Best CCW in your opinion. Recomendation needed. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best CCW in your opinion. Recomendation needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

LOL at the Canebrake guarantee

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have to agree with all of you on your different points about carrying CCW .
There is no one "perfect" weapon for CCW carry, I carry 3-4 different pistols as my daily carry weapon. As my primary, depending on the situation I carry my Sig P229 in 9mm, a XD45C in 45ACP or my Sig P239 in 9mm with my Taurus Model 85 as my back up.

You have to carry what is comfortable for you. Make sure you get yourself a good holster, quality spare magazines, a good spare magazine pouch, a flashlight holder, and a good leather belt. All together you may spend as much on theses items as you spend on your weapon.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just my opinion, but the Kahr CW9 (or similar) can't be beat.

It's the right mix for me. 9mm, but not too heavy. I've carried a 1911, a Beretta 92, a Ruger SR9, a Taur8us Ultra-lite 38 and lord only knows what else. The CW9 is reliable and shoots straight.

Just my opinion.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #34
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
Since your friend is a novice, there are a lot of things to consider about which would be a better choice for self defense, here are a few.

In any life and death situation your mind shuts down and you act according to the way you were trained, the best gun and the most target practice that you can get in is not going to save your life if you don't react properly to the threat.
He needs to take a self defense course from a certified firearms combat instructor.

Most newbies buy what they see being used on tv action shows, that's usually a semi-auto, either a 9mm or .45 ACP., the rage today is the .40 S&W.
The problem with most of these for a new shooter is that they have magazines, safeties, slides that have to be racked, and slide releases, and magazine releases, and once they get to the point where they remember all those things and what they do, they manage to get off a magazine or two and all of a sudden the trigger doesn't work, the gun won't fire, then they notice a bullet sticking straight up out of the ejection port, and now they have a problem.
Now all of this is just part of a learning curve, and they'll get through it, but what if this happens in the middle of the night while someone has just broken into his home, or while he's stuck at a light and someone is trying to carjack him and his wife, that's not the time to be learning.

I tell everyone that comes to me with your type of question the same thing.
The best gun for self defense is the one you have with you, most people that I know that carry started out with a 1911, S&W M&P, or a Glock type weapon, they'd carry them for a week or two and then start to leave them at home, they were too heavy. too clumsy, didn't feel right, or pulled their pants down, that's not the gun most people need for protection.
Small semi-auto's have their own set of problems as well, and many of the small 380's and 9mm's are a handfull to shoot.

I suggest that a new gun owner who intends to carry for self defense should buy a small framed, easy to carry and conceal handgun, one that has no buttons, levers, and pieces that have to be fitted and pulled, what he needs is a comfortable gripping gun that all he needs to do is point and shoot, no worry about jams and misfires.

Tell him to buy a J-frame S&W .38 spec. Centenial model, pick up a box of low recoil self defense loads for it, stick it in his pants or jacket pocket and get some instruction.
After he has mastered that little revolver he can buy himself a whole battery of cannons to have and hold, but I'll bet the gun he continues to carry will be the snubbie.

hard to argue owning a J frame the rest of this thought comes to traing/practice. The more you do the better you become at almost any skill. I CC a full size M&P 45 and before that many other full size pistols. I learned a good holster, a good belt and practice made them a reasonable CC choice. There is no magic pistol for those that don't practice. Best advise it to get training to understand the how a firearm will be used in a defense situation then practice what you learned and then find the ouistol that fits your need best

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.