Best way to store for Home Defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best way to store for Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have my LC9 in a combination safe. Four buttons on top. You set the combo. Easy to open in the dark!

Ruger SP101 LC9 Mark III
Kahr P380

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #12

Well I guess I do agree with everyone of you. Those are all the points I've had bouncing around in my head.

I grew up around guns and hunting so a rifle or shotgun feels natural to me. I'm taking the wife & my girls out and I'm going to take it slow and make sure we all feel comfortable with this pistol. My range is the back yard. I'm going to make sure they all know as much as possible about it.
I was even planning to put the wife through the drills of unlocking the gun rack in the dark! I do agree that under stress it all may be a waste of time. I'm pretty far from a perfect plan here.

After some training with the SR9 I'll trust MY family just fine. We just have some wild youngsters in the family that stop in times and I do not trust them.

I know my wife's not going to wear it so I guess I would change the plan if I can figure out a very good but easy to get to hiding spot back in our bedroom. If someone knocked in the front or back door ,running to our bedroom makes sence because it's the furthest point away.

Again I work evenings & nights. 5-6pm till anywhere from midnight till 6am so that's some bad hours to be leaving the family alone. I got this gun for them so I'm just trying to work out the smartest plan here.

I don't know, I may even end up going back to our old plan which was a unloaded singleshot 12ga in the gun rack and 3 shells in the dress next to it. I have an elastic strip stapled to hold 3 shells in top draw, but up Underneath the top of the dresser if that makes sence? pretty well hid but easy to grab fast.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #13

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Accessibility to a firearm is a serious decision that each person has to make on their own. With children in the house, if you make the wrong decision the consequences could be catastrophic.

From the time my children were 10 years old or there abouts, they knew that there was always a loaded shotgun beside my bed. They knew it was there, they knew it would kill and they knew to stay the hell away from it. Actually, my bedroom has always been, more or less, off-limits to my kids. They respected that, and as adults, they still do. My daughter never took an interest in firearms, but by 12 years old, my son was reasonably proficient in handling firearms. My boy was mature enough to not "need" to play with guns. Many times I would send him to the house to fetch a gun for me. It worked out well, he will be thirty this year and damn if he aint shot himself or anyone else yet.

I live in an area where policing is so thin, that all the cops do is supervise the cleaning up of someone's mess. It is not the cops fault, the county I live in is dirt poor and can't afford more cops. Because it is poor, it also has one of the highest crime rates in the state. I know that I, and my wife, are responsible for our own defence. Unloaded, or locked guns are not a part of my security system.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedagoodername View Post
I may even end up going back to our old plan which was a unloaded singleshot 12ga in the gun rack and 3 shells in the dress next to it. I have an elastic strip stapled to hold 3 shells in top draw, but up Underneath the top of the dresser if that makes sence? pretty well hid but easy to grab fast.
Respectfully.... try this:

You on the couch watching TV, your wife and one daughter standing outside the unlocked front door. (time to open the unlocked door approximates time to kick the door in)

Have your other daughter holler go... you run for the shotgun, load it (WITH DUMMY SHELLS) while your wife and daughter run for you.... see who gets where, first.....

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #15

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedagoodername View Post
HOW SHOULD I HAVE THIS GUN READY?
I'm not sure. I don't want to leave it cocked ready for months at a time if it's hard on the gun.
Metal springs weaken (eventually) through repeated flexing, not static compression. Your ability will likely degrade before the springs will. May I suggest short monthly skill maintenance, after some degree of proficiency has been obtained? You have a backyard range.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-30-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

First: get a dog! He/she is always ready.
Second: get a revolver. With all the things that can possibly go wrong with a semi-auto ( failure to fire, jams...) putting one in the hands of an inexperienced, frightened person is a recipe for disaster.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #17

Well I've got some thinking to do is all I can say right now.

Anybody have any good Ideas/Tips about how you have yours out & ready but hid well? Maybe there's some kind of clever box out there I can buy or make? I'm thinking like asprin bottle here. So easy (& Fast) to open but atleast would keep a kid up to maybe the age of 4 or 5 out.

I just got this SR9 this week. Hopefully I'll get a chance before dark today to fire a few rounds. I'd hate to wait till next year!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasam67 View Post
I have my LC9 in a combination safe. Four buttons on top. You set the combo. Easy to open in the dark!
Do you have a link to that box? I'll check it out. Thanks

Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Gunvault.com

Old 12-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

When it comes to home defense, and especially during the night hours,
I couldn't for the life of me lock up my firearms or not have one ready in
its chamber. In a life and death situation seconds are all you got.