Blackhawk Serpa Sportster holster!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Blackhawk Serpa Sportster holster!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Blackhawk Serpa Sportster holster!

Wanting to buy one but want to know what people think about them. It's either that or the fobus evolution roto paddle. I really like the look and the way the blackhawk works though. Any input would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I Love my serpa holster. The only thing I would say that is a minor negative is that it doesn't conceal as well as leather. They are very secure and facilitate lightning fast draws.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a fobus and i used a serpa level 3 duty holster whenever i was a LEO. I love the serpa holsters, the fobus arent bad holsters but the sepra has better retention.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Fobus are ok for range use. Not great but practical.

Serpas are well made.

One note about the Serpas is that IDPA has just banned their use in some regions for competition and FLETC just banned them from use in federal law enforcement training because of accidental discharges because when drawing the shooter has pressure on the release with his trigger finger. Once the gun is out the trigger finger can slip to the trigger.

I still think they are a decent holster. Other options are about there for retention boaters from safariland and Bladtech also makes some decent holsters as well if you are looking for good kydex.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm gonna skip my comments on people's stupidity (not doc) and just say that the release brings my finger directly to it's normal resting position on the side of the frame and well clear of the trigger.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I'm gonna skip my comments on people's stupidity (not doc) and just say that the release brings my finger directly to it's normal resting position on the side of the frame and well clear of the trigger.
I agree, i used a serpa for years, i pulled my firearm in high stress situations over 1,000 times through the years, and i never once had any problems.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #7

I've been around guns my whole life and was in the military. Accidental discharge is not a concern of mine even though my gun does not have a safety. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #8

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I find that my finger goes to the same place, just above the trigger guard. Some newbe law enforcement and military types in training have really handled guns very little and haven't made that stright trigger finger part of their learned grip. They see TV and Hollywood types charging into rooms withtheir fingers on the trigger and assume that that is the natural way to grip a pistol when not in active use on a target.

Heck, I was returning a steam cleaner that I rented to a shop and as I was pulling it by the handle I found myself with my finger indexed straight on the centerpost of the handle keeping it off the trigger.

Guess innocent and clean carpets were in no danger of an accidental discharge.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #9

That's hilarious. I catch myself doing it too when I play big buck hunter at the bar haha

Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Though they are marketed as a concealment holster, I agree that unless they are under heavy clothing, they don't conceal very well. For open carry or a range holster, their function is excellent.

I have Serpas for an XD-40 and an HK-40 USP Compact, and the fit is perfect, though as I said, the concealability is poor. Where I have really found good utility is for a Taurus Judge that I use as a snake gun, wearing it in the boat or on a tractor. With its excellent Level 2 retention I have no worries that the Judge will end up in the lake or under the bushhog, and it easily cleans up after an afternoon of sweat and dust after mowing.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation