Buying Decision
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Buying Decision

View Poll Results: Which one?
Beretta PX4 Storm 2 6.67%
Ruger SR40 3 10.00%
Smith & Wesson M&P40 14 46.67%
Springfield XD40 11 36.67%
Smith & Wesson SD40 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Buying Decision

Hello All,

I recently acquired a Colt 1911a1 in .22. This is my first handgun and you can find a post about it in the Range Review section.

I have already made the decision that I am definately going to want something bigger. My wife said that it would have to wait until after Christmas but I like to research. I'm thinking semi-auto but a revolver does hold a high appeal for me. Based on a price cap of $550 or so, which pistol would you choose? All of these seem to get mainly good reviews. I have no experience with centerfire pistols but will definately be getting one.

Ruger SR40 ($450)
Springfield XD40 ($550)
Beretta PX4 Storm ($529)
Smith & Wesson M&P40 ($550)
Smith & Wesson SD40 ($450)

I've already decided on .40 unless I get talked into either 9mm, .38 or .45. I really only see the .45 if I were to go with a 1911. These are all prices that are at retail locations of a store near me. I won't order a gun from an internet vendor and I want to see/handle the gun in person before laying down any money.

I haven't yet been around to any of the LGS in the area that I deal with but if they have a price that is similar, then I will almost always buy from the local dealer.

Last edited by aandabooks; 11-08-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You have some good choices there. If possible get to the gun shop and handle all of them. Then see if you can rent or borrow the ones that appeal to you. You'll probably be able to narrow it down pretty well and shooting them should almost automatically make the choice for you.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You have some good choices there. If possible get to the gun shop and handle all of them. Then see if you can rent or borrow the ones that appeal to you. You'll probably be able to narrow it down pretty well and shooting them should almost automatically make the choice for you.
Unfortunately, I don't have a gun range in my area to rent a gun to try out. I have searched and unless someone out there can point me in the right direction, I am going to have to go on feel at the sale counter. I have looked in the Peoria, IL area and can't find a range.

I shoot at my own property, so it's not like I don't have somewhere to shoot.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have a gun range in my area to rent a gun to try out. I have searched and unless someone out there can point me in the right direction, I am going to have to go on feel at the sale counter. I have looked in the Peoria, IL area and can't find a range.

I shoot at my own property, so it's not like I don't have somewhere to shoot.
Lucky..

Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Why only include polymer frame guns as options in the poll? There are plenty of other metal frame models that will fit within your price range.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Without knowing really what this guns primary purpose will be, I'd suggest looking into the 9mm more.

For every argument for the 9mm there is one for the .40...or .45 or whatever. All cartridges will have strengths and weaknesses but purpose will dictate what is best.

The reason I mention the 9mm is because I consider it the ideal round for "general" use. Meaning home defense, concealed carry and practice/sport shooting for fun. But I don't want to be a derailasourus. I just wanted to offer an opinion on the caliber.

As to your gun choices. All will likely serve you well. I always try to buy American when I can, and when I was in the market a couple of years ago, I handled several of the same guns. The Smith & Wesson M&P felt best in my hand and that's what I went with. The gun has been flawless every time I've shot it.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

.40 caliber in a polymer frame wouldn't be my first choice. Or my second, or my third, or my fourth...

But that's just me. I had to own one before I realized I don't care for them.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I voted for the XD because I think it's the best weapon on that list, but I also would recommend a 9mm over a .40. What convinced you to go .40? Less capacity, snappier recoil, more expansive ammo, and all for pretty much the same terminal effectiveness of 9mm.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Books, if you'd give us some more information, we could help you better. What will be the pistol's primary use? Will it sit on the nightstand and just be shot occasionally? Will you eventually be carrying it? Are you locked in on a .40 cal and are you locked in on a polymer frame?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

Liked 339 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The guns you list should all function about the same, as they're all quality polymers of comparable size. So the answer is probably just to figure out which fits best in your hand. My own preference would be the XD or M&P, but that really shouldn't influence your decision at all.

If I were to suggest something similar in price, but a little off your radar...CZ 75b. It's an all-steel gun, a 9mm (though they do offer 40sw), and available new for a little over $500. There are many CZ fans on these boards, mostly because it's a well-made gun that many of us find easy to shoot well. I have more expensive firearms than my 75b. So do all of my friends that I shoot with. But we all seem to find our mark better behind that gun than any other.