Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best first semi-auto for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1172 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1752

Most semiauto's are not big problems when it comes to recoil. The recoil is generally straight to the rear, not likely to cause any serious discomfort. A small, lightweight gun is easy to conceal and carry, but a heavier one would be easier on recoil. She should try several guns and pick what meets her needs so far as carrying is concerned, but still feels OK to her when she shoots it. The choice should be hers.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 03-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #32

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3spur View Post
Yes, I'm going with the RugerSR9, my son-in law has one, and I liked it real well, just waiting my month out, since I just bought a 22 last month. I can't wait
Ah, I missed this until now. Glad to hear you got the Ruger, good choice. Did you go with the SR9 or SR9C? The reason I mention this is because CA limits you to 10 rounds you don't pay much of a penalty going with the smaller SR9C which holds 10 rounds and weighs about 23 oz vs. 26 for the SR9 (so recoil will be about the same). I mentioned this before above and it is an important consideration in a ban state like CA.

I guess you're locked in now but if not you might want to do another crash comparison between the two Rugers. Not trying to burst your balloon just mentioning in case this was missed before - and there is nothing wrong with the bigger Ruger except if you ever plan to conceal carry the smaller gun is easier.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #33

I went with the full size SR9, mostly because I called Guntalk and was given that recommendation by Tom Gresham, I love that show!! I loved shooting the gun too. I'm still waiting, it's been 2 1/2 weeks, I'm getting anxious!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #34

Well the full size SR9 is a good choice and the important thing is that you liked it when you had a chance to shoot one.

Hope you get it very soon!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I live in nor cal too, the 'one hand gun a month' rule is maddening. I would highly recommend going to one of the shops around that have indoor ranges so you can try before you buy, and can practice while you wait

Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #36

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3spur View Post
Yes, I'm going with the RugerSR9, my son-in law has one, and I liked it real well, just waiting my month out, since I just bought a 22 last month. I can't wait
Why do you have to wait before you get your pistol? That is why I love living here in Az. No limit on mag capacity or how many you buy in a day.

Have you looked at Sig's line of P series pistols? I have the P-220/226/229/239/232 and love to shoot all of the. My wife loves my 220 and 226.

Was thinking about getting a Ruger SR9 as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
Why do you have to wait before you get your pistol? That is why I love living here in Az. No limit on mag capacity or how many you buy in a day...
Same here but we have to keep it that way. Crazy that you could live 50 feet from a free state line and that short distance determines what you can and can't do. Hopefully the tide is still moving toward freer gun laws for honest citizens and that the ban states will get on board with the rest of the US. The way to do that is with your vote.

______

Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #38

It is stupid laws like the "one gun" a month, having a limit on mag capacity or not being able to CCW that keep me from going to places like Kalifornia, Illinois, or New York, etc.

Hell I do not even go into a business that does not allow me to carry my weapon. Principal's

Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf
It is stupid laws like the "one gun" a month, having a limit on mag capacity or not being able to CCW that keep me from going to places like Kalifornia, Illinois, or New York, etc.

Hell I do not even go into a business that does not allow me to carry my weapon. Principal's
I know, dumb rules!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
I live in nor cal too, the 'one hand gun a month' rule is maddening. I would highly recommend going to one of the shops around that have indoor ranges so you can try before you buy, and can practice while you wait
FatTire is right, if you can go to a local gun range and let her try out the different handguns. What will work for you might not work for her.

My wife has to use a Glock 19 for work but she would rather carry my Sig P220 or my P226. But she usually carries my Taurus Model 85 or my S&W Bodyguard, both in .38 Spl.