Which is the best handgun maker? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Which is the best handgun maker?

View Poll Results: Best Handgun Maker
HK 5 29.41%
Glock 6 35.29%
Springfield 3 17.65%
Smith & Wesson 2 11.76%
Colt 3 17.65%
Sig 2 11.76%
Taurus 1 5.88%
CZ 5 29.41%
Beretta 1 5.88%
Ruger 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I don't like tupperware. So Glocks are right out. I've always had good luck with Taurus. Besides, I just don't like the idea of having to pull the trigger to take something apart.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Service

I live close enough to the Glock plant here in Georgia that I can take my guns in for service when needed. You walk in the front door, a nice lady calls a service man up, you give him the gun and he goes and fixes it. You can wait, or go over to Wendys and eat while he fixs/inspects/updates your gun. Never had a charge for anything (I've had sights changed, used ones inspected and wore parts replaced).
I've retured a S&W for warranty work. S&W had Fed Ex pick it up and return it - no cost either way - turn around on the gun was less than a week.
On a Sig Pro I had the rear sight inserts fall out. Sig made me ship it back my expense UPS Next Day Air ($55). Three week turnaround, Sig paid for return.
I am waiting on warranty parts from Springfield Armory right now - 2 months waiting. There is a pin in the rear adustable sight that the sight pivots up and down on. On mine that pins works out sideways when firing. Springfield is sending me a new pin, they told me so, they even sent me a letter saying so, but no pin yet. I fixed the pin myself - but the point is I shouldn't have to and Springfield should get a new pin out to me.
All guns mentioned were bought new by me -except some used Glocks that I've had inspected.
Best service award goes to Glock - 60 miles down the road.
Best non hometown service - Smith & Wesson.
Best international service - Astra (bet you didn't see that one coming!
John Q.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #13

a persons prefferances are very important to them it's what feels good and what you decide the gun is for ,that b eing said ,if each manufacturer were giving away 1 free handguns to 1000 people and anyone of us were 1 of the thousand you all know that 90% of recipients would pick a sig. the best all around hg for the range and for the nightstand is the p220. i have a p220 elite stainless that is the best all around/accurate ootb gun i ever bought. a p250 also takes my choice out of my 9's. the 220 has less mag cap but it makes up for it in controlability and accuracy. maybe i should'nt assume for the populas. i pick the p220 series. glock comes in a distant 2nd place to me. keep in mind that people are going to pick what they have / are used to / can afford.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker60A3 View Post
I live close enough to the Glock plant here in Georgia that I can take my guns in for service when needed.
John Q.
see now.... this knocks glock out of the running....if it were the best it would not need to be took in for servicing

Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default S&W

I vote S&W. I have never been less than impressed with their service even after 40 years of gun wrangling.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMHO, there are too many variables involved to establish which manufacturer is "best". Not to mention a lot of personal opinion.

I'm partial to production 1911's, so I'd have to go with Kimber.

It's virtually impossible to determine which is "best", without first establishing some basic criteria by which we plan to judge the different companies.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #17

I'm planning to purchase my first handgun. I am considering a Beretta Px4 Storm and a Sig P226. I would consider any and all suggestions as to brand and caliber for a home defense scenario. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot! View Post
Over the years I have uesd many handguns, but I have come to decide that HK ranks at the very top. Would like to know your opinion.
You are right OneShot h&k can't be beat they are at the top of the list anyone who said gook don't have a clue

Sigs are pretty damn good too
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1956 View Post
I'm planning to purchase my first handgun. I am considering a Beretta Px4 Storm and a Sig P226. I would consider any and all suggestions as to brand and caliber for a home defense scenario. Thank you in advance.
i just got a sig p226 last month for my birthday. ive put about 1000 rounds through it since getting it, and i love it. havent had any feed problems, whenever i pull the trigger, it goes. accurate, low recoil. i have no experience with the px4, but i love the p226.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Go to a store that has several different handguns on the shelf. Find one that feels good in your hand. The perfect gun for me is likely way wrong for you. Sig and HK make very high quality guns. They tend to be a bit expensive. Smith & Wesson and Ruger make very good quality guns for a bit less. Glock, Beretta, FN, Steyer, Colt, Walther, Mauser etc. are good quality.

Above all it must fit. Fit your hand, your desired mission, your size and concealability needs, your caliber requirements, etc.

All of the above are capable of shooting far better than you are. Get what feels right and buy a bunch of ammo (a case) and shoot it regularly to get proficient.