Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > best small .22 pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best small .22 pistol

Any opinions on what the best small .22 pistol is? I looked at a beretta but I do not like the design with the tip up barrel and difficult slide. Phoenix Arms makes a small pistol that looks good but is so cheap it make me wonder about the quality.

I have a Walther P22 which is fun to plink with but I would like something smaller.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #2

I have and can recommend a Browning Buckmark.
I find it very accurate and especially easy to clean.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I found a post on another forum site with someone talking about their experience with the Phoenix Arms.Here is their post:

I love mouse guns. I just picked up a nickel-finished Phoenix Arms HP22A with extra barrel, extra mag, cleaning kit and hard case for $90. It is in 90% condition and appears to have been cleaned very little and carried alot. The gun is 5 years old and has normal wear. This one comes with a 3" and a 5" barrel. I do not like the looks of the 5 incher, so I took it off and shot it with the 3 inch.

I tested this gun as I had recieved it.....dirty and un-lubricated. I shot 100rds of CCI MiniMag RN during the tests. This is what I found:

First off, I do not like the odd safety mechanisms on it. You must have the slide locked back to remove or insert a magazine (I later defeated that PITA feature when I got home). The slide lock can also be slid up as a safety when the slide is closed. It has a second lever up by the rear sight that is a firing pin block. Strange. First pistol I have had my mits on that had two individual safety levers.

As for shooting, the sights have something to be desired though I found it surprising that this little inexpensive pocket pistol has an adjustable rear sight (windage only). Once the sights are lined up I began a slow, steady pull the the rear and found alot of takeup followed by alot of creep which ended in a surprisingly crisp release. I continued shooting until the 10 rounds were spent only to find that the slide does not lock back when the magazine is empty. At a distance of 10 feet, this little gun put all 10 rounds in one ragged hole about the size of a dime. I have not tried it off of a bench, but I'm very pleased with the free-hand result!

How many failure to feeds, failure to fire or failure to extracts out of 100 shots? ZERO. It functioned smoothly as advertised every time.

Over all I cannot complain. It is, after all, a cheap gun but it does have some pleasant surprises....the main ones being reliability and accuracy.

I know when most people see "Phoenix Arms", they think "Raven". Wrong. This little jewel is far from it. The only things shared between the Raven and the HP22A is the name "Phoenix Arms" stamped on them. If you want a decent .22 pocket auto and don't want to drop much cash, get one.....you'll be surprised.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are so many good choices:
Ruger Mark I, II, or III
Sig. Mosquito
Browning Buckmark
Walther P22

You can't go wrong with any of the above.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

I have shot the Phoenix 22's & their immediate " cousins." Shot every time & had little trouble, even though , as you said,, it is cheap. Some states, do not all their sales, due to their quality steel.
These are no longer made, so a little expensive, but will never lose any value.

http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=6830

Last edited by Esteban; 01-16-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
Any opinions on what the best small .22 pistol is? I looked at a beretta but I do not like the design with the tip up barrel and difficult slide. Phoenix Arms makes a small pistol that looks good but is so cheap it make me wonder about the quality.

I have a Walther P22 which is fun to plink with but I would like something smaller.
The Beretta slide never needs to be operated! That is what the tip-up barrel is for. Just insert a loaded magazine, then drop a round in the barrel and close it.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Try to find a Walther TPH.

They are uber slim, available in Stainless, accurate and reliable. I have one and love it. Bought one in the 80's and ended up selling it, which was a mistake. Finally replaced it about 4 or 5 years ago and have no intentions of ever letting this one go.

I'll post a pic later so you can see the size.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #8

Likes Given: 1

The Beretta 21A is tops in its class IMO. But if I could find a good TPH, I'd snatch it up!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
There are so many good choices:
Ruger Mark I, II, or III
Sig. Mosquito
Browning Buckmark
Walther P22

You can't go wrong with any of the above.
I'll second that...

Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

How small you want to go? This is a good Small .22

naa_22lr.jpg