Browning Buckmark vs. Ruger MKII-III ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Browning Buckmark vs. Ruger MKII-III ??

View Poll Results: Ruger MK-III or Browning Buckmark ??
MK-III 7 38.89%
Buckmark 10 55.56%
Other ? 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning Buckmark vs. Ruger MKII-III ??

I don't know when the last time this was questioned but I gotta know ?
Who Likes the Buckmark and why, who likes the MKII- III and why ??

Myself votes for the Ruger. It's stronger, better built, accurate, all steel, has great pointability and looks good. Especially the Target and Standard models with the 6 inch barrels !
I do looooove the Hunter and Competition models however !!

The Buckmark is very nice, looks more like a Traditional Target pistol, and has a more hand filling grip. I will even say it feels a bit better. The thing that bugs me about it is the aluminum receiver and the screws that hold it down !
I know it's only a 22 LR but I don't think a receiver should be made this way.
Also there is too many tiny cheap parts inside, and those screws come loose when you shoot the gun at times. The Ruger is a bitch to take down and re-assemble at first but once you get the hang of it no big deal.
Please Vote Below ........

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Both are great pistols. I prefer the grip of the buckmark and the out of the box trigger is much better.

Quote:
Myself votes for the Ruger. It's stronger, better built, accurate, all steel, has great pointability and looks good.
Really? I'm assuming these are opinions. If it truly were all of these over the browning I would have got one, but neither are better built, more accurate, stronger, etc.... imo.
I had a buckmark that was 16yrs old and still running like a champ.

Go shoot them both and then make your decision.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2967 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I looked at both. While I can't really fault the Buckmark for anything, I felt that the Ruger had a bit better feel for my taste.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

Don't get me wrong, I came oh so close to buying a Buckmark as I did like the look and feel, and did hear the triggers are awesome. It's those damn screws that turned me off ! The fact that the Ruger is all steel is what sold me. I know some say they are a pain to fieldstrip, but after watching a few videos it's really not that bad. The spring and spring holder {That Little Square Piece} in the Buckmark looks kind of cheesy.
I do like Rugers point ability too, just like a PO-8 Luger. If the Buckmark didn't have the screw top take down receiver, I probably would have got the Browning. I don't know maybe im just paranoid ?

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Poll needs an option for both.

They both serve a well intended purpose and both are fine guns. To put one higher than the other is to target a specific type of shooting or a specific category that one excels and the other does not.

You would be well served with either one in your arsenal - and I have shot and owned both over the years.

JD

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
ET1

I bought my wife a Browning Buck Mark Camper and she loves it. I might have to buy her a new slide with tabs on the back of the slide since she seems to be having trouble grabbing and racking the slide on the one we got on the camper. There are serrations to grab but they don't work real well. She shot the Ruger Mark III and liked it, but also liked the Buck Mark. She does like the stock grips on the Buck Mark better.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the Mk. III Competition model, and I love everything about it. I removed the magazine disconnect and swapped out the hammer and bushing for Mk. II parts to make takedown easier - it's a pretty simple process and the parts just drop in, no fitting required.

I obviously voted for the Ruger, but the Buckmark is a perfectly valid choice and a fantastic gun. I've never heard anyone complain about screws coming loose on one, like you mentioned. You may want to double-check your sources.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #8

I have had a Ruger Standard for a bunch of years and absolutely love it. My friend has a fairly recent Buckmark and it's a sweet gun too. I'd like to own both. Can't say if one is better than the other - most people vote for what they own to confirm that they made the right choice.

I love shooting 22's of any kind. That feeling of when I was a kid and would go to my best friend's dad's camp never goes away. His dad had a Marlin bolt action rifle that we must have almost worn out. Later when I was 15 or so, I bought a Nylon 66 for $49.00 and wish I knew how many rounds have been through that lil gun. I'm 59 years old now and still shoot it every now and then. It was underwater in Katrina and the barrel exterior looks like crap. I had to replace a few springs and other parts, but it shoots as good as it ever did and is super reliable. Is it better than some other 22 rifle - who knows? It's got a ton of sentimental value though.

My point is you'll be happy with either one - both have excellent reputations. 40or 50 years from now you probably wouldn't take any amount of money for it.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
I bought my wife a Browning Buck Mark Camper and she loves it. I might have to buy her a new slide with tabs on the back of the slide since she seems to be having trouble grabbing and racking the slide on the one we got on the camper. There are serrations to grab but they don't work real well. She shot the Ruger Mark III and liked it, but also liked the Buck Mark. She does like the stock grips on the Buck Mark better.
Skate tape is your friend

Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Poll is closed, but my personal taste is the Buckmark. Mine is now 25 and going strong. I just prefer the way the Buckmark feels in the hand. If I was going with a Ruger it would be one of the 22/45 frames.

Both outstanding pistols.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."