Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which is the best handgun maker?

View Poll Results: Best Handgun Maker
HK 5 29.41%
Glock 6 35.29%
Springfield 3 17.65%
Smith & Wesson 2 11.76%
Colt 3 17.65%
Sig 2 11.76%
Taurus 1 5.88%
CZ 5 29.41%
Beretta 1 5.88%
Ruger 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which is the best handgun maker?

Over the years I have uesd many handguns, but I have come to decide that HK ranks at the very top. Would like to know your opinion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #2

I'd have to say either smith and wesson or possibly ruger.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #3

They all have strengths and they all have weaknesses. Best depends on what you decide is best.

If I had to give my personal opinion for over all usefulness, trust me it pains me to say this as a rabid 1911 shooter, but Glock. Dependability, accuracy, simple design.

The Croatian made Springfield tagged XD or M&P I feel could be lumped in with time after they are around for a while and get the same reputation as Glock.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd take a Glock over anything out there.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your question made me realize just how lucky we are these days. I remember when the only decent guns around were Smiths and Colts--and Smith went through a period back in the 60s or 70s when they were making junk.

Today, look what we've got: Smith and Colt, but also Glock, SIG, H&K, Ruger, Kahr, Para-Ordnance, Springfield Armory, Beretta, Browning, Kimber, Freedom Arms, Walther and so many more... Even the 2nd-tier makers like Taurus, CZ and EAA make first-class guns now. Plus, custom gunsmiths used to be few and far between, and you took your chances on the quality of their work (or waited for many months); now they're all over the place, and damned fine ones, too.

It's enough to bring tears to an old handgunner's eyes. Good time to be a shooter, people. You young guys don't know how good you've got it.

I'm an old guy. I vote Colt.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #6

Default HK Glock and Sig!

Well, Colt is great gun, butmy experience with all of them listed have made me partial to three which are HK, Glock and Sig. They make fine handguns, but no doubt rest are also good. I think my question is really subjective one since it really comes down to personal choice, and I always thought that no matter how many rifles you own (since different caliber for different purpose) in terms of handgun you should just own one. This to practice on it and make sure you can use it well rather then having collection of them. To think of it, I need to heed my own advice.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Maybe two... or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot! View Post
Well, Colt is great gun, butmy experience with all of them listed have made me partial to three which are HK, Glock and Sig. They make fine handguns, but no doubt rest are also good. I think my question is really subjective one since it really comes down to personal choice, and I always thought that no matter how many rifles you own (since different caliber for different purpose) in terms of handgun you should just own one. This to practice on it and make sure you can use it well rather then having collection of them. To think of it, I need to heed my own advice.
Yeah, there was a saying in the old West: "Beware the man with one gun." I'd have to say at least two, though; a full-sized battle pistol, and a smaller, more concealable weapon (since it's no longer common to see men walking around with hoglegs on their hips).

Speaking of which, I'd also like a SAA, just for the history.

And a Luger P-08, ditto.

And maybe an 1860 Army, for...

Oh, well. You get the drift.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Too bad I missed this one.

I don't like mouse guns that much. Probably because I have large hands, and small guns tend to get lost in my hands. I also don't care for guns that don't have a manual safety. Then again, when I was last in the military, the 1911 was the standard issue pistol.

However, I've had such fantastic good luck with Taurus firearms, my vote would have been for them.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 12-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #9

Again I vote for Glock as my first choice, Secondly it would be a 1911 or a clone such as the Springfield. Third (turd) choice would be Taurus such as their Millenium line. JMHO

Old 12-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default Best

Most are good to very good. Anyone can get lucky and build a good gun every so often. Even the best can good on occasion. Overall quality is, IMHO, at an all time high. Many very good makers. Colt, Smith, Ruger, Glock, Springfield, HK, Sig, Beretta, Walther etc. The list goes on and on.
I think you should 1st detemine the mission (concealed carry, hunting etc) and narrow down type/caliber (.22 Semi-auto, .380 pocket pistol or .44 mag revolver), Then find one that fits your hand and is easily operated within your limitations. Work within your budget but remember, You get what you pay for. On the flip side, a $3500 STI open class comp gun may not fit with your needs.