Best way to store for Home Defense? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best way to store for Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 174 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Well, OP, had you considered just

leaving your wife and daughter with a can of hairspray?

Final Net Extra Hold works well for this. Better than mace,

it glues the BG's eyes shut. This should give your wife and daughters

a considerable tactical advantage.

IMO, if your wife refuses to carry in the home, maybe she's

trying to tell you something, and you're not paying attention.

She appears, on the surface, to be a lot

less worried about than you are...
I agree, lots of women don't want to deal with guns.

If she/they (wife/daughters) aren't interested, then they are not interested. And then home defense will simply be up to you.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman1911 View Post
Drop that revolver in the mud, along with an automatic. Pick both up and see which one works
That is also my favorite reason for having a revolver in the woods.

But around the house it is not relevant, although it is true and relevant that a revolver is unlikely to jam compared with a semi-auto, which may possibly jam.

The main advantage of the semi-auto's is that they are more easily concealed. Revolvers are more difficult to conceal due to the size of the cylinder.

It boils down now to, if you have only one gun and you CCW, then a semi-auto is your best gun.

If you have only one gun and you do not CCW, then a revolver is your best gun.

If you can have 2 guns, then get both.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #103

When I made my comment about dropping the semi and the revolver in the mud, I was saying that the revolver would jam before the semi because once I dropped my 442 in the mud, and it filled up the locking recesses in the cylinder and it would not shoot until I cleaned them out good.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #104

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
This looks like a little shoebox-sized metal box that you screw to the baseboards or bedstead somewhere in your house.

It would be quite easy to rip this out of the wall or bedstead with a crowbar, so I would not consider it very safe. It would only accomplish keeping little hands off your handgun, is all. So it only protects your gun from your kids.

If you want a real safe, you need to buy a small one at an office supplies store, or a real gunsafe for long guns at a gun safe store or sporting goods.
As I have pointed out earlier in the thread I have a Cannon " American Eagle" to keep my guns safe but I have 6 Winchester eVaults to keep my family safe!

I don't haul Gravel in the trunk of my car and I don't go grocery shopping in my Tri axel dump truck.

Every tool has its place. It takes me a lot longer to get a pistol out of my big safe ( and it is in one place ) than to get one from an eVault and my firearms are safe from grand children and un-authorised adults!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #105

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
This looks like a little shoebox-sized metal box that you screw to the baseboards or bedstead somewhere in your house.

It would be quite easy to rip this out of the wall or bedstead with a crowbar, so I would not consider it very safe. It would only accomplish keeping little hands off your handgun, is all. So it only protects your gun from your kids.

If you want a real safe, you need to buy a small one at an office supplies store, or a real gunsafe for long guns at a gun safe store or sporting goods.
Well, it's certainly not perfect but what is? It is made of 3/16 plate steel (7GA) and weighs 21 lbs. Many "gun safes" are made from thinner steel. It can be recessed if you like or use concrete anchors to attach to the floor next to your bed if you want. You can use your own common sense on what will work best for you. The OP stated that he wanted something like this for a HD weapon and really all you are doing is trying to buy a little time with any of the ways we secure our guns.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #106

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Quote:
That is also my favorite reason for having a revolver in the woods.
That's funny, 1911s are famous for being dropped in the mud, and still

being able to fire.

Just wait till a stick or piece of brush gets jammed into that "ultra-reliable"

revolver cylinder in the woods.

Automatics have taken a quantum leap in dependability in the last 30

years or so, in case you hadn't noticed, and while revolvers may

still hold a narrow edge, recoil is a drawback which has kept me

on the semi-auto side of the fence.

A common crucible we'll all have to face, if we stay in the game long

enough, is that the gun will sometimes go "click"(or worse) when

it's supposed to go bang.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #107

Yeah I'm the one who mentioned the wall pictures. check out these 2 web sites, sounds like you might be handy with a tool as I am, I used these ideas to make a couple of hides in my house. Each one took a little planning about 2 hours work and less than $20.00 a piece to build. Good luck with it.

In-wall safes / hidden gun safes by InvisiVault®

Large Hide - A - Gun Picture Frame, Dark Oak Finish, Shooting Supplies, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

and don't let the snide remarks get to you. Not all the answers are helpful or even warranted, but if you can find one that works for you out of all the responses then it was a worth while endeavor. and if you build these yourself the latches are the most important part of it, I found using a couple of very strong magnetic catches on each one works best, I had one frame fall off the wall with a pistol in it and it never opened, but if you know whats behind it a sharp pull will open it up every time. I did build one "in the wall shelf", and covered it with a hand tool rack like you mentioned, in my garage, but I have to admit I like the picture frame ones better they are, at least to some degree moveable, if need be ie: as My kids got older I could adjusted height, placement etc...

Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman50 View Post
Yeah I'm the one who mentioned the wall pictures. check out these 2 web sites, sounds like you might be handy with a tool as I am, I used these ideas to make a couple of hides in my house. Each one took a little planning about 2 hours work and less than $20.00 a piece to build. Good luck with it.

In-wall safes / hidden gun safes by InvisiVault®

Large Hide - A - Gun Picture Frame, Dark Oak Finish, Shooting Supplies, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

and don't let the snide remarks get to you. Not all the answers are helpful or even warranted, but if you can find one that works for you out of all the responses then it was a worth while endeavor. and if you build these yourself the latches are the most important part of it, I found using a couple of very strong magnetic catches on each one works best, I had one frame fall off the wall with a pistol in it and it never opened, but if you know whats behind it a sharp pull will open it up every time. I did build one "in the wall shelf", and covered it with a hand tool rack like you mentioned, in my garage, but I have to admit I like the picture frame ones better they are, at least to some degree moveable, if need be ie: as My kids got older I could adjusted height, placement etc...
Thanks very much. I'm pretty certain I'm going to be doing the samething. Good idea!

I'll probably build something myself also, after stealing some ideas from those sites.

Oh & yeah, I think alot of people skim post for something to disagree with. Somehow now they've got me as a guy who's trying to force my wife to carry a gun & giving me marriage advice.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #109

Here are a few more concepts from The Sportsmans Guide.
Concealment Books, Shooting Accessories, Ps Products, Concealment Book Books Hiding Hide Hideaway Secret Compartment at Sportsman's Guide
Guide Gear Hexagon Hide - A - Gun Clock, Dark Oak, Shooting Accessories, Guide Gear, Guide Gear Hexagon Hide-A-Gun Clock Dark Oak Solid Wood Frame Sweep Second Hand at Sportsman's Guide
Hide - A - Gun Table Clock, Shooting Accessories, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
That's funny, 1911s are famous for being dropped in the mud, and still

being able to fire.

Just wait till a stick or piece of brush gets jammed into that "ultra-reliable"

revolver cylinder in the woods.

Automatics have taken a quantum leap in dependability in the last 30

years or so, in case you hadn't noticed, and while revolvers may

still hold a narrow edge, recoil is a drawback which has kept me

on the semi-auto side of the fence.

A common crucible we'll all have to face, if we stay in the game long

enough, is that the gun will sometimes go "click"(or worse) when

it's supposed to go bang.
Recoil is a major issue, sure, I would grant you that.

Recoil is only an issue if there are more than one of them, and there is only one of you, and the target is not a bear in the woods.

With a bear in the woods, you have no choice. You must deal with the recoil.

Against multiple targets, I know the DOD believes that the 9mm semi-auto is superior. Plus as usual a higher magazine capacity as well.

Against one human target, a .45 ACP or a 9mm is fine, either way, CCW or not.