Best way to store for Home Defense? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best way to store for Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2546 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedagoodername View Post

Anybody have any good Ideas/Tips about how you have yours out & ready but hid well? Maybe there's some kind of clever box out there I can buy or make? I'm thinking like asprin bottle here. So easy (& Fast) to open but atleast would keep a kid up to maybe the age of 4 or 5 out.
I, narg! CARRY IT WITH YOU!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #22

I, too holster handguns around the house. Call me paranoid, but a 380 in both left and right front pockets, plus open exposed carry of a full size gun on my waist.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #23

I wouldn't get a revolver for the untrained because they will more than likely miss most of their shots under stress. 5 shots just ain't enough for two or three intruders if you can't put them center mass. Just my opinion. I limp wrist test all semis with my carry ammo to make sure it functions properly, so I know my guns will work when I need them to.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This isn't meant to be a contrarian view, but I think perhaps the scenario of an intruder should be better thought out. You goal should be to keep an intruder out - not focus first on what to do if an intruder gets in. The more difficult and inconvenient it is for an intruder to get into your home, the more likey he will find an easier target.

First, invest in good locks and door blocks. They aren't terribly expensive. If someone can kick in your door with one kick, you need better door security. 80 percent of home burglaries are the result of going in through the front door. You can purchase an inexpensive door bar at any home depot.

Make sure your windows are secure. It takes more time for an intruder to go through a window, but that is an alternative if they can't kick in a door.

Consider an inexpensive security system that has glass break detection. Even if not a monitored system, it provides an alert for your family.

Have good security lighting around your home.

Get a dog that will cause a ruckus if an unknown person approaches.

Have a plan. Where does your family retreat to, or how do they exit the home in an emergency.

Find a good location in your home for a combination gun vault (gunvault.com) which can easily be opened in the dark. Locked in a gunvault your firearm is more secure from kids and possible theft.

You'll note I listed the firearm as the last item on the list. Basic security and prevention should come first. As the pros will tell you using your gun should be a last resort ( there are some good Clint Smith videos on basic home security that make this point.) Your goal should be to make the threat go away.....shoot only as a last resort, but be mentally prepared to do so if required.

If you have provided good basic security for your home you will have time to exit properly and obtain your firearm before the threat becomes imminent.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Metal springs weaken (eventually) through repeated flexing, not static compression.
Do you have documentation for that statement?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I teach my daughter the way I learned from my dad she's 5yo, and when the time comes Ill teach my youngest. Kids are facinated and some adults by the mysterious and untouchable. When I was 4 I began going hunting with my dad. I had a Daisy model 25 I was allowed to carry with supervision at times. When we got home I was allowed to clean his gun w/him if it was to cold for me to go we still cleaned his gun together(yes he checked empty) and mine. At 5 I was allowed to shoot with CLOSE supervision other firearms our freinds and family had that my dad gave a nod to think .22s,.410s . I saved up and bought my own .410 when I was 7 and really started to get into hunting. My longwinded statement comes down to this I knew were our guns were kept and the only thing between us was fear and atmophere. But having seen their destructive capabilities first hand and knowing my ol'man and the fact that I respected them both was enough to keep everyone safe. You can make your house like Fort Knox and to some scumbag that's going to tell him there must be something really good in there and they'll still find a way in . I'm not sayn don't take the trouble and I'm getn another dog soon but a gun is USELESS if its not in your hand when you and your family need it the most. Do whatever you want to discourage it can't hurt maybe it'll by you that time you need. Id rather have mine ready to roll.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My home defense guns are readily available with a round in the chamber, either decocked to double-action (P226) or hammer cocked & thumb safety on (BHP, CZ 75b).

The same applies to my home defense long guns. I don't get the folks who leave the chamber on a HD shotgun empty just so they can produce an intimidating pump-action racket. You know what? You can still do that with a round in the chamber if need be, and just eject a shell...but you might not have time for that little noise exhibition.

As always, YMMV. Everyone has different circumstances (ie- children) to factor into the equation.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #28

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Do you have documentation for that statement?
I don’t have documentation on this. I learned it from my father when I was a child.

He was a Maestro of metal and metal fabrication, from a L O N G line of smiths that went back 200 years in Sicily, and before that in Toledo Spain where the family made swords. In the Brooklyn Navy Yard they tested bulkhead doors by closing it in the frame and hitting it with a fire hose on one side (no x-rays in those days). If there was any hint of a leak on the other side, the door was put aside and they called my father. He would look at the leak, feel the metal, hit it a couple of times with one of his hammers, listen to it ring, feel it again. He would keep doing this over and over at various spots around the door. After a several hours it would seal like it was one piece of metal. Old school.

I found this on the web. It’s not exactly documentation but it’s sort of close:

Q & A: spring fatigue | Department of Physics | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Last edited by Vincine; 01-01-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasShooter
This isn't meant to be a contrarian view, but I think perhaps the scenario of an intruder should be better thought out. You goal should be to keep an intruder out - not focus first on what to do if an intruder gets in. The more difficult and inconvenient it is for an intruder to get into your home, the more likey he will find an easier target.

First, invest in good locks and door blocks. They aren't terribly expensive. If someone can kick in your door with one kick, you need better door security. 80 percent of home burglaries are the result of going in through the front door. You can purchase an inexpensive door bar at any home depot.

Make sure your windows are secure. It takes more time for an intruder to go through a window, but that is an alternative if they can't kick in a door.

Consider an inexpensive security system that has glass break detection. Even if not a monitored system, it provides an alert for your family.

Have good security lighting around your home.

Get a dog that will cause a ruckus if an unknown person approaches.

Have a plan. Where does your family retreat to, or how do they exit the home in an emergency.

Find a good location in your home for a combination gun vault (gunvault.com) which can easily be opened in the dark. Locked in a gunvault your firearm is more secure from kids and possible theft.

You'll note I listed the firearm as the last item on the list. Basic security and prevention should come first. As the pros will tell you using your gun should be a last resort ( there are some good Clint Smith videos on basic home security that make this point.) Your goal should be to make the threat go away.....shoot only as a last resort, but be mentally prepared to do so if required.

If you have provided good basic security for your home you will have time to exit properly and obtain your firearm before the threat becomes imminent.
That's not what he asked though. We all know that.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Perhaps my point was misunderstood. I prefer to concentrate on basic home security to buy time to access a handgun LOCKED in a readily accessible location rather than have a cocked and loaded handgun unlocked in every other room in the house. This is what I find the best solution for ME since I know that I can access my firearm in a ready state within 30 seconds from the farthest location in my home. I frequently have children around the house and this is the only acceptable solution for me. If you don't have children or their friends wandering around your home, other options could be appropriate. (you can teach YOUR children to appreciate firearms, but you may have no idea what their friends will do.)