Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Buffalo Bore +P Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/buffalo-bore-p-ammo-34693/)

jstkrsn 11-24-2010 01:18 AM

Buffalo Bore +P Ammo

Bought some 9mm +P CarBon ammo. It is stamped +P on the case. Also bought some Buffalo Bore 380 +P ammo. It is not stamped +P on the case. Do they stamp their cases +P? The box says +P on it, but not the case. Haven't shot it yet so I don't know if I should send it back. Got it from Cabela's. Anyone know?

thanks

JonM 11-24-2010 01:56 AM

different companies stamp things differently.

gschnarr 11-28-2010 01:00 AM

As with the 380, there are no standards set for 380p+. The industry has standards for P+ and +P+ for the chamber pressures for the 9mm. With the 380, there is no standard. So what does P+ mean in 380? That is the problem. A few years ago, a few manufactures such as CorBon, did list a P+ in 380 but have since removed them. Without industry standards, I would be very surprised if the 380 cases were marked P+.

skullcrusher 11-28-2010 01:13 AM

There is a .380 +p? You sure it is not .38 +p? I know all of your math teachers said that last 0 does not matter, but this is not math class. ;)

jstkrsn 11-28-2010 02:57 AM

380 +p

This is 380 Acp +P. As Buffalo Bore makes a normal 380 and a 380 +P I didn't know how to tell them apart except for the mark on the box. Most people mark the +P on the brass. Don't know if I got the correct item or not. But I'll find out this week as I am going to the range.:)

canebrake 11-28-2010 07:30 PM

First, what gun are you using the .380 +P in?

Skully, yep;

.380 Auto +P Bullets for Pistols and Handguns

It's not recommended in many 380's. (Elsie Pea's for one.)

OP, this +P stamp is not an industry standard but quality brass suppliers will produce a standard case and a more robust +P case for the hot loads. The +P cases have a thicker web and heavier sidewall at base. This strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has less internal capacity than the standard case. That reduced space will cause pressures to rise. This will not be an issue if you are not loading to limit. If you are, be aware of this potential issue.

If you are a re-loader, only hot load those cases that are marked with +P, keep these cases segregated and pay particular attention when you inspect them prior to re-load.

jstkrsn 11-29-2010 04:16 PM

Buffalo Bore 380 +P Ammo

I have two 380's. One is a FI Model D and a Beretta Model 84. I was planning on using the +P ammo in the Beretta only because it has an obvious thicker barrel. The FI barrel is thinner so it may not be able to handle the increased pressure.

Jim

robocop10mm 11-29-2010 06:07 PM

That is a question best posed to Bufalo Bore. Barrel thickness is rarely the issue. Recoil spring tension, slide mass and material, chamber dimensions, etc are more critical. When in doubt stick with SAAMI spec ammo from a major manufacturer. I do not think Buffalo Bore is a SAAMI member, but that does not mean their ammo is any more or less safe or powerful than Remington/Winchester/Federal, etc.

c3shooter 11-29-2010 11:45 PM

I have no doubt that Buffalo Bore is loading a hot .380, and marking the boxes .380+P.

What was being said was the SAAMI- the industry group that establishes ammo standards- only has 4 +P cartridges. .38 Special, 9mm, .45 ACP. ALL .38 Super ammo is +P.

Outside of those 4, there is no established standard for a +P cartridge.

austintx 12-01-2010 02:21 AM

Tim Sundles, the founder/owner of Buffalo Bore, told me that the .380 "+P" load checks in at around 25,000 psi, which is nearly 20% higher than the 21,000 psi average maximum pressure specified by SAAMI.

I would use it sparingly in any gun and not at all in many. The Beretta should handle it fine, but I would probably never fire it out of any of the pocket .380 pistols.