Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Bought my first fire arm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/bought-my-first-fire-arm-57732/)

y0L0slick 02-14-2012 08:27 PM

Bought my first fire arm

So I bought my first arm. I went with a Springfield xd 9mm. I pick it up this weekend. I'm curious about a couple things. I want to buy some ammo, can anyone give me some suggestions on good 9mm ammo. Also I want to buy a good holster..... Another thing I wanted to ask is should I take a safety course? It's cost 50$. I'm in the marines and I know how to handle weapons. I've had some expirience, so I'm curious if I should go to the safety class.

Overkill0084 02-14-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0L0slick (Post 708555)
So I bought my first arm. I went with a Springfield xd 9mm. I pick it up this weekend. I'm curious about a couple things. I want to buy some ammo, can anyone give me some suggestions on good 9mm ammo. Also I want to buy a good holster..... Another thing I wanted to ask is should I take a safety course? It's cost 50$. I'm in the marines and I know how to handle weapons. I've had some expirience, so I'm curious if I should go to the safety class.

Ammo: Winchester White Box or Wal-Mart Federal are fine for day to day practice. For social work, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Federal Hydra Shock and so on. Most will do fine, just verify function before trusting your life to it.
Holsters are a personal thing. I think that the Theis are great for IWB, but opinions vary. http://theisholsters.com/products.php
As a member of the USMC, I'm going to assume that you spend enough time with various firearms to know how not to hurt yourself and those around you. If you had never handled a pistol before, then I'd recommend it.

vincent 02-14-2012 08:53 PM

Congrats Yolo, that makes 2 new Springfield owners today so far!!!

TimKS 02-14-2012 09:05 PM

Welcome.

A holster......? For open carry or concealed? For concealed Remora or Crossbreed are good. They are quite different from each other, but both have their place. Holsters are personal items............. ;)

y0L0slick 02-14-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084
Ammo: Winchester White Box or Wal-Mart Federal are fine for day to day practice. For social work, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Federal Hydra Shock and so on. Most will do fine, just verify function before trusting your life to it.
Holsters are a personal thing. I think that the Theis are great for IWB, but opinions vary. http://theisholsters.com/products.php
As a member of the USMC, I'm going to assume that you spend enough time with various firearms to know how not to hurt yourself and those around you. If you had never handled a pistol before, then I'd recommend it.

I've handled many weapons before. And in the corps there huge on safety. But not so much a pistol. I'm just wondering if it's that much different from handling semi auto rifles. I don't want it to be a waste o time and money.

y0L0slick 02-14-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent
Congrats Yolo, that makes 2 new Springfield owners today so far!!!

Haha it's nice to know I'm not alone...I feel like the new kid on the block. Ima a real amature when it comes to pistols.

y0L0slick 02-14-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS
Welcome.

A holster......? For open carry or concealed? For concealed Remora or Crossbreed are good. They are quite different from each other, but both have their place. Holsters are personal items............. ;)

Most definitely concealed... What is the price range for those holsters?

fupuk 02-14-2012 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a Galco holster for my Gp100 and it was right around $100 but from talking to a guy at my local gun store he said it will last me for a very long time. So for me spending a little more up front will pay off in the long run.

ScottA 02-14-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0L0slick (Post 708555)

Anything you can get a WalMart will be fine for range time. I keep Hornady Critical Defense in mine for carry.

You probably know more about how to handle a gun than anyone else who will take the class. But if you don't need $50, there's a lot worse things you could spend the money on. The new material would be likely dependent on how much attention the instructor puts towards the legalities of carrying. I'd ask before hand.

Cattledog 02-14-2012 09:54 PM

Im not sure your going to find anyone here that would say "f it, you're a marine youve had training". You don't seem to sure about it so if you can afford it, do it. Alot of places will teach tactical after the initial course too, sometimes in a package deal. Theres that, and if you're going to carry concealed you probably have some handgun safety training requirement anyway.