Best CCW in your opinion. Recomendation needed. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best CCW in your opinion. Recomendation needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Scott,

1. How will I carry the weapon? His initial plan is a shoulder holster but I am talking him into a supertuck.
2. What caliber will I carry? He is set at 9mm right now.
3. Where can I play with as many of the choices as possible? Not much ranges available in his area and their rental selection is mediocre. His teacher/friend does have some selection that he lets him shoot. He travels frequently and I might advise him to try ranges in Las Vegas where he will be vacationing in couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As a gun dealer my favorite CCW gun is the one you will carry. I like the Kel-Tec P3AT simply for it's small size & good reliability & Foremost because it is easy to carry, wherever you go & that means you will have 0 excuses for not Always having it right here to save your ass.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Sig idea sounds very good.Also,Smith&Wesson and Springfield make good semi-auto 9mms.

For the 1911,i can honestly say i have had no problems with mine.He might even consider trying it for ccw.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You said money is no object; what about time?

If he isn't in a hurry, I'd recommend getting a bunch of trigger time on a .22. You can learn a lot about what you will like/won't like in a center-fire platform by shooting the smaller platform.

Then I'd recommend buying a full-size 9mm in the platform of his choice (DA/SA, SA, DAO or striker-fired). Again, some time with one of these will let him know what he likes and doesn't.

If he's happy with the platform, get a compact version of the same gun. If he's unhappy with the platform, either get another full-size in a different platform or, if he's sure he'll like a different platform, get the compact version of that platform. For instance, if he buys a full-size DA/SA gun, but doesn't like that it the trigger pulls differently on the first shot than it does on the follow-up, then he be sure that he wants a striker-fired pistol. So he could go ahead and get a Glock 19, XD compact, etc.

You might also want him to look at a Kahr or Walther PPS in addition to the other fine choices that others have recommended.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

If he's not enamored by capacity, a P239 is a great gun (have 2 myself). Other smallish 9mm guns I've owned have been Kahr's - a CW9 is a great carry piece and cheaper than the P9...

(BTW - I hate seeing the word "best" in any thread title)

Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
(BTW - I hate seeing the word "best" in any thread title)
"Best" is a very inappropriately used word in most instances. This would be one of them. There is no such thing as a "best" gun... no matter what the Glock mafia tells you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guys,

I know "best" is highly subjective but I am asking for YOUR personal opinion/recommendation based on YOUR experience or knowledge. It is just a word (adjective) and I think it is foolish to ask for a mediocre one...don't you think? I don't care whether others agree (or disagree) with your opinion. I am just trying to get a compilation of pistols to be considered from those who have more know how than me. Honestly, I am not sure if he will buy any of the recommended guns after trying them.

To those who gave their suggestions...thanks a lot!!!

Re; time, he wants to CC as soon as he can but the soonest will probably be mid-February. He is trying to hit the range daily right now using as many different guns he can get his hands on.

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
My brother-in-law is asking for a good conceal carry weapon. Price is of no object and he plans on trying/shooting whatever will be recommended before buying but he is a total novice (though going through his class right now) and narrowing the list will help him tremendously.

He tried shooting several 45's and 9mm, a couple SW revolver and leaning towards a 9mm pistol for his CCW and .45 (1911) HD weapon.

He is smallish in stature; about 5'-6" and 160 pounds. Wears about 34" pants, M/L shirts.

Again, he wants a 9mm and currently, he is considering Sig 239.

Thank you for your assistance.
Since your friend is a novice, there are a lot of things to consider about which would be a better choice for self defense, here are a few.

In any life and death situation your mind shuts down and you act according to the way you were trained, the best gun and the most target practice that you can get in is not going to save your life if you don't react properly to the threat.
He needs to take a self defense course from a certified firearms combat instructor.

Most newbies buy what they see being used on tv action shows, that's usually a semi-auto, either a 9mm or .45 ACP., the rage today is the .40 S&W.
The problem with most of these for a new shooter is that they have magazines, safeties, slides that have to be racked, and slide releases, and magazine releases, and once they get to the point where they remember all those things and what they do, they manage to get off a magazine or two and all of a sudden the trigger doesn't work, the gun won't fire, then they notice a bullet sticking straight up out of the ejection port, and now they have a problem.
Now all of this is just part of a learning curve, and they'll get through it, but what if this happens in the middle of the night while someone has just broken into his home, or while he's stuck at a light and someone is trying to carjack him and his wife, that's not the time to be learning.

I tell everyone that comes to me with your type of question the same thing.
The best gun for self defense is the one you have with you, most people that I know that carry started out with a 1911, S&W M&P, or a Glock type weapon, they'd carry them for a week or two and then start to leave them at home, they were too heavy. too clumsy, didn't feel right, or pulled their pants down, that's not the gun most people need for protection.
Small semi-auto's have their own set of problems as well, and many of the small 380's and 9mm's are a handfull to shoot.

I suggest that a new gun owner who intends to carry for self defense should buy a small framed, easy to carry and conceal handgun, one that has no buttons, levers, and pieces that have to be fitted and pulled, what he needs is a comfortable gripping gun that all he needs to do is point and shoot, no worry about jams and misfires.

Tell him to buy a J-frame S&W .38 spec. Centenial model, pick up a box of low recoil self defense loads for it, stick it in his pants or jacket pocket and get some instruction.
After he has mastered that little revolver he can buy himself a whole battery of cannons to have and hold, but I'll bet the gun he continues to carry will be the snubbie.

Last edited by Moe M.; 01-04-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
Since your friend is a novice, there are a lot of things to consider about which would be a better choice for self defense, here are a few.

In any life and death situation your mind shuts down and you act according to the way you were trained, the best gun and the most target practice that you can get in is not going to save your life if you don't react properly to the threat.
He needs to take a self defense course from a certified firearms combat instructor.

Most newbies buy what they see being used on tv action shows, that's usually a semi-auto, either a 9mm or .45 ACP., the rage today is the .40 S&W.
The problem with most of these for a new shooter is that they have magazines, safeties, slides that have to be racked, and slide releases, and magazine releases, and once they get to the point where they remember all those things and what they do, they manage to get off a magazine or two and all of a sudden the trigger doesn't work, the gun won't fire, then they notice a bullet sticking straight up out of the ejection port, and now they have a problem.
Now all of this is just part of a learning curve, and they'll get through it, but what if this happens in the middle of the night while someone has just broken into his home, or while he's stuck at a light and someone is trying to carjack him and his wife, that's not the time to be learning.

I tell everyone that comes to me with your type of question the same thing.
The best gun for self defense is the one you have with you, most people that I know that carry started out with a 1911, S&W M&P, or a Glock type weapon, they'd carry them for a week or two and then start to leave them at home, they were too heavy. too clumsy, didn't feel right, or pulled their pants down, that's not the gun most people need for protection.
Small semi-auto's have their own set of problems as well, and many of the small 380's and 9mm's are a handfull to shoot.

I suggest that a new gun owner who intends to carry for self defense should buy a small framed, easy to carry and conceal handgun, one that has no buttons, levers, and pieces that have to be fitted and pulled, what he needs is a comfortable gripping gun that all he needs to do is point and shoot, no worry about jams and misfires.

Tell him to buy a J-frame S&W .38 spec. Centenial model, pick up a box of low recoil self defense loads for it, stick it in his pants or jacket pocket and get some instruction.
After he has mastered that little revolver he can buy himself a whole battery of cannons to have and hold, but I'll bet the gun he continues to carry will be the snubbie.
Excellent advice. Buy something you are willing to carry. It has to be simple, light and concealable.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is no such thing as a one-gun-fits-all. What works for me, won't necessarily work for anyone else. Carrying a concealed firearm is a very personal thing. If he has found a pistol that he likes, then that is the one he should get. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

I would recommend he take professional self defense training, which is a totally different animal than a concealed carry class.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved