Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   best sub compact? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-sub-compact-54212/)

tbruins37 12-27-2011 04:24 AM

best sub compact?

My old lady really wants a sub. I've never been to keen to them, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. She did say she wants a 9mm.

fatmidgets 12-27-2011 04:27 AM

Glock 26. They're easy to operate, and will eat any kind of bullets.

JTJ 12-27-2011 04:41 AM

My wife likes her Ruger SR9c. It fits her small hands better than the Glocks. About 28 oz loaded with the 10 rnd mag +1. It has a thumb safety in addition to the trigger safety and I think a better trigger.

sweeper22 12-27-2011 04:44 AM

The Glock 26 is a fine gun, as are other subcompacts like the XD9sc...just so long as the fatty grip isn't a problem. Ruger's SR9c is a slimmer double-stack option, and their micro LC9 has received mostly good reviews so far. But probably the best place to start if she wants something tiny, yet shootable, would be Kahr. They offer a number of different subcompact single stacks that tend to handle a little better than most micros. Check out the Kahr CM9 and CW9.

Also- If she wants to carry it in her purse, a revolver would be strongly advised.

ScottA 12-27-2011 04:53 AM

Can we really call any double stack as a sub-compact?

Pasquanel 12-27-2011 05:03 AM

Ruger LC9 7+1 light and accurate.

Balota 12-27-2011 05:18 AM

For what it's worth, I've been trying out an XD 9mm w/ 3.1 inch barrel for a few months (nice rental agreement towards purchase of new gun). Comes with two magazines. One is pretty short for minimum CCW size (13+1). The other has a butt extension that adds 4 more rounds (17+1). Grip is not very fat even with all those rounds in it.

They also have an XD(M) version w/ 3.8 inch barrel and similar magazines. The long one actually holds 19 (+1). The XD(M) comes with changeable grip pads to help fit the handle to the hand.

I'll probably go with the XD(M) version. Hope to pick mine up this week.

tbruins37 12-27-2011 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balota
For what it's worth, I've been trying out an XD 9mm w/ 3.1 inch barrel for a few months (nice rental agreement towards purchase of new gun). Comes with two magazines. One is pretty short for minimum CCW size (13+1). The other has a butt extension that adds 4 more rounds (17+1). Grip is not very fat even with all those rounds in it.

They also have an XD(M) version w/ 3.8 inch barrel and similar magazines. The long one actually holds 19 (+1). The XD(M) comes with changeable grip pads to help fit the handle to the hand.

I'll probably go with the XD(M) version. Hope to pick mine up this week.

Haha rental agreement? I've never heard of that. Didn't know that was possible.

trip286 12-27-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbruins37

Haha rental agreement? I've never heard of that. Didn't know that was possible.

Its all on the gun store or range owner. I've heard of it, sometimes a certain percentage of your rental fee can go to the price of a new gun, if the seller is willing and you arrange it with them.

Balota 12-27-2011 12:54 PM

Tulsa Firearms rental agreement is pretty simple. 100% of rental fees (within the past year) apply directly to purchase of a weapon. Not a special buddy deal, it's standard procedure for this range. They have a good selection of rentals. I've tried guns from .22 to .45, revolvers and semi-autos. Been shooting about weekly since mid July. Makes a pretty nice discount. I'm getting my first gun, an XD(M) 9mm w/ 3.8" barrel on Wednesday.