if anyone adds anything. Also will let you know what I get and how it turns out. Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #24

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

45gun.jpg

Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #25

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Great info and interesting in reading everyone's opinions. Waiting in my Ccw license and starting to look at ways to conceal and holsters. I'm not looking for a bargin either I'll pay for quality and comfort. My G27 will not be my last gun, knowing myself I'll get emerged in this and figure out what works for me by buying a few different guns and living with them for awhile.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lots of opinions here...guess I'll throw mine in too. If you don't want a polymer frame gun like a Glock, I would recommend an alloy Sig like the P220, 226, or 229. They are built like tanks. Since you can't shoot various guns at a rental range, you're pretty much going to have to go with how it feels in your hands, so be sure you check out as many as you can. Do you have any friends who can help you out by letting you shoot their guns?

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #27

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
Great info and interesting in reading everyone's opinions. Waiting in my Ccw license and starting to look at ways to conceal and holsters. I'm not looking for a bargin either I'll pay for quality and comfort. My G27 will not be my last gun, knowing myself I'll get emerged in this and figure out what works for me by buying a few different guns and living with them for awhile.
There's no truer statement. Every few months I am trading/selling/buying guns that I discovered didn't quite do what I needed them to do, or didn't fit my needs quite as well as I thought they would.

It is hard to beat just buying something that sort of fits and then see what happens. It ain't gotta be perfect the first time out. Just buy something that catches your eye in the shop and fits your hand well.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #28

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have spent decades with a CCW - - - my first adventure was long ago and the choices were limited if you wanted quality. My first CCW was a blue S&W 357 model 19-4 with a 2.5" barrel - - - at the time much smaller than my S&W 357 model 66-1 SS with a 4" bull barrel.

Then I decided I needed it in SS so I got a S&W 357 model 66-1 with a 2.5" barrel but still heavy and difficult to conceal. Then I went with a S&W 38 model 60 SS with a 1 5/8" barrel. Smaller and easier to conceal 5 round cylinder plus 2 speed loads. I carried this for over 30 years and it is still a reliable firearm.

In my quest for comfort I moved to a S&W Bodyguard 380 - - - smaller and lighter, laser, 6+1 capacity.

I am very active - - - in and out of heavy equipment, dump trucks, semis, tractors all day. Under the hoods of same checking oil and water, crawling under to grease, feeding cattle, working with high energy dogs ( German Shepherds )

I have to have something I can put on like a pair of socks and not be bothered with till I undress for bed. I feel I have found it in this - - - If I was to carry something bigger I feel many times I would decide to just leave it home. I do not intend to use one of my fire extinguishers at any given time but I keep them at the ready 24 / 7 I hope to go to heaven with never having used the CCW but it needs to be available in today’s society.

Now for those of you feeling a 380 will do no harm. Go to this site

I feel this will show that a 380 can dissapear and be comfortable.
concealed-carry.jpg   belly-band.jpg   bodyguard-380.jpg  

Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Liked this...

THE STOPPING POWER OF DIFFERENT HANDGUN CARTRIDGES 2/22/2003

Posted on Sat Feb 22 2003 22:34:22 GMT-0600 (CST) by 2nd_Amendment_Defender

General Julian Hatcher, a noted forensic pathologist, in the early 1900’s developed a good formula to determine the theoretical stopping power of a firearm cartridge. His formula has withstood the test of time and validation from other studies and data related to stopping power.

You want a handgun cartridge that has a Hatcher value of over 50 for the most effective stopping power. Values over 55 have diminishing returns in that you don’t gain any significant increase in stopping power for the extra recoil and control you must cope with. Handgun cartridges that don’t make a value of at least 50, should not considered for self-defense. If the rating of your handgun cartridge is under 30, it only has about a 30% chance of producing a one shot stop. Hatcher Ratings of 30 to 49 raise a one shot stop to approximately a 50% chance. Ratings of 50 or higher produce a one shot stop about 90% of the time.

Handgun Cartridge Type ..................... Hatcher Rating

.45 ACP full metal jacket 230 grain .......... 49.1

.45 ACP jacketed hollow point 230 grain ......60.7

.44 Magnum full metal jacket 240 grain ....... 92.3

*.44 Magnum lead wad cutter 240 grain .........136.8

.44 Special full metal jacket 240 grain ...... 51.6

*.44 Special lead wad cutter 240 grain ............. 76.5

.41 Magnum full metal jacket 230 grain ............. 54

*.41 Magnum lead wad cutter 230 grain .............. 80

10 millimeter full metal jacket 180 grain .......... 50.3

10 millimeter jacketed hollow point 180 grain ..62.1

.40 S&W full metal jacket flat nose 180 grain ...... 53.4

.40 S&W jacketed hollow point 180 grain ....... 59.4

.38 Special full metal jacket 158 grain ...... 26.7

*.38 Special lead wad cutter 158 grain ............. 39.7

**.357 Magnum full metal jacket 158 grain ..... 32.7

**.357 Magnum lead wad cutter 158 grain ............ 48.5

.357 SIG full metal jacket 147 grain ................ 36.6

.357 SIG jacketed hollow point 147 grain ..... 45.2

9 millimeter full metal jacket 147 grain ............ 32.3

9 millimeter jacketed hollow point 147 grain ... 39.9

.380 Auto jacketed hollow point 95 grain ..... 18.3

.32 Auto jacketed hollow point 71 grain ......11.1

.25 Auto jacketed hollow point 50 grain ......3.7

.22 Long Rifle jacketed hollow point 40 grain ... 4.2

* Jacketed hollow points will have the same rating as wad cutter bullets if the bullet hollow tip is greater than 1/2 of the caliber of the bullet.

* .357 Magnum ratings are taken from a firearm with a 3 inch barrel. Longer barrels will raise the rating of the round.

Any functional handgun is better than no handgun at all. But I hear some people talk about how good the 9 millimeter, .380 Auto, or .38 Special rounds are. If you have the choice of a better handgun for self protection, buy it. Be sure you have the heaviest grain bullet you can get. Make sure it is a functional hollow point in your handgun.

Also be sure to buy a quality handgun that will not jam on you in a situation where you need it.

I also cannot emphasize strongly enoughtheneedto trainwith your firearm of choice for self protection. Go to the shooting range at least once every two months and train with at least 50 rounds of ammunition. Dry fire practice twice a week to master trigger control. If you have not fired a firearm within six months you are probably incompetant with your weapon. A gun will not save you if you do not know how to use it.

In stressful situations we do not rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy423 View Post
Handgun cartridges that don’t make a value of at least 50, should not considered for self-defense. .
Thanks for the post, that's a great list. There are two factors the "under 50" rule doesn't account for though. The first is accuracy, and that in itself is always debatable because the shooters skill and what the round is shot out of comes into play. The point is, the stopping power of any round means nothing if it doesn't land on the target.

The second and most important factor is commitment. My father had one thing to say when he first told me about guns and self defense: "If they're worth shooting once, they're worth shooting five times." Yeah, this goes beyond the academic discussion of ballistics and stopping power but it is the most important factor when talking about self defense.

Knowledge of the weapon, months worth of trigger time and commitment to the moment are going to save your life before a statistic does.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson