Best Cheap 45 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best Cheap 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Remember the old adage "You get what you pay for" meaning the money you invest in a firearm may be all that keeps you alive in the end. So think long and hard before trusting your life to a "cheap" firearm. Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think that's an "old adage" for a reason. Low cost doesn't necessarily mean cheaply made.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 12-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with both Al and BlueXJ. The broad surface view is "you get what you pay for" which holds true fairly often, most of the time really, however if you do the research, test the gun and really look at its components you can buy an inexpensive reliable gun.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What I can add to this, the basic EAA (Tanfoglio manufactured) Witness does generally go for under $400.00. There are more expensive versions. But in all cases, it does have a following. With it's ability to change calibers, and being a pistol that is made in 10mm auto, among other calibers.

It's relatively popular among fans of the 10mm cartridge. If you don't believe me, check out http://www.10mmtalk.com .

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #25

The Rock Island is way better than most of your list. I have a Ruger P97 and it is durable and a pretty good shooter, though it only likes full power 230 grain round noses. It isn't reliable with wadcutters and no light loads at all.
Unless you are a gunsmith, the old discontinued stuff might end up being more expensive than new.
Used current production guns can be a good deal, I just bought a used XD for $375 and it is a good gun. The S&W M&P is available new for around $500 and there is a $50 rebate with 2 extra magazines included through January. Springfield Armory has some reasonable 1911s and the Taurus 1911 has gotten some good reviews. The Taurus Millennium Pro and 24/7 lines are good guns in the $350-$400 range, I have a Millennium in .40S&W and like it.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson133 View Post
The Rock Island is way better than most of your list. I have a Ruger P97 and it is durable and a pretty good shooter, though it only likes full power 230 grain round noses. It isn't reliable with wadcutters and no light loads at all.
Unless you are a gunsmith, the old discontinued stuff might end up being more expensive than new.
Used current production guns can be a good deal, I just bought a used XD for $375 and it is a good gun. The S&W M&P is available new for around $500 and there is a $50 rebate with 2 extra magazines included through January. Springfield Armory has some reasonable 1911s and the Taurus 1911 has gotten some good reviews. The Taurus Millennium Pro and 24/7 lines are good guns in the $350-$400 range, I have a Millennium in .40S&W and like it.
Yes indeed. My Taurus Millennium Pro 140SSP was only $309 NIB. For the money it would be hard to beat. No hiccups yet at 600 rounds of WWB ball ammo and about 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot so far. It has been perfect and will replace my P3AT now for CCW.

Maybe some day I'll spring for an $800 or $900 pistol but for now I can see no reason for it. My G22 for home defense cost me too much because I was dumb enough to buy it at Gander Mountain. Never again.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had The EAA .45, and while it was very accurate, it wasn't reliable, even with round noses, even with new mags from pro-mag and even bought 2 new EAA mags, and still not 100%. But it was very accurate. I've also had a AMT hardballer, and it was good, but it had a lot of work done to it before I got it, as it would even feed 185 SWC's without a bobble. I now own a Rock Island, as while it does only like round noses, it will shoot awesome.(way better than the Colt 1991-A1 I paid way too much for) In fact I traded my EAA and $75 for it. I think I got a good deal. That probably works out to about $300.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Llama 45, as well as under Firestorm 45, - They exist in small numbers, no long imported as of a while back, best I was told?
Actually, they're no longer in business as of 2003.

There are probably a few sitting around in gun shops and distributor warehouses around the country, but I don't think they're of high enough quality to go to the trouble of trying to locate one.