Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Browning Hi-Power welcome here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

SACamp,Mine looks just like your Sport model except it sports Pachmyer grips.I've got a big celebration trip to the range planned for 2wks.from now and plan on trying out all my new aquisitions.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

For what ever it might be worth--I'm retired now but was a smith for BrowninG for 38 years. The Hi-Power was one of the gun's that I worked one and have worked on, refinished, shot and engraved probably thousands of them over the years that I was there. I still remember a few things about them and if I can be of some help please feel free to ask.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
For what ever it might be worth--I'm retired now but was a smith for BrowninG for 38 years. The Hi-Power was one of the gun's that I worked one and have worked on, refinished, shot and engraved probably thousands of them over the years that I was there. I still remember a few things about them and if I can be of some help please feel free to ask.
Thanks for your generous offer!!! I'm down to one Hi power at the moment, but will probably take you up on your offer at some point.

Welcome to FTF, as well!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's great Vearl. Thanks for the offer.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've shot several thousand (YES 1000's) and they never wore out anything on my hands. You can remove the mag. saftey if you want but there are several things that you can do with and to the Hi-Power to improve it's "Natural Creepy" trigger pull if you know how. The best thing you can use on the Hi-Power is " Common Sense "

Old 10-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #26

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
I've shot several thousand (YES 1000's) and they never wore out anything on my hands. You can remove the mag. saftey if you want but there are several things that you can do with and to the Hi-Power to improve it's "Natural Creepy" trigger pull if you know how. The best thing you can use on the Hi-Power is " Common Sense "
You have inspired me to tear mine down this weekend, and clean it up a bit. It has been a bit neglected lately.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

They are "Great Pistols" a lot like the "Energizer Bunny" they just keep going and going. Over the years I've came to the conclusion that the worse enemy that the pistol has is the person that owns them !!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #28

Default Browning Hi-Power 9mm - where's it made?

Hi, I saw on Browning USA's web the hi-power is "made in Belgium" and "assembled in Portugal". Has the hi-power always been manufactured as such? Or it was originally made in the U.S.A. Just curious.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #29

Hello. I do not know exactly when but for a number of years now, FN has supervised assembling operations in Portugal due to labor costs in Belgium. Reportedly, a misreading of US importation laws resulted in Browning-marked Hi Powers bearing the "Made in Belgium/Assembled in Portugal" markings where the FN-marked Hi Powers did not...even though they too were assembled there and have been for something in the neighborhood of a decade now.

No FN/Browning Hi Powers have been manufactured in the US, ever. Some FN firearms definitely are such as the FNP/FNX line of handguns and our military's M16's and so forth but not the Hi Power. They are made in Herstal, Belgium.

Here is a somewhat related article that might be of interest:

hi-powers--handguns: "Portuguese Hi Powers"

Best to you and yours.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

SACamp is pretty well right on the nose with his reply. They are marked like this because of the requirement to have the "Country of Origin" on imported products. When BrowninG still had the S/S they were marked "Made in Japan--Assembled in Korea" on them. It's all about about saving a buck. Some of the Hi-Power magazines are marked "Made in Italy" these were made by Beretta and are really good magazines.
To the best of my knowledge NO Hi-Power's were ever made in the USA but like most of their stuff I learned "Never Say Never" cause that's when someone will show up with one. When we were still on Washington Ave. It was common knowledge that BrowninG NEVER made a side by side shotgun till someone walked in one day with a pair of them. The most consistent that I found with BrowninG is their INCONSISTENCY !!