Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bought my first fire arm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bought my first fire arm

So I bought my first arm. I went with a Springfield xd 9mm. I pick it up this weekend. I'm curious about a couple things. I want to buy some ammo, can anyone give me some suggestions on good 9mm ammo. Also I want to buy a good holster..... Another thing I wanted to ask is should I take a safety course? It's cost 50$. I'm in the marines and I know how to handle weapons. I've had some expirience, so I'm curious if I should go to the safety class.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick View Post
So I bought my first arm. I went with a Springfield xd 9mm. I pick it up this weekend. I'm curious about a couple things. I want to buy some ammo, can anyone give me some suggestions on good 9mm ammo. Also I want to buy a good holster..... Another thing I wanted to ask is should I take a safety course? It's cost 50$. I'm in the marines and I know how to handle weapons. I've had some expirience, so I'm curious if I should go to the safety class.
Ammo: Winchester White Box or Wal-Mart Federal are fine for day to day practice. For social work, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Federal Hydra Shock and so on. Most will do fine, just verify function before trusting your life to it.
Holsters are a personal thing. I think that the Theis are great for IWB, but opinions vary. http://theisholsters.com/products.php
As a member of the USMC, I'm going to assume that you spend enough time with various firearms to know how not to hurt yourself and those around you. If you had never handled a pistol before, then I'd recommend it.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Congrats Yolo, that makes 2 new Springfield owners today so far!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Welcome.

A holster......? For open carry or concealed? For concealed Remora or Crossbreed are good. They are quite different from each other, but both have their place. Holsters are personal items.............

Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
Ammo: Winchester White Box or Wal-Mart Federal are fine for day to day practice. For social work, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Federal Hydra Shock and so on. Most will do fine, just verify function before trusting your life to it.
Holsters are a personal thing. I think that the Theis are great for IWB, but opinions vary. http://theisholsters.com/products.php
As a member of the USMC, I'm going to assume that you spend enough time with various firearms to know how not to hurt yourself and those around you. If you had never handled a pistol before, then I'd recommend it.
I've handled many weapons before. And in the corps there huge on safety. But not so much a pistol. I'm just wondering if it's that much different from handling semi auto rifles. I don't want it to be a waste o time and money.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Congrats Yolo, that makes 2 new Springfield owners today so far!!!
Haha it's nice to know I'm not alone...I feel like the new kid on the block. Ima a real amature when it comes to pistols.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS
Welcome.

A holster......? For open carry or concealed? For concealed Remora or Crossbreed are good. They are quite different from each other, but both have their place. Holsters are personal items.............
Most definitely concealed... What is the price range for those holsters?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #8

Liked 267 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a Galco holster for my Gp100 and it was right around $100 but from talking to a guy at my local gun store he said it will last me for a very long time. So for me spending a little more up front will pay off in the long run.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick View Post
Anything you can get a WalMart will be fine for range time. I keep Hornady Critical Defense in mine for carry.

You probably know more about how to handle a gun than anyone else who will take the class. But if you don't need $50, there's a lot worse things you could spend the money on. The new material would be likely dependent on how much attention the instructor puts towards the legalities of carrying. I'd ask before hand.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Unpopulist
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Im not sure your going to find anyone here that would say "f it, you're a marine youve had training". You don't seem to sure about it so if you can afford it, do it. Alot of places will teach tactical after the initial course too, sometimes in a package deal. Theres that, and if you're going to carry concealed you probably have some handgun safety training requirement anyway.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson