Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Browning Hi Power 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning Hi Power 9mm

New here and really don't know much. I have been looking at a 1959 Browning HiPower 9mm. The question I have is concerning the barrel. When the slide is pulled back the barrel seems to be loose with movement front to rear. Is this normal? Thanks for any comments.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
cbw

I have two HP Browning 9MM and neither one of them seem to be "loose" with any movement front to rear or side to side. Both of mine are much newer that what looking at though. I'm no expert but I would take it to a gunsmith who knows what should be the correct slack for the year of the gun your looking at. I'm real happy with both of mine.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5-33 View Post
New here and really don't know much. I have been looking at a 1959 Browning HiPower 9mm. The question I have is concerning the barrel. When the slide is pulled back the barrel seems to be loose with movement front to rear. Is this normal? Thanks for any comments.
Yes, the barrel is supposed to be loose when the slide is locked open. That's John Browning's "patented locking breech" design.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There should be no reason to worry. You can always ask a local gunsmith, if you are still unsure.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Not uncommon

Lots of semi-autos have floating barrels when the slides are locked back. The natural result of a design which allows one to simply lift it out to clean.

You just can't do better than a Browning Hi-Power. In my opinion, it is the result of John Browning correcting the flaws in the 1911. It is the best gun I own without a doubt.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

That wobble is necessary. Buy the pistol.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

Default It's Normal, buy it

One thing I finally know of this board. With the Slide back the "looseness" is normal. After carrying and firing a few thousand rounds in 1911's, and more wheel guns than I can recall, The only one I carry now and use all the time is the Hi-Power. Just dead reliable, hi capacity, digest about any ammo, very accurate, yeah, I'm a fan.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #8

Default Loose fixed front sight and barrel/slide bushing

Hi, Ive got my own Hi power 9mm a few months back, lovely gun, 1972-75 era was in grease for 30 yrs, immaculate. Cost $590 usd (€450 euro)

Ive noticed that the front sight (fixed non adjustable blade type) is loose, if i cock it a few times, allowing the spring to bring to close her, or fire her a few times I see the sight pop out slightly... anyone seen this before? Any tips on fixing?

I also noticed, now that ive been paying to that area of the gun that when the gun is stripped the bushing that houses the barrel muzzel when assembled seems to rotate slightly, maybe 5 degrees back and forth however stays flush with the slide. anyone seen this either?

gun doesnt seem to have been abused, no knocks of dings apparent.
Like i say gun is like new. only a few hundred round through her... less than 500.

All and any advice welcome.

Last edited by Panhard90; 01-27-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Weird. I don't have any advice other that what you already know. Bring it to a gunsmith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhard90 View Post
Hi, Ive got my own Hi power 9mm a few months back, lovely gun, 1972-75 era was in grease for 30 yrs, immaculate. Cost $590 usd (€450 euro)

Ive noticed that the front sight (fixed non adjustable blade type) is loose, if i cock it a few times, allowing the spring to bring to close her, or fire her a few times I see the sight pop out slightly... anyone seen this before? Any tips on fixing?

I also noticed, now that ive been paying to that area of the gun that when the gun is stripped the bushing that houses the barrel muzzel when assembled seems to rotate slightly, maybe 5 degrees back and forth however stays flush with the slide. anyone seen this either?

gun doesnt seem to have been abused, no knocks of dings apparent.
Like i say gun is like new. only a few hundred round through her... less than 500.

All and any advice welcome.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5-33 View Post
This "LOOSENESS " is totally normal. With the slide locked back the barrel is "Out of Battery" and this movement is OK !