Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Best plinker (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-plinker-98812/)

ZachRome 10-15-2013 05:29 AM

Best plinker
 
What's the best all around semi auto full size plinker. Besides 22 and 9mm

nitestalker 10-15-2013 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well you have ruled out the little stuff. How about this?:D

JW357 10-15-2013 06:18 AM

I assume you want a caliber since you ruled out specific calibers and not specific firearms.

So I guess "best" is pretty subjective. I evaluate best for plinking as cheapest. But you've eliminated the cheapest ones.

So I suppose 38 Special?

No wait. You said semi-auto. Then I suppose .45 ACP.....

JW357 10-15-2013 06:20 AM

But you also specifically ask for a gun it seems like. Hell I don't know. This question makes no sense.

Just buy a 1911 and call it a day.

ZachRome 10-16-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357
But you also specifically ask for a gun it seems like. Hell I don't know. This question makes no sense.

Just buy a 1911 and call it a day.

Well the problem is I want a full size plinker but I know if I just say I want something to plink with every single person that has an account would tell me to get either a 22 or a 9 and I already have them both

JW357 10-16-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachRome
Well the problem is I want a full size plinker but I know if I just say I want something to plink with every single person that has an account would tell me to get either a 22 or a 9 and I already have them both

There's no problem, I'm just confused if you're looking for recommendations for a specific gun or for a caliber.

ZachRome 10-16-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357

There's no problem, I'm just confused if you're looking for recommendations for a specific gun or for a caliber.

Anything works haha whatever your willing to give

JW357 10-16-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachRome
Anything works haha whatever your willing to give

Do you reload? If so, the skys the limit. Any caliber is good for plinking.

Otherwise, if you're going for cost efficiency, I suppose the .40 S&W is cheaper ordinarily than the .45 ACP. I don't particularly care for the snappy recoil of a .40, but I've also only shot it in a compact sized gun. A larger framed gun would diminish some of that felt recoil.

I've never actually had the pleasure of shooting a 1911 but I've heard their fun factor can hardly be beat, and I prefer the recoil of a .45 over a .40.

In terms of platform (already mentioned the 1911), I like the S&W M&P series a lot. They fit my hand perfectly, and they're a joy to shoot.

Or you could go the opposite direction in terms of caliber and go with the .17 HMR. I've never shot one, but I've heard good things. Couldn't begin to tell you how expensive the ammo is, as I have no idea.

Hope this was somewhat of a help.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.