Bought my 1st Gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bought my 1st Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

C'mon, you have been here long enough to know that I am a 1911 man and that I have a distaste for anything Glock. There is no sense in beating a dead horse...LOL

JD

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i wasnt thinking bout that, just thought u wouldve put all prejudices away for a moment. i love glocks and i also like 1911's too, but glocks are numbero uno in my book.

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #23

Okay, putting all prejudices aside, this is what I have to say about the Glocks, just to appease the good sgt a bit.

This is essentially one of the easiest strip and clean weapons for CCW. It consists of very few moving parts and isn't subject to the tight tolerances issues that other auto pistols suffer from. The polymer lower is impervious to just about all elements, and is thus cheaper to mass produce.

The striker fired design "in theory" puts the forward motion of the striker to primer contact lower into the hand of the user, therefor it is supposed to help eliminate muzzle dip.

Everyone has seen the demos with Glock reps throwing their loaded gun in the air, letting it hit on the concrete, dumping it in a pail of water and then burning through a magazine on single fire, fast trigger pull rate of fire.

SO, in theory, you could do the same if you really wanted too.

The weapon is designed to run dirty, so you don't need to worry about cleaning it if you don't want too. I guess that is a plus.

I believe it now features 3 safeties ( trigger, grip and firing pin ), but the early models featured one. So that was a step in the right direction.

With the striker fired condition, one can easily check for a live round in the chamber in the dark with just the use of one's off hand.

So, you have, what is, basically a good pistol for a beginner. A pistol that is going to go bang when you need it too, and isn't going to be rough on you, the user, for not treating it with TLC.

So, there is my list of "pluses" for the Glock polymer pistol. Now I am going to go start a thread of the things I dislike about it... LOL

JD

Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
"without the problems" what probs would you be talking bout there. in the years i had mine there wasnt 1 problem i had faced
I have to agree. Never had a problem with my Glock. Not a single jam in 5 years of service before I sold it.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thank you JD for your honesty. but you mentioned a grip safety, how does that work? is it like a beaver-tail or is it something different, i didnt know bout this upgrade... interesting

Wars begin where u will

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
thank you JD for your honesty. but you mentioned a grip safety, how does that work? is it like a beaver-tail or is it something different, i didnt know bout this upgrade... interesting
I could be completely wrong on that, but I had read that Glock was instituting a "form" of grip safety, different from the beavertail, but of their own design. I don't know that to be true, hence the reason I said "I believe" before I listed them. They could have scrapped the plans all together for all I know. *shrug*

I am not a big fan of the weapon, but I can see why people would be. I don't study them, a day or so ago I said they were produced in Germany but was corrected, rightfully so, but ranger-sxt to Austria.

So, there you have it.

JD

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i wonder what it will look like after the mods if they do go through with the transition

Wars begin where u will

Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Glocks are high quality WORK-HORSES... unfortunately, they do not possess any heritage OR heirloom quality such as Colt's or Browning's. But make no mistake... a Glock will fire when others won't.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #29

Congrats on your G30. I love mine, despite the fact that it's older and doesn't have the rail to mount "goodies" on it. I carried the Colt 1911 .45 model as a police officer and it was a big step to go to a handgun with no thumb safety. I carry my G30 "locked and cocked." The solution? An [about] $15.00 piece of adjustable polymer that fits between the rear of the trigger and the front of the rear trigger guard. This prevents the proverbial "accidential discharge" and gives me at least some comfort of control.

With practice (and you DO intend to practice, practice, practice don't you?) it pops out on the draw and takes no time away. The down side, it's small, so have a Range Buddy (hope you have one of those too) watch where it goes. Saves crawling around in the grass looking for it. For ammo, I use the Winchester Ranger SXT+P 230gr. JHP. As it's used by Law Enforcement, it's a good "defensible" ammo, meaning that, God forbid you have to shoot someone, they can't claim you are a maniac using "dum-dum" bullets. I admit I havent shot the ammo you bought. For practice, I use lead 230 gr. semi-wadcutters (makes nice round holes in paper) that are just about identical in recoil.

Finally, I find a lot of the "neater" holsters are for everything BUT the G30, but good ones are out there.

While I do love my G30, I've got my eyes on a Sig Sauer P220 Carry (in .45 ACP, of course) It's $$$ more than the Glock, but hey, one can never have too many firearms, especially in this day where the gun haters are in control.

Good luck with your G30.

Bob

In any adverse or life-threatening situation, a person's chances of survivability are INVERSELY proportional to their benefit to society.

Support the 2nd Amendment - There are those lurking about that wish to take it away.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retleo99 View Post
Congrats on your G30. I love mine, despite the fact that it's older and doesn't have the rail to mount "goodies" on it. I carried the Colt 1911 .45 model as a police officer and it was a big step to go to a handgun with no thumb safety. I carry my G30 "locked and cocked." The solution? An [about] $15.00 piece of adjustable polymer that fits between the rear of the trigger and the front of the rear trigger guard. This prevents the proverbial "accidential discharge" and gives me at least some comfort of control.

With practice (and you DO intend to practice, practice, practice don't you?) it pops out on the draw and takes no time away. The down side, it's small, so have a Range Buddy (hope you have one of those too) watch where it goes. Saves crawling around in the grass looking for it. For ammo, I use the Winchester Ranger SXT+P 230gr. JHP. As it's used by Law Enforcement, it's a good "defensible" ammo, meaning that, God forbid you have to shoot someone, they can't claim you are a maniac using "dum-dum" bullets. I admit I havent shot the ammo you bought. For practice, I use lead 230 gr. semi-wadcutters (makes nice round holes in paper) that are just about identical in recoil.

Finally, I find a lot of the "neater" holsters are for everything BUT the G30, but good ones are out there.

While I do love my G30, I've got my eyes on a Sig Sauer P220 Carry (in .45 ACP, of course) It's $$$ more than the Glock, but hey, one can never have too many firearms, especially in this day where the gun haters are in control.

Good luck with your G30.

Bob
its got the rail on it look closer

Wars begin where u will