Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Which is the best handgun maker? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-handgun-maker-1706/)

OneShot! 08-15-2007 07:06 PM

Which is the best handgun maker?

Over the years I have uesd many handguns, but I have come to decide that HK ranks at the very top. Would like to know your opinion.

Dutch 08-16-2007 12:39 AM

I'd have to say either smith and wesson or possibly ruger.

Etho 08-17-2007 11:09 PM

They all have strengths and they all have weaknesses. Best depends on what you decide is best.

If I had to give my personal opinion for over all usefulness, trust me it pains me to say this as a rabid 1911 shooter, but Glock. Dependability, accuracy, simple design.

The Croatian made Springfield tagged XD or M&P I feel could be lumped in with time after they are around for a while and get the same reputation as Glock.

RMTactical 08-17-2007 11:48 PM

I'd take a Glock over anything out there.

cnorman18 08-18-2007 03:16 AM

Your question made me realize just how lucky we are these days. I remember when the only decent guns around were Smiths and Colts--and Smith went through a period back in the 60s or 70s when they were making junk.

Today, look what we've got: Smith and Colt, but also Glock, SIG, H&K, Ruger, Kahr, Para-Ordnance, Springfield Armory, Beretta, Browning, Kimber, Freedom Arms, Walther and so many more... Even the 2nd-tier makers like Taurus, CZ and EAA make first-class guns now. Plus, custom gunsmiths used to be few and far between, and you took your chances on the quality of their work (or waited for many months); now they're all over the place, and damned fine ones, too.

It's enough to bring tears to an old handgunner's eyes. Good time to be a shooter, people. You young guys don't know how good you've got it.

I'm an old guy. I vote Colt.

OneShot! 08-18-2007 01:45 PM

HK Glock and Sig!

Well, Colt is great gun, butmy experience with all of them listed have made me partial to three which are HK, Glock and Sig. They make fine handguns, but no doubt rest are also good. I think my question is really subjective one since it really comes down to personal choice, and I always thought that no matter how many rifles you own (since different caliber for different purpose) in terms of handgun you should just own one. This to practice on it and make sure you can use it well rather then having collection of them. To think of it, I need to heed my own advice.

cnorman18 08-18-2007 07:03 PM

Maybe two... or...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneShot! (Post 6806)
Well, Colt is great gun, butmy experience with all of them listed have made me partial to three which are HK, Glock and Sig. They make fine handguns, but no doubt rest are also good. I think my question is really subjective one since it really comes down to personal choice, and I always thought that no matter how many rifles you own (since different caliber for different purpose) in terms of handgun you should just own one. This to practice on it and make sure you can use it well rather then having collection of them. To think of it, I need to heed my own advice.

Yeah, there was a saying in the old West: "Beware the man with one gun." I'd have to say at least two, though; a full-sized battle pistol, and a smaller, more concealable weapon (since it's no longer common to see men walking around with hoglegs on their hips).

Speaking of which, I'd also like a SAA, just for the history.

And a Luger P-08, ditto.

And maybe an 1860 Army, for...

Oh, well. You get the drift.

Big Gay Al 12-13-2007 10:28 PM

Too bad I missed this one. ;)

I don't like mouse guns that much. Probably because I have large hands, and small guns tend to get lost in my hands. I also don't care for guns that don't have a manual safety. Then again, when I was last in the military, the 1911 was the standard issue pistol.

However, I've had such fantastic good luck with Taurus firearms, my vote would have been for them.

BlueXJ 12-14-2007 11:25 AM

Again I vote for Glock as my first choice, Secondly it would be a 1911 or a clone such as the Springfield. Third (turd) choice would be Taurus such as their Millenium line. JMHO

robocop10mm 12-14-2007 01:47 PM

Best

Most are good to very good. Anyone can get lucky and build a good gun every so often. Even the best can good on occasion. Overall quality is, IMHO, at an all time high. Many very good makers. Colt, Smith, Ruger, Glock, Springfield, HK, Sig, Beretta, Walther etc. The list goes on and on.
I think you should 1st detemine the mission (concealed carry, hunting etc) and narrow down type/caliber (.22 Semi-auto, .380 pocket pistol or .44 mag revolver), Then find one that fits your hand and is easily operated within your limitations. Work within your budget but remember, You get what you pay for. On the flip side, a $3500 STI open class comp gun may not fit with your needs.