Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Browning 1911 .22 A1 - Review (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/browning-1911-22-a1-review-61303/)

chucksolo69 03-28-2012 04:55 PM

Browning 1911 .22 A1 - Review

This is a range report of the new "baby" Browning 1911 .22 A1. After unpackaging the gun, the first thing I noticed was that the fit and finish of this all aluminum gun appear to be first rate; only time will tell if the black anodized finish will last. All parts appear to be fitted very tightly and there are no rattles when shaking the gun. The canvas and leather zippered case that accompanies the gun is also first rate and has a nice brass lock included. John Browning's signature is embossed on one of the leather enhancements as are the words "100 Years" and the dates 1911 - 2011 on the other. Also included are a California approved lock , a certificate of authenticity, a user's manual, and two fired cases in a brown envelope; overall, a very nice package.

Now, on to the shooting. First off, after 300+ rounds of shooting I had one failure to feed with Federal 550 bulk. I attribute that to the ammo though. I fired Winchester bulk 330 hollow points, the aforementioned Federal Bulk and CCI Mini Mags. Surprisingly the Winchester bulk shot the most accurately for me with 3 bulls eyes out of 10 at 15 yards at one point; most of my shots were always in the black of an NRA 25 yard slow fire pistol target. I noticed that the more I shot the gun, the more accurate it got as the parts wore in. All my shooting was done at 15 yards not any closer or further.

The gun did have a little bit more recoil than I was expecting, especially with the CCI Mini Mags. I got no hammer bite, but my hands are not large, about medium sized. The sights are smallish, but I am used to that since the sights on my SA GI .45 are small as are the sights on my Star Model B and on my Browning Hi-Power as well. The folks in the adjacent shooting lanes were very intrigued with the gun and I allowed them to shoot through a couple of magazines; afterward they commented on how nice it felt in their hand. One fellow even went up to the sales counter and asked about ordering one.

I have a Mosquito and traded in a Walther P22 on this little Browning. I can honestly say, IMO, that the Browning 1911 .22 A1 is superior to either of those guns in every way. Cleaning was a snap too. Easier than a normal sized 1911 as there is no swinging barrel link to contend with. Way easier to disassemble and clean than either the SIG or Walther. I am really glad now that I went with the Browning and not the GSG, SIG, or Colt, despite the higher price. This little 1911 is definitely a keeper.

dks7895 03-28-2012 07:33 PM

If you don't mind sharing....what did you pay for it? Got any pics?

krisko09 03-28-2012 07:42 PM

Yes, let's see some pics of this little beast

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

chucksolo69 03-28-2012 08:13 PM

No, not at all. I paid $550.00 plus tax and DROS. I will tryto post pics in the next couple of days. The price seems a little steep for this gun, but having been a shooter for 40+ years, I can tell you that this gun should last a life time. I may trade in my Mosquito for another one for my wife.

chucksolo69 03-29-2012 02:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of my Browning 1911 .22 A1 compared with my SA GI .45 1911, RIA Compact, and Browning Hi-Power.