Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Best way to store for Home Defense? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-way-store-home-defense-54387/)

ineedagoodername 12-30-2011 08:40 AM

Best way to store for Home Defense?

I just got a Ruger SR9. I plan to keep it locked up in a lower shelf of a sturdy gun rack I made that hangs on our bedroom wall. It's a key lock and the key is fairly well hid but easy to grab nearby.

I'm going to do my best to get my wife and teenage daughters to understand and feel good with this gun. I work nights and think it's time with all the pill/ meth zombies around here.

HOW SHOULD I HAVE THIS GUN READY?
I'm not sure. I don't want to leave it cocked ready for months at a time if it's hard on the gun.

HOW do you store ,but have ready a semi? I want to make it simple and as fast as possible for my wife. She will already have to unlock the gun rack so I am worried about time.

I guess I'm asking: Will it be bad for the gun to store it cocked and ready except the thumb safety to store?

THANKS

Jay 12-30-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineedagoodername (Post 662713)
I'm not sure. I don't want to leave it cocked ready for months at a time if it's hard on the gun.

HOW do you store ,but have ready a semi? I want to make it simple and as fast as possible for my wife. She will already have to unlock the gun rack so I am worried about time.

I guess I'm asking: Will it be bad for the gun to store it cocked and ready except the thumb safety to store?

THANKS

To put this one to rest, you have to understand creep. Creep is the slow flow of a non-ferric metal like copper, brass and lead under force. At temperatures outside of a furnace, steel doesn't have any appreciable creep. Under most conditions, steel flexes and then returns to its original shape. When pushed past its elastic limit, steel will bend and not return to its original shape. All designers of well-made magazines make sure the spring never approaches the elastic limit when the magazine is fully loaded. Honest. This means the spring will not weaken when the magazine is fully loaded -- not even over an extended time. Like 50 years. American Handgunner recently ran a story about a magazine full of .45 ACP that had been sitting since WWII and it ran just fine on the first try. So there you go.

This applies to springs in general.

Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles

To "store" a home defense weapon at all is putting yourself in the position of having an intruder wait until you get the gun to complete his assault. I got $5 that says if your wife is washing dishes, and some guy kicks in the front door, he's gonna be between your wife and your gun. Then what? If you feel the need to own a firearm for protection, then it needs to be on you unless you're sleeping, then it needs to be within arms reach. If there's kids involved, educate 'em, but provide for instant access if the gun is needed.

ineedagoodername 12-30-2011 09:46 AM

Ok. well any info about springs/ mags is is very helpful. Thanks very much.
Right now It's just me ,my wife & 19 & 16 year old girls so you are right!!!

What I am thinking though is kinda in the future. I'm sure to have some grandkids running around here someday(I hope atleast 5years!) so I just could not have a gun loose anywhere.

I also sometimes have relatives here (kids) so I just can't let the wife keep it under her pillow! If I trusted my wife 100% to lock it up every morning I'd say ok, but who really dose trust their wife with a gun??:o

Jay 12-30-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineedagoodername (Post 662722)
Ok. well any info about springs/ mags is is very helpful. Thanks very much.
Right now It's just me ,my wife & 19 & 16 year old girls so you are right!!!

What I am thinking though is kinda in the future. I'm sure to have some grandkids running around here someday(I hope atleast 5years!) so I just could not have a gun loose anywhere.

I also sometimes have relatives here (kids) so I just can't let the wife keep it under her pillow! If I trusted my wife 100% to lock it up every morning I'd say ok, but who really dose trust their wife with a gun??:o

As a family, take a personal protection class. All of you will benefit.

Any place you keep a personal protection firearm locked up, also denies you instant access in an emergency. That's your call. We have grand kids from 8 yrs old to 15 years old. All the guns except the two being carried , are locked up. All of the kids have been educated, and pose us no concerns of them accessing the guns, unsupervised.

No disrespect, but nobody that you can't trust 100% with firearms, should have unsupervised access to them.

JohnJak 12-30-2011 12:52 PM

Carry on your person and the worry will be over. If your worried that your family will not have access to it send them for some training.

partdeux 12-30-2011 01:02 PM

All really good points. Take the kids to a gun safety class, let them shoot. If my gun is not on me, it's loaded and sitting right next to me. My firearm gets locked in the safe when I leave, my wife has one or two of her own that are out. Remember, an unloaded firearm is an awkward rock. Be smart about who's in the house. Keep in mind teenagers are stupid in nature, and will do really stupid things. It's a tough age for them... and tougher for their parents.

Sniper03 12-30-2011 01:35 PM

To leave the pistol without a round in the chamber is as good as committing suicide if an intruder kicks the door in as Jay explained. Keeping it locked up is the same. Education of the family is what you must do. And also be aware of the presence of visitors and family safety when they come to visit. If you are having a family Christmas Dinner with a lot of little bread crunchers and guests in the house you should use added precaution by placing the piece somewhere concealed and out of reach. Another issue to consider for you and the family, is that in critical situation fine motor skills like using your hands and fingers to perform a function like unlocking a lock or pulling the slide back just doesn't work! There is a good chance they will not be able to pull the slide back or will forget to pull the slide back. From experience Old Murphy is alive and well! :rolleyes:
Maybe in the future you can get another weapon so you have one accessible in another area of the house so the attacker would never be between you or your family's defense weapon. You would always have one direction to go obtain one.
For example besides a pistol I have a Double Barrel Hammer Shotgun hanging over the mantel should someone late one night when I am in my PJs sipping my Gentleman Jack and watching TV kick a door in. Some may think that we giving this advise are paranoid! But in the times we live it is simple! We are not at all paranoid we are prepared! You must be prepared and train yourself and your family ahead of time should something like that happen. There are only two possible results to this issue. YOU and FAMILY ARE SURVIVORS or YOU and THE FAMILY ARE VICTIMS and hopefully not a STATISTIC! Take them shooting so they become very familiar with the operation, function and gain proficiency and so it becomes second nature. One or two time to the range will not accomplish this. You are developing muscle memory which will help all to survive if the worst should ever happen.
SORRY FORGOT SOMETHING! When you go to the Range always wear safety glasses and ear protection muffs! The bone around your ears can absorb sound. So muffs are recommended and especialy for new shooters!

JonM 12-30-2011 03:23 PM

Training is the key. If you dont trust your wife why did ya marry her?? ;)

Anyway if we have friends with kids over guns get locked up or unloaded except the one i carry the wife doesnt like carrying one. My wife has a 9mm and ar15 out i just unload those. My policy is if someone comes to visit that then complains i got my gun on my belt around their kids they can go some visit someone else...

WilliamTF 12-30-2011 03:30 PM

Other than some scraps and altercations most when I was younger the only things that I can think that might compare are (don't know if your a hunter) bowhunting , when a nice buck walks in on you instantly your heartrate skyrockets you begin to tremble slightly you have to conciously measure your breathing. And the months of practice prior pay off if everything goes right . Or if you've ever played sports and its up to you to make a decisive play. Those are moments when pride and bragging rights are on the line. I can't imagine if my families LIFE were on the line , I wouldn't have the ability let alone maybe the time for anything but pick up maybe switch to fire and pull the trigger. I was broken in with a healthy respect for firearms to say the least and that's how I'm raising my family. Something to maybe consider

therewolf 12-30-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJak (Post 662775)
Carry on your person and the worry will be over. If your worried that your family will not have access to it send them for some training.

Yeah, yanno, kids have a magical knack for

finding loaded guns, for one thing.

If it's carried, it's always available, be it

in the john, backyard, whatever.