Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > "Breaking in" a new gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Breaking in" a new gun?

I bought a Ruger SR40 a fee months ago, and had a lot of jamming problems. However, after putting a couple hundred rounds through it, the problems have lessened.
Is this typical of a new handgun? Are there particular ones that need to be "broken in" and ones that do not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #2

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It doesn't hurt to give them a couple hundred rounds to settle themselves in. If you keep having problems, call Ruger and have it shipped back.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99zulu View Post
I bought a Ruger SR40 a fee months ago, and had a lot of jamming problems. However, after putting a couple hundred rounds through it, the problems have lessened.
Is this typical of a new handgun? Are there particular ones that need to be "broken in" and ones that do not?
Age old debate---Break In Period----
Shoot it-
Clean it -
Shoot it some more-
A lot of issues will cease after you run a few hundred rounds thru a new simi auto hand gun-
Not much of a beliver in typical - Too many varibles

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

vincent Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Alright, thanks for the info. That was fast as Hell lol.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #5

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99zulu View Post
Alright, thanks for the info. That was fast as Hell lol.
Naw- We're just SIMI fast

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Liked 212 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Some ammo ,even fmj ammo just does not run as well as a different brand or weight when new as it should. Try a different weight and or brand. The ammo you have now may run great after another 100 rounds. Also see if your feed ramp could usea bit of extra polishing. I metal polish and a cotton patch wrapped around a brush chucked in a drill will do .Or some 1000gr wet/dry sand paper oiled will do.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
dax

Never haf any issues with a Glock out the box. That aside, my friend has a .40 Millenium which jammed all the time. He tried everything to solve rhe problem to no avail. One day at the range I dissassembled the pisto and found. nothing wrong. I reinserted the recoil spring the opposite it was beforr me handling it. That splved the problem. FYI

Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

My glock 23 had quite a few failures when it was new. At the 500th round, its reputation decided to clock in. Several thousand rounds later and i have not experienced another malfunction of any kind from it. In fact it, replaced my xd, h&k, and kimber as my primary carry weapon. (For reasons other than reliability) the glock is just a better compromise of several criteria that i want in a carry weapon.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #9

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Not really sure if it helps or not, but when I first buy a brand new gun I will sit and rack the slide continuously while watching TV at night for the first several days. I will also dry-fire the gun during this time too. I believe it helps get all the friction points to loosen up and starts the break-in process without having to actually fire the gun. Just what I do. YMMV

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I first got my xd45 I also spent a few days racking the slide and dry friring the gun. During this time I also got use to breaking the gun down. Before my first range time with it I Brown it down and gave it a really good cleaning and reoiled everything. With about 500 rounds though of now I have had no problems out of it.