Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best Cheap 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Cheap 45

These are my choices, what would the best gun be out of these?

Star M-45 Firestar
Norinco .45
Llama .45
AMT hardballer
Ruger P97
Norinco
CZ-97
Ballester-Molina
EAA witness

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best "Cheap" 45?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

First off, I'm sure that you meant reasonable price 45? Cheap is not a word that works well with guns of any knind, in my opinion?

You did not state your location, in the usa, Canada or where, so I will assume the us?

That brings you to a few problem cases, as in the :

Norenco 1911 45 - No Longer imported into the us, for a 12 year or so period

Other Norenco, same same

Llama 45, as well as under Firestorm 45, - They exist in small numbers, no long imported as of a while back, best I was told?

AMT Hardballer - Out of Production for over 20 years now? Good luck even finding a used one?

Ballister Mollina - YUP, trhey can be found, but most 45 parts do not interchange Not a bad 45 for the $

Ruger 97, Yup, they are around, giving rugers policy of rather selling to Military and Police than you and Me, I'll never buy a new ruger, but it does work, is reliable and big and blocky

CZ-97 - No data on that one?

Eaa Whitness - Again, I hate to say it, But they disapeared off the gun scene, so I fear they are banned for import?

Star Firestar in 45 - Good pick, but no longer imported, a good gun, but mags are high $

All in all you picked some good and not so good ones, but many that are hard to find, out of production and not imported, whats wrong with:

Springfiend Armory Plain Jane 1911a1 Military, not a lot more $ and a good 45?

Rock island Arsenal 1911A1 and Commander sized one, the compact is banned for import - these are not easily found, but easier than 98% of your list and completely interchangebale with 1911 parts?

Star PD - a lot harder to find, but a used one shows up here and there, for a good $

Colt 1991 a full size or commander size can be had used for a good $ at times and is an option?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Of the guns you listed, I've had experience with the Witness, Ruger, CZ, RIA, Colt and Llama. FWIW, most are good, reliable guns and except for the Llama (got a 50-50 chance of being either very good or junk and they are 75% NOT parts compatable with a mil spec 1911) would be good choices. Personally, I consider the Ruger a "best buy" along with the RIA, Witness and CZ in that order.

Have you considered the Bersa Ultra Compact 45? It's an outstanding gun with everything you'd want on a pistol for $350. It's also made in .40 S&W/9mm and if it's a consideration, the most "lefty" friendly pistol you'll find without having a gun custom made. I've had one for about three years (paid $285 NIB) and think it's the best .45 value you'll find, even for 2 or 3 times the price. While I prefer the 9mm (holds 13+1 vs. 7+1 for the 45), they are my gun of choice when it comes to the biggest "bang" for the buck around today.

b45grip.jpg   bersa45a.jpg  

Last edited by rachilders; 08-20-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

I've got a Ruger P97 and it is honestly the only handgun I own that I can say has been 100% reliable. I've near 10 handguns of different configs.

Stay away from something you cannot get parts for which means the Star and Molina, which I own both and are reliable but if it breaks you are screwed unless you happen across some parts on a board somewhere.

The only Llama I have experience with was a total POS. Wouldn't run if it's life depended on it.

Norinco's have a good track record from what I understand though my personal experience is none. I'd get the Ruger if you must have something now or save for a little longer and get something nicer.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
CZ-97 - No data on that one?
Good gun. Of your choices, that would be what I go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Eaa Whitness - Again, I hate to say it, But they disapeared off the gun scene, so I fear they are banned for import?
A copy of the CZ-97. Another good gun. They're still being imported.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 AM   #6

Default cheap 45

try to find a good used colt, kimber, springfield, expect to pay around $500.00 good luck ,. bobby

YOUR LAST GUN IS NEVER YOUR LAST GUN.
BOBBY

Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Best cheap .45

Springfield Armory makes very high quality 1911's and other guns of course. They also import a model, which they call their "GI" series. They are different from their "Mil-Spec" models. The "GI" pistols meet Springfield's quality, but at a much more reasonable price. I own one (pictured below) and carry it from time-to-time. Although it is called GI, there are some differences between them and real government issued pistols. They come in both stainless, or parkerized, 3", 4" and 5". They can be found at gun shows, or well stocked gun shops. I figure they must be okay, or Springfield would never put their name on it. I've never had a malfunction, with about a thousand rounds through it. It feeds hard-ball and hollow-point ammo equally well.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=16

MSRP $599., but they can be found for less.
I've really gotta work on updating my photos with my new camera.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #8

The is another high quality 1911 that you may want to consider. Have you thought about a Rock Island 1911? I have the 9mm version and is more accurate than I will ever be, and been 100% reliable with any ammo that I have tried to feed it.

GeorgiaPacking.org

Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default best cheap .45

The norinco is all 1911 compatible parts wise so it doesn't matter if it's being imported or not. Same thing with latter llamas-you do however have to be very careful to make sure it's 1 of the 1911 compatible models however. Another idea is essex 1911 frame and slide,These 3,especially norinco or essex can serve as a good base for whatever level custom 1911 you want to build from these pistols. The ballister molina is slightly different as it has pivoting trigger,wider slide/frame rails,and no grip safety among other differences.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #10

cheap 45?
what is the cost of the taurus PT 1911
also the glock model 36 is around $550 isn't it

then there are the two shot derringers in 45acp ro long colt for $400

Attitude is Everything