bullet shell not ejecting?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > bullet shell not ejecting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bullet shell not ejecting?

Last weekend was my first time at a shooting range, I'm totally new with guns. My friend bought a Sig Sauer and I tried. There were 3 of us so we took turns. On the first round I had no problem. But on my second round it jammed almost every single shot (by jamming I mean the shell not ejecting and was stuck inside). My friend (who has experience with shooting a gun) went up after me and he was fine, no jamming. So what did I do wrong? The way I held the gun? I only put one finger on the trigger and my left hand was supporting at the base. The way I pulled the trigger? But the action is so instantaneous I don't see how I can do wrong?

By the way the gun was brand new so it's not dirty. Bullets are cheap though, but that doesn't explain why when my friend shot it it doesn't jam.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Cheap ammo combined with a new pistol could have been it. If the ammo was reloads they might have been light on the powder. That and a recoil spring that isn't broken in yet could have easily caused that. In any case you didn't do anything wrong. Your grip should be your firing hand resting inside your left though not on top of it, for accuracy sake. IMO.

*edit*
Oh yeah welcome to FTF! don't forget to post in the introductions thread!

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 03-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

How was the gun reacting in your hand when you fired? Was it stable, or did it really fly back and up? You may have been "limp wristing" it. That can cause the slide to not make a full cycle, preventing ejection and recovery of a cartridge from the magazine. Cheap ammo can be the culprit as well. I have had some stuff I shouldn't have bought at a gun show that ranged from squib to half powered to close to full powered in the same box of 50.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I'm not familiar with that pistol, but if it did it for you & didn't for your buddy, using same ammo & mag, sounds like your grip. You don't need a crushing grip on it, but you do need to keep a stiff wrist on recoil. One thing you can do to test this possibility is to shoot while holding it down tight to a table, shooting bench or sand bags & concentrate on not letting the pistol rise up off of the support. The problem should go away. Then, all you need to do is work on keeping your wrist straight.

Last edited by gollygee; 03-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

Liked 1838 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbit View Post
. . My friend (who has experience with shooting a gun) went up after me and he was fine, no jamming. So what did I do wrong? The way I held the gun? I only put one finger on the trigger and my left hand was supporting at the base. . .
It sounds like you weren't holding the gun still enough after it fired. It's called 'Limp wristing'. It means you're allowing the gun to jump up after being fired and that disapates some of the energy the slide needs to fully cycle and eject the shell.

If I may presume you're a righty:

Try putting the heel of your L hand in the hollow right behind your R hand's fingers on the grip. Wrap your L hand's fingers over & around your R hand's fingers. Keep your L thumb adjacent to the trigger area and away from the top of your R hand and the back of the gun or the slide may 'bite' your thumb as it cycles back after being shot. Really hold it still after you fire so all the recoil energy is directed to cycling the slide instead of raising your hand and arm.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-12-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

limp wristing

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I agree with limp wristing

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

thank you all! so fast and so helpful!

I think it's limp wristing then. Shooting a gun takes a lot of effort! I think I was a little tired the second round, so I might have been holding it not at all the same as I did for the first round. The way that Vincine describes it sound like my problem.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3058 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Don't use the support hand on the base of the grip.
There are plenty of videos of proper grip on the net. Normally the strong hand is "held" in place by the support hand.

By putting the support hand at the base, you are not using the support it can provide.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

It actually helped me to shoot one handed. May not work for everyone, but I believe I was relying too much on my support hand & wasn't concentrating on keeping a stiff wrist. Even one handed with my weak hand, I did better until toward the end after 50+ rounds & I think that was fatigue. This was with a PF9 which has a pretty good recoil to it. I've never had an issue with any of my other pistols, 9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP.