Best Gun Under $300 - 1st Gun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best Gun Under $300 - 1st Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Zor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Gun Under $300 - 1st Gun

Hello,

I am new to guns so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I live in new jersey and I would like to get my first gun. I feel that it is important to be able to protect myself and my family. Plus with the way things are going the country could collapse and we'll have to live off the land again, meaning hunting and surviving on our own. Basically some "end of the world insurance" I was wondering what the best hand gun might be under $300. I have been looking around but I truly know nothing about guns and would like to get the best one possible for my money. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Almost nothing new is available for that price that would be a good all-purpose gun. Perhaps a good used .38 Special revolver would be your best bet for that price.

I gave you a handgun response as that's where you posted this (and even though you posted in semi-auto, I recommended a revolver). If I had $300 to spend on a single general purpose gun - it would be a 12 gauge pump shotgun...

Last edited by NGIB; 11-12-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would 1st suggest going over to the introductions section.

I'm sure some more experienced guys will chime in but I just spent the last 3 months searching out my 1st gun. $300 and under is going to be a tough price range, you basically will have 2 options, used or a basic/entry level gun. IMHO, I would bump up to the $500 range which will open you up to a number of high quality guns from a number of manufactures.

Find a gun shop that rents guns and try everything that you can, then come back here and do search's on those guns.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #4

For a first gun don't rule out something in .22lr. A great caliber for a first gun as lots of range time can be had for very little financial outlay. And there are several .22 pistols to be had for under $300. My HP22 is a fine example. A used Ruger MkII would also be a decent choice.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Hello,

I am new to guns so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I live in new jersey and I would like to get my first gun. I feel that it is important to be able to protect myself and my family. Plus with the way things are going the country could collapse and we'll have to live off the land again, meaning hunting and surviving on our own. Basically some "end of the world insurance" I was wondering what the best hand gun might be under $300. I have been looking around but I truly know nothing about guns and would like to get the best one possible for my money. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
the noisey cricket

Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First, go over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about yourself.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If i could only have one gun & it had to be under $300, i would go with my mossberg 500 shotgun with the 28" hunting barrel & the 18.5" home defense barrel. I bought mine very used some years ago, but i'd bet you could find one in your price range. Further, i would think shotgun ammo would be least likely to be restricted by any future government regulations as it has such a history with hunting (what did Cheney shoot his hunting buddy with, yep ). Additionally, many areas require lots of paperwork or permits for handguns while they cut shotguns a bit of a break (so i'm told). A pump shotgun is also very simple, almost instinctive to operate. You can get a lot better shotty for $300 than you can get in a handgun.

If i had $300 for a handgun, i'd look for a good used revolver. I have seen some nice-looking, used ruger .357's for not too much more online. edit* J&G Sales has what looks like some police trade-in revolvers in your price range http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431 , but i've not bought from them myself. I have heard some good comments from other buyers.

Welcome!

Last edited by orangello; 11-12-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

but the damage is uncompareable
noisycricket.jpg  

Old 11-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Zor

I apologize for not reading the introduction section before posting. I guess I should have included a little about myself. I am 22 years old and an average sized person. I am not looking for a revolver but some type of other pistol. While searching I found this gun for about $320, is it a decent gun? What time of specs should I be looking at to judge the gun? WaltherPrecision.com: Walther P22-CA Military Green - California Legal 22LR S

Something kind of like that I'm thinking unless it terrible since I truly have no idea.

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh also I really like this quote Jusselin ""A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson"

Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Look for a well loved Sig 226. In this economy, a lot of people are selling off guns to feed the family.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Newest Threads