Best first semi-auto for home defense - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best first semi-auto for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3spur
What do you guys suggest as first pistol for a women, was thinking of Glock 19 or the Ruger SR9, don't want much recoil. Any help appreciated, and I live in Northern CA, wonder if there are restrictions here???
For a woman a revolver is always a good choice, but my wife picked out smith and Wesson 9mm bc of the grip and the amount of ammo it holds (16) and it was easy for her to control the recoil on it.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #22

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3spur View Post
Thank you all for the great advice, I actually was able to get though to Tom Gresham on the GunTalk Radio Show, he said essentially the same thing as you all. So I'm going to a Gun shop this Thursday and I will check out some pistols
Good to know Tom was on the same page as us, we taught him everything he knows!

Anyway, good luck and let us know how your quest goes, 3spur! It is important to look at all the models in your price range and see how they handle for you. If a gun feels right and has logical controls you'll probably also like how it shoots. Not always true but often will be. Don't forget the models that have adjustable grips like the S&W M&P and Gen 4 Glock 19 (if you can buy that in CA) as they fit a lot of hands by changing the backstraps.

One thing about the Glock, which is my choice, it does not have a manual safety which makes it a very easy gun to operate but some people want a safety they can click on and off. With the Glock you must keep the trigger covered in a good holster for a manual safety. The Glock has internal safeties but once you put your finger on the trigger and pull they disengage automatically. That's something to look at at the gun shop, have them show you how it works, as you may like it or may hate it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #23

Something I forgot to mention... when at the gun shop ask to see examples of the different trigger actions: single action only, single/double action and double action only. Since you have a revolver you're probably familiar with these terms, as many revolvers are single/double action. Single action is where the hammer is already cocked so pulling the trigger is light, short and easy since it just does one thing, release the hammer. Double action mode is longer and heavier since the trigger must cock then drop the hammer.

It pretty much works the same way in semiautos other than for single action mode the slide's recoil automatically cocks the hammer for you while with a revolver you must cock the hammer manually. The 1911 and Hi Power are good examples of SA only. And for autos that are SA/DA (like the Beretta 92) the first trigger pull usually is long and heavy and subseqent shots are SA with the light trigger because the slide/recoil now cocks the hammer. SA/DA can be a little complex and have a hammer drop feature lots of people don't like so be aware of what many of us think is unnecessary complexity. And there are DA only (DAO) semiautos where slide recoil does not cock the hammer (or internal striker) so each trigger pull is long and heavy (which many people think is safer and easier to control and easier to understand).

Glock is an exception, they call their trigger action Safe Action but the BATF classifies it as DAO. There's a lot of disagreement on this but the Glock doesn't have the long heavy trigger of a true DAO auto or revolver. It's not super light but I think it operates much more like single action only since the slide must cock the hammer/striker. Anyway, doesn't matter except definitely have the salesman show you how the different trigger actions operate. If he is not helpful I'd ask for someone who's willing to take the time. You'll find you prefer one trigger action over the others so it is important to find out before you buy.

For what it's worth my preference is SAO since I've carried a 1911 with me since 1976 and now carry a Glock 40S&W.

Another important thing 3spur, if you're limited to 10rd magazines in CA, then going with a smaller gun makes sense. You mention the Glock 19 which normally uses a 15rd magazine but the smaller (but also 9mm) Glock 26 holds 10 yet doesn't recoil much more than a G19 since the weight is almost the same! You can get an add-on pinky rest like the Pearce finger extension if your little finger won't fit on the grip. Pretty much the same goes for the Ruger SR9 and SR9c.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #24

Great information that is much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Don't forget to pick up a 22 as well. Easier and cheaper to practice the fundamentals while you take a break. Ideally, the 22 should be the same type plus manufacturer as your primary weapon of choice.

Some prefer conversion kits but I like a new gun.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #26

3spur, have you made a choice by now? I hope you've been able to try out a few models.

______

Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
3spur, have you made a choice by now? I hope you've been able to try out a few models.
Yes, I'm going with the RugerSR9, my son-in law has one, and I liked it real well, just waiting my month out, since I just bought a 22 last month. I can't wait

Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 770

I hate stupid laws.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3spur

Yes, I'm going with the RugerSR9, my son-in law has one, and I liked it real well, just waiting my month out, since I just bought a 22 last month. I can't wait
That's why I love PA, no waiting!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #30

My wife loved our Glock 19 until I picked up a Walther PPQ in 9mm. Once she fired that gun it was all over. She has smallish hands and the small backstrap fit her hand like a glove.
She blew through 200 rounds the other night and still wanted more.
So far we have put well over 1000 rounds through it and its been flawless.
I love Glocks but at least consider the PPQ.
Either way, you can't go wrong!