Buying my first pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Buying my first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Buying my first pistol

So I am buying my first handgun and can't decide what to get. First off my primary reason for purchasing is home defense. I will eventually get a concealed carry permit but for now main concern is home defense. Of all the firearms I have looked at the Beretta 90-two .40 is my favorite and Walther PK380 comes in a close second. I am aware these are two completely different firearms. I love the reputation of both handguns, I like the style of the beretta a little more plus I know a .40 has a lot more stopping power than the 380. However the 380 is more compact and has lower price tag by about $200. Is there something in the middle of the road I should be aware of? I'm not big on plastic looking guns like glocks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1023 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 224

There goes my suggestion of the springfield XDM9-compact

Find a range that rents firearms and try a bunch of different ones. In my case, the springfield felt just right

.380, especially in a smaller package is a "sharp" recoil. Surprisingly, SWMBO likes it more than I do... ymmv

Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

As partdeux suggested, see if you can find a shop that rents or a range where you are able to try several guns in several calibers. .40 S&W is the love it or hate it caliber so I'd be sure to shoot one if you haven't already. I'm not a fan of it myself; I'd rather have something in 9mm or .45 but you'll find many shooters that can't get enough of it.

Other things to look at when choosing a sidearm is the availability of ammo in your chosen caliber and it's cost. A gun in .380 may be inexpensive but .380 is one of the most expensive pistol rounds to buy.There is a reason why so many shoot 9mm and one of them is the cost of practice and self-defense ammo. Another thing to take into consideration is how much will extras like a holster, extra magazines and goodies like that run you plus just how plentiful are they in your area. Again, a Beretta 90-two is a fine weapon but if you have to pay 3 times the price for 2 extra mags and a holster from an online store it may not be worth it. That is the beauty of the Glock; just about every gun store in America will have extra magazines and holsters to fit them.

If you like the Beretta, take a look at the CZ75 pistol. Probably one of the few remaining 'best kept secrets' of the shooting world, the CZ75 is a phenomenal pistol. I'm also very partial to the S&W M&P family of autos and own/carry either my M&P9 Pro or my M&P45 daily; I know you wanted to stay away from plastic looking pistols but there are some fine examples out there if the Glock isn't your thing.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Wow...one pistol to choose. That is how I started, and then 4 years later I've got 10 firearms. That is because there are so many important uses for guns and each use is best fulfilled by a very different gun.

A gun best for carry is not the gun best for home defense, so which is more important to fulfill first? Shotguns are awesome for home defense, but not so good for carry. A little 9mm is great for concealment, but not the best for repelling a gang bursting through your door.

I think you should go with a full-size semi-auto handgun in a major caliber (9mm or .45acp) and then plan to quickly buy a 12-gauge shotgun and a smaller carry gun in the same caliber as your larger pistol.

I would suggest the Springfield Armory XD(m) 9mm 4.5".

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1023 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Wow...one pistol to choose. That is how I started, and then 4 years later I've got 10 firearms.

I would suggest the Springfield Armory XD(m) 9mm 4.5".
10 in 4 years, hell, I've bought 6 in 4 months And then stole two from a relative (yes stole )

I'm kinda partial to the XD(m) compact, it's a nice carryable package.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Find a range that rents firearms and try a bunch of different ones.
+1

My choice came down to ergonomics. I like the xd's look and feel, but they didnt fit my hand right. I love the modularity and aftermarket support for the glock's. Like i said before though, i chose based on ergonomics. I picked up a Walther PPQ in 40s&w and i dont regret it(except when im trying to find magazines...lol)

I can't fix stupid!!
-Walther PPQ 40 s&w-edc
-Mossberg 590, 8+1 shot, 12 gauge-home defense

Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

The Beretta 90 two is a beast for CC. The XDm compact is a great first gun, it's very verstile. Take a look at one...it's a polymer handgun but you shouldn't let that bother you. However, I do understand the appeal of an all metal handgiun.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I used to be an all metal handgun guy also. However it is my belief that everyone should own a polymer if for nothing else to be able to toss it in a bug out bag. A high cap pistol of one form or another should make its way into every arsenal. That being said I used to CC my sig 220 and the hammer and firing pin area would fill with lint after a week. The XDm I carry now does not have that problem its a striker fired weapon.
I carry my 3.8 XDm .40 in a Galco King Tuk IWB holster. Makes for an easy all day wear without pushing into the siatic nerve. Oh yeah, I shoot it better than my sig also. Buy what you naturally shoot well and then train like crazy and you will be on par with most good shooters. Buy something that you have to fight to shoot well and you will be frustrated no matter how much you train.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm suprised that I haven't seen very many mentions of HK. Yes they are a bit pricey but very reliable. Carry a usp 40( full szed) and have put it through some pretty extreme conditions, over 2000 rounds later, still a nail driver. All steel frames do have a nice, solid feel. But don't overlook the polymers. USP. 40 by Hk is my "every day driver"....

Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

A great little carry pistol is the Ruger SR9c 9mm. Very accurate, concealable and pretty affordable. The ammo's cheap and it comes with a 10rd mag for carry and an extended 17rd mag for home defense (my buddy still caries his with the 17rd anyway). There's also the SR940c too if your set on the .40 cal. In any case, shoot some rental guns if you can especially if your talking about a .40 cal. Dusty had it right about the .40 being a love it or hate it. Its one of those odd rounds that somehow makes more of a difference in feel depending on what its shot out of.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson