Best self defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best self defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best self defense ammo

I need some suggestions for a self defense round in 9mm, I've been keeping Federal FMJ's in my clip and I know FMJ is not ideal for self defense purposes

What kind of Self Defense ammunition do you guys carry? or would you suggest?

I need some good knockdown power

Last edited by indyfan; 12-22-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

No handgun has real "knockdown" power. Any quality round made for self-defense will serve. While I don't carry a 9mm most of the folks I know that do carry it with 147gr +P JHPs...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #3

Nothing wrong with FMJ for self defense. Military uses that. Good hollow points are beneficial, just find some that feed well in your weapon. Heavier is ususally better, 147grain over 115 or 124, but whatever feeds reliable out of your weapon.

Look at federal, Speer, Winchester, and remington.

Think you will find what you need. I use Ferderal Hydra shok for my 9mm, in the 147gr version. Thats just me.

Stay Safe,

Chris

Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm presently carrying 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense with a spare mag of 124gr +P Corbon. Shot up the 147 gr +p JHP. The Critical Defense claims to offer plug protection when shooting through heavy clothing, ensuring fuller expansion.
Either way, I'm shooting for the mouth.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

124+ grain JHP. Anything beyond that boils down to your own personal preference.

Some people are really high on the 147gr variety, others prefer the faster 125gr stuff. The research I've seen tends to imply that the 125gr bullets are more effective, but the 147s have really improved in recent years. Either should suffice.

I've gone with 127gr Winchester Rangers in my 9mm. Speer Gold Dot, Fed Hydrashok, Rem Golden Sabres, just about anything from Hornady or Corbon...there's plenty to choose from. Double Tap also makes some really hot loads in a variety of weights. Find what you like best.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #6

I sense a caliber debate coming on...

Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr203 View Post
Nothing wrong with FMJ for self defense. Military uses that. Good hollow points are beneficial, just find some that feed well in your weapon. Heavier is ususally better, 147grain over 115 or 124, but whatever feeds reliable out of your weapon.

Look at federal, Speer, Winchester, and remington.

Think you will find what you need. I use Ferderal Hydra shok for my 9mm, in the 147gr version. Thats just me.

Stay Safe,

Chris
Wouldn't want to use FMJ in close quarters. Don't know the OP's living environment. FMJ not a good idea if in an apartment....or in a house with occupants in other rooms. Just my .02

Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My girl carries a 9mm, in a 4.25" 1911. It's her choice, but I bought both the 124gr +P, the 135grain and the 147gr all hollowpoints.

The only ammo I will carry is Winchester Ranger, and that is what I have bought.

Yes, I am aware that is a LEO only ammo. Yes, I am aware there are other ammo brands that have similiar or even better claimed performance.

However I have been carrying and shooting this ammo for a few years now and I have NEVER had one single issue with the ammo. I truly believe it is capable of doing what needs to be done should the trigger need to be pulled.

All that aside, I do not believe the 9mm round is the best overall carry choice. For my gal, it's a round she is very comfortable and capable with, and that goes a long ways, so it's a balancing act.

JD

Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #9

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Federal Premium Hydra-Shok is what I use right now,but I do want to go up to a +P next time I get ammo.What gun do you have?

dscf6598.jpg  

Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The differences between the numbers are small when you get into the performance of the high dollar defense loads. Load X might cause a bigger wound channel, but Load Y has better weight retention, and Load Z might penetrate deeper. Then there are the issues of velocity and accuracy. For some people there is even the question of how does the round "look".
Personally I don't have any problems with FMJ as a defense round, if, and it's a big IF, you can put two-three rounds into the target as fast as you can say "bang-bang-bang". It may sound silly, but it will work. Two in the heart and one in the head, or zip 'em up, either will work. The hollow points give you a little bigger margin for victory, but speed and shot placement will usually serve you best.
All that said, my carry ammo is Gold Dot's.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Tags
self defense ammo